The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Purple n Batty
Consort of the Beast

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby Purple n Batty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Have any home beer brewers here successfully used Wilko bottle caps on bottles collected from personal consumption and friends without the use of a capper?

We've now saved enough bottles to get to work on the porter I bought Will for his birthday, have the caps, unsure of whether we need to get the capper for £10.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:39 pm

No, we buy the caps new and have the capper. The only thing we don't buy are the bottles because between myself and my old man, we do get through more than sufficient beer bottles. Only bottles we don't recycle are from Wychwood as our capper doesn't work with, has nothing to grip onto. I know they're not as special as what you've probably accumilated, but 100 bottle caps only costs something like £1.80.

Edit: Sorry didn't read the last bit so ill address that too. The capper is well worth your cash. We bought one and its so bloody quick to do it. I mean when you're making 5 gallons of the stuff which equates to something like 42, 500ml bottles and a dribble in the bottom of the barrel, you'll thank a tool that does the job as quickly as it does. Particularly if you're a keen brewer and like to think of beer made as money saved from supermarkets, whatever the cost of the thing you'll get back very quickly.

Purple n Batty
Consort of the Beast

Postby Purple n Batty » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Turbo wrote:No, we buy the caps new and have the capper. The only thing we don't buy are the bottles because between myself and my old man, we do get through more than sufficient beer bottles. Only bottles we don't recycle are from Wychwood as our capper doesn't work with, has nothing to grip onto. I know they're not as special as what you've probably accumilated, but 100 bottle caps only costs something like £1.80.

Edit: Sorry didn't read the last bit so ill address that too. The capper is well worth your cash. We bought one and its so bloody quick to do it. I mean when you're making 5 gallons of the stuff which equates to something like 42, 500ml bottles and a dribble in the bottom of the barrel, you'll thank a tool that does the job as quickly as it does. Particularly if you're a keen brewer and like to think of beer made as money saved from supermarkets, whatever the cost of the thing you'll get back very quickly.

:yes: Cheers. Will get one ordered then.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Turbo wrote:Any of these Irish ales going to make their way on English shores soon? Wouldn't mind giving them a go myself. When I am back of course.

None that I know of yet. Galway Hooker you might be able to find on guest taps around Britain occasionally but that's about it. I have most of the breweries on facebook now though so I'll give you a shout if they start expanding. I think Spoons may have had a Hilden beer in one of their last festivals, hopefully they do that again.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:11 pm

...but is it good?

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:18 am

Innis & Gunn are fine as fuck beers. If you ever get a chance, try their Scottish stout matured in an Irish whisky cask. Smooth as a goose's neck.

Their lager is also surprisingly good, and has some decent flavour to it.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 pm

I think I only had the one that was available in Sainsburys. Was a nice drop of stuff, not keen on the small bottles though. If I am spending £2 I want at least 500mls worth. I can't remember for the life of me what it was called mind so pointless post is pointless.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm

I agree, Innis and Gunn are Boss. I'm quite partial to the rum finish myself.

I think they are quite sweet, which works for me, but I can see some being put off by that.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:06 am

I haven't seen any of their fancier ones in the supermarkets here but will keep an eye out. Their standard stuff is decent enough though. Night before last I was drinking Rutland Beast in Spoons and that was mighty. "Full-bodied" is an understatement! Undefined fruity finish but I think I could detect plum in it.
Upcoming Gigs

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Getting a new spoons in Shirley. Spoons 15 min walk from where ill be living could turn messy. :yes:

n1489
Definitely Not Nu

Postby n1489 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Mordue Brewery - Workie Ticket. Utterly awesome beer from the North East. Only found this in bottles so far but would love to sample it on tap one day. If you see it and you like classic yet bitters with a bit of complexity you won't be disapointed.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Adnams Mosaic Pale. I always thought of Adnams as being very traditional but this was a great attempt at a North American/BrewDog-style fruity blonde. Can't argue with £1.49 a bottle either!
Upcoming Gigs

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:39 pm

gandalf the red wrote:I've seen Mordue on quite a few times over the years. Normally Radgie Gadgie. Can't remember what it was like though.

Was on holiday in Northumbria last week and almost bought some of that. The best beers I had up there were from the Ship Inn Brewery, which is absolutely tiny. Not sure if their beers are available anywhere other than the Ship Inn. Had a couple of good beers from Alnwick Brewery too.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

n1489
Definitely Not Nu

Postby n1489 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:26 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
gandalf the red wrote:I've seen Mordue on quite a few times over the years. Normally Radgie Gadgie. Can't remember what it was like though.

Was on holiday in Northumbria last week and almost bought some of that. The best beers I had up there were from the Ship Inn Brewery, which is absolutely tiny. Not sure if their beers are available anywhere other than the Ship Inn. Had a couple of good beers from Alnwick Brewery too.

The Ship is a great little pub but has become a little too popular - victims of their own success and such a fantastic location. They brew interesting beers but most are a little light and summery for my taste but certainly not bad at all. I'm pretty sure they don't distribute them beyond the local area.

Anyway it's a cracking part of the country and I wish I could get across there more often.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56 pm

n1489 wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:

The Ship is a great little pub but has become a little too popular - victims of their own success and such a fantastic location. They brew interesting beers but most are a little light and summery for my taste but certainly not bad at all. I'm pretty sure they don't distribute them beyond the local area.

Anyway it's a cracking part of the country and I wish I could get across there more often.

Yeah. We managed to eat there at lunchtime but the queue was pretty massive. They were fully booked up for the whole of week in the evenings so we didn't manage to try their dinner menu.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!