The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Kaahl
Consort of the Beast

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby Kaahl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

It has the flavour and aroma of bourbon, but obviously not the strength. It's also rather sweet. Quite pleasant really.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Really enjoyed it actually. Again its pretty pricey and I have taken that into consideration as I do with everything, but it was pleasant, and I would buy it again - after all, I do need a four set of these glasses.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Turbo wrote:Really enjoyed it actually. Again its pretty pricey and I have taken that into consideration as I do with everything, but it was pleasant, and I would buy it again - after all, I do need a four set of these glasses.

Now currently one away from that four set. Bought four more bottles with two free glasses now for the Germany game tonight.

valhalla76
Lowly Peon

Postby valhalla76 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Anyone taking there own homebrew this year or just me? :p

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Drank 5 litres of Hobgoblin yesterday. Shall be off the ale for a while, I think :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Went on a trip to Peerless Brewery yesterday. I had pint of Red Rocks, it was very tasty ruby ale, and very drinkable. And I kind of wish I'd stuck with it, but there was a choice of 7 or 8 so felt obliged to try a few other whilst I was there. I had a pint of one called Skyline which was more of a pale bitter. I'm less keen on paler ales, but for what it was it was nice enough. Then had a Full Whack which is a strong pale ale. Though called a pale ale, it isn't that pale I didn't think. I struggled with this one, I felt it didn't go down as easily as the previous two. Then had a quarter of a bottle of Jinja Ninja that a girl I was with had left. I've had it before and whilst it's alright for the odd sample here or there, I couldn't have taken a whole bottle of the stuff. It's like really bland bitter with a ginger, (chili and lemon too I think) after taste.
Then went round the corner to a local spoons, I had a pint of Old Growler, which is a porter I've had before in a bottle. I think I preferred the one in the bottle I'd had previously, which is rare. Then followed that with a Liverpool One Brewery's 'Liverpool Dark' which was another porter. Then back to Leigh for a Weston's Country Perry which whilst being alright is probably my 3rd choice of the 3 perries they seem to do. (They only seem to have one on at once though.)
Then went down the road and had a drink that went by the name of Super Nova, but I haven't a clue who it was by. And after googling I can only find two likely contenders, one's 13.1% and the other was Dark, of which my pint was neither. To be honest it was a bit dull and I didn't finish it. A bit of a poor end to a day that had some quite tasty ales.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Red Rocks is lovely. Because Peerless is my local brewery most Spoons round here will have a couple of Peerless stuff on at anyone time, usually Red Rocks and another one.

One was a lovely copper ale but the name will escape me until my local has it in again.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:45 pm

^ I've never come across them before, but I was impressed. Assuming it's within the 'spoons in Leigh's buying radius, I might put a word in. And given how nice newky brown is, I think it'd go down very well.

tranmerefan wrote:Red Rocks is lovely. Because Peerless is my local brewery most Spoons round here will have a couple of Peerless stuff on at anyone time, usually Red Rocks and another one.

One was a lovely copper ale but the name will escape me until my local has it in again.

Aye, the Red Rocks was just so flavoursome and not hard to drink at all. Like it'd be a good session beer.
Full Whack seems pretty common from my experience, but I'd assume you'd remember that.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:50 am

I had Williams Brothers Birds And Bees tonight. Has the actual colour of piss but a rather nice fruity summery beverage all things told. I've got their red ale called Cock Of The Walk saved for tomorrow as well, high hopes for that.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Had some pretty good beers at the Mostly Jazz, Funk & Soul fest yesterday.

Mad Goose - not the most flavoursome ale, but very refreshing
Pure UBU - Good flavour, very quaffable
Williams Brothers Draught - Excellent lager, very grapefruity. Like a lager version of Castle Rock's Harvest Pale.
Veltins Pilsenser* - A very nice lager, streets ahead of the lagers you get at most music festivals. Not as good as the Williams Brothers Draught though.

*Not a typo, that's how they spell it.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Went to a cheese shop in Whitstable at the weekend and picked up a bottle of Kent Cider Company's bittersharp blend. Just opened it now. Apples picked, milled and pressed and bottled by hand. However they've made it, it's a corker! It is indeed sharp, dry and very very tasty. Why can't Westons make a cider like this?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 am

Bought some oriental lagers from the Chinese Supermarket - Hite and Sopporo.
No idea if they'll be any good or not, but I won't know until I try them.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am

I think Asian beers are surprisingly good. I go to sushi restaurants quite a bit and pick up the Jap beers on offer. I think Asahi and, im sorry I can't remember for the life of me what its called, I think it has a star on the label, but anyway, they're both very good so id think those Chinese ones will be good too.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:08 am

Turbo wrote: im sorry I can't remember for the life of me what its called, I think it has a star on the label
Could be Sapporo.

That reminds me, Gurkha beer is surprisingly good. Might even be better than Cobra as an accompaniment to curry.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:17 am

Has anyone tried Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout? At a very appealing 14.5%.
I saw it on the menu at the bar I was at, but it was between £15 and £20 for a single bottle, so I decided against it.