What's upset you?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Re: What's upset you?

Postby tranmerefan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:08 am

Moo - you're amazing. :hug:

You're also one of the nicest people I've ever met - I was delighted the other year when I was finally able to stop and have a proper chat with you. :)
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:39 pm

Joe, Hannah, Pete - thank you so much :hug:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:40 pm

fluffymoo wrote:looking for some much needed e-hugs from you lovely people

:hug: :hug: :hug:
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:10 am

E hugs seem empty as fuck but if you're at Damnation ill give you a real hug. If not ill just have to owe you one. I never forget hugs owed. Let that be a warning to you.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Yeah, more bitching about work but when my colleague was off for his Masters graduation ceremony, he had a breakdown in a restaurant in front of his old folks because of all the shit from our boss, and the fact that this job is all he had to show for that level of education.

Feel awful for him but vindicated at the same time. Took his number so I could ping across any job opportunities that crop up.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:48 pm

It's a real pity that people convince you to take a masters. It's the biggest waste of time, just lets you further behind the flock and there are no more job opportunities available to you, than there were before*

*In the case of my beloved sister and housemate and many friends with masters who have been working for a long time in jobs outside of their desired field.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Yeah that's true. My tutors at uni tried to coax me into it but I politely shooed it off - never entertained the idea. Luckily for my mate though, at least a philosophy degree is more 'transferrable' than a music one. But like me, my colleague will put up with working somewhere outside his desired field if you can tolerate who you're working for, which isn't the case presently.

That said though, I don't wanna get to say 40 and wonder why I haven't stuck my neck out and found something music/arts/entertainment related. Then again, with my present unwillingness to move cities for a job and/or put up with at least initial financial instability, I guess I'd have brought that on myself.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 am

NeglectedField wrote:Yeah that's true. My tutors at uni tried to coax me into it but I politely shooed it off - never entertained the idea. Luckily for my mate though, at least a philosophy degree is more 'transferrable' than a music one. But like me, my colleague will put up with working somewhere outside his desired field if you can tolerate who you're working for, which isn't the case presently.

That said though, I don't wanna get to say 40 and wonder why I haven't stuck my neck out and found something music/arts/entertainment related. Then again, with my present unwillingness to move cities for a job and/or put up with at least initial financial instability, I guess I'd have brought that on myself.

As far as I know, the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach philosophy.
And true, if you want a career in those fields, you have to work for free for a while, if you really want it, save the hell up and move. You only get one life, dont fuck about like. Unwillingness is one thing, but I garuntee as long as you don't give up, you wont regret it.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:22 am

Nantha wrote:
As far as I know, the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach philosophy. .

Not really, I have a few friends from university that did philosophy, one is leader of child abuse investigations now for the police, and the other is a computer programmer.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 am

No one I know from my masters course has a job in international relations and I doubt any of them thought they would! I certainly didn't.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:22 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Nantha wrote:
As far as I know, the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach philosophy. .

Not really, I have a few friends from university that did philosophy, one is leader of child abuse investigations now for the police, and the other is a computer programmer.

well sure a piece of paper that says 'degree' is always worth having, but no job will ask for a philosophy degree specifically, unless it's teaching philosophy

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Nantha wrote:
well sure a piece of paper that says 'degree' is always worth having, but no job will ask for a philosophy degree specifically, unless it's teaching philosophy

In the same way that no jobs will ask for an English or History degree, but they are still good academic subjects. A degree is worth having if it's a decent degree in academic subject, and philosophy is one of those, it's not a mickey mouse degree like Gender Studies, Humanities, Media, etc, which are pretty much worthless.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:30 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Nantha wrote:

In the same way that no jobs will ask for an English or History degree, but they are still good academic subjects. A degree is worth having if it's a decent degree in academic subject, and philosophy is one of those, it's not a mickey mouse degree like Gender Studies, Humanities, Media, etc, which are pretty much worthless.

I agree, but we're talking about Masters degrees here. Who asks for them outside academia?
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Jim wrote:I agree, but we're talking about Masters degrees here. Who asks for them outside academia?

Americans. For some reason, American companies seem to value them. But it's pretty much proven that they're a waste of time and money (much like a PhD). An MBA is the exception that proves the rule.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:41 pm

I remember the days when some people just constantly went from course to course for years. I'm sure some bloke that used to drink regularly in the pub that I go to has about twelve post graduate qualifications yet hasn't had a proper job in his life. He was getting on for fifty about five years ago when I last spoke to him. Maybe the end of grants/funding and tuition fees has stopped him from doing it.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp