The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:43 am

introduced Will to the delights of Cathedral Quarter last night
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:04 am

It was a hell of a lot tastier than the Budweiser I thought was the only drinkable beer there. My state of sobriety might have blurred my memory as to its subtleties on flavour though.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am

I was delighted to find Hobgoblin on tap at Katie Fitzgerald's in Stourbridge the other night, until I tasted it. Completely flat and went down like water. I paid £2.60 for it so finished it but I am disappoint.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:14 am

man its been a while since I went on a ale crawl better have walk round this week
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Bought a pint of Old Hooky last night, it had gone off. I know it's meant to be bitter, but not sour :lol:
Swapped it for a Broadside, which also tasted a bit naff (who the fuck is looking after the cellar??) so moved on to "cider" (the validity of Brothers Toffee Apple and Stella Cidre as ciders is up for argument).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Another Wetherspoons ale festival starts this week. I look forward to it. The choice last night was very poor. The only ones was a mild, a ginger ale and some nutty one. Didn't like the look of any of them and was forced to drink Ruddles.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm

tranmerefan wrote:Another Wetherspoons ale festival starts this week. I look forward to it. The choice last night was very poor. The only ones was a mild, a ginger ale and some nutty one. Didn't like the look of any of them and was forced to drink Ruddles.

Ruddles isn't too bad when there's nothing else on - especially for the price.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Aye it's alright. Wanted something I hadn't had before though.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

doesn't seem to be anything in the way of speciality beers this time at the spoons fest. The speciality stouts have always been hit and miss but always fun to try.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I was rather happy with Doom Bar. Went down like a dream in Bristol. I think my only gripe is it was a bit on the weak side, as I sank pint after pint of the bastards, but I enjoyed it otherwise.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I had a few pints of Doom Bar at my Grandad's party a few weeks ago. Nice beer, goes down really smooth and the low percentage makes it good for a session (especially when you're at a family gathering :lol: )
Just had a pint of the Oatmeal Porter in the current Wetherspoon Ale Festival. Nice stuff, that.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

The Toad
Paster of Muppets

Postby The Toad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Lymestone Brewery do a honey stout called Stone brood that's fantastic - bloody lethal as well! I discovered a beer called The Wizard in the KPA the other as well, which was pretty good - not as good as the Black Sabbath I had in there the time before, but still good.

That reminds me - it's the Stoke beerfest this week!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 pm

I really feel like I have missed out. I dont believe I have been to one beer festival, apart from the crap ones that the local does, and very often I have already had the ales available. There is a Solihull ale festival that ive been told about. Sod it, time to go on a google spree.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Turbo wrote:I really feel like I have missed out. I dont believe I have been to one beer festival, apart from the crap ones that the local does, and very often I have already had the ales available. There is a Solihull ale festival that ive been told about. Sod it, time to go on a google spree.

Next summer, get yourself to Peterborough and come to our Beer Festival. I don't think it's anything special as far as beer festivals go, but it's a good laugh and you can crash on my floor :yes:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Applecore wrote:
Turbo wrote:I really feel like I have missed out. I dont believe I have been to one beer festival, apart from the crap ones that the local does, and very often I have already had the ales available. There is a Solihull ale festival that ive been told about. Sod it, time to go on a google spree.

Next summer, get yourself to Peterborough and come to our Beer Festival. I don't think it's anything special as far as beer festivals go, but it's a good laugh and you can crash on my floor :yes:

Sweet! Geez a shout closer to the time and I might just have to take your offer up on that.

Solihull beer festival was a week and a half ago. Quality. Just another 50.5 weeks to go until the next one.