What's upset you?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: What's upset you?

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:06 am

Tet wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:People of colour is the term generally used these days.

It's all utter bollocks. Apparently "coloured people" is deemed offensive, but "people of colour" isn't. If you're going to be that petty about the language, then it's almost worth going out of my way to use the term you find offensive. I have no time for that sort of nonsense.


The words may be similar but the connotations are very different. "Coloured" was the term used during Apartheid and segregation to describe non-white people hence why it causes offense. It's really not that much effort to use a slightly different phrase to not be an arse.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:20 pm
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby kanet666 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Not really "upset" by this, but certainly shocked. Got home from work to find out that my dad moved out today, mum's in bits for obvious reasons, and whilst I understand these things happen, from my point of view this has completely blindsided me, considering I've never seen them so much as argue in 22 years.

I came home for a stressless few weeks before exams and work hits hard, and this really hasn't helped. I just don't know how to react.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

User avatar
thehairyone
Denim Demon
Posts: 5423
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: The badger sett
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby thehairyone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:59 pm

kanet666 wrote:Not really "upset" by this, but certainly shocked. Got home from work to find out that my dad moved out today, mum's in bits for obvious reasons, and whilst I understand these things happen, from my point of view this has completely blindsided me, considering I've never seen them so much as argue in 22 years.

I came home for a stressless few weeks before exams and work hits hard, and this really hasn't helped. I just don't know how to react.


Ahh, shit. This is very similar to what happened at me three years ago. I'm about on FB or the like if you want a chat. I hate to say it but you're in for a very tough time. My sympathies to both you and your mum.
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:20 pm
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby kanet666 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:13 pm

thehairyone wrote:
kanet666 wrote:Not really "upset" by this, but certainly shocked. Got home from work to find out that my dad moved out today, mum's in bits for obvious reasons, and whilst I understand these things happen, from my point of view this has completely blindsided me, considering I've never seen them so much as argue in 22 years.

I came home for a stressless few weeks before exams and work hits hard, and this really hasn't helped. I just don't know how to react.


Ahh, shit. This is very similar to what happened at me three years ago. I'm about on FB or the like if you want a chat. I hate to say it but you're in for a very tough time. My sympathies to both you and your mum.


Thanks for that last night. Dad's moving back in to the sofa tomorrow after talking with mum earlier. From the snippets of info I've heard it seems it is my dad who's just done this out of the blue. Hopefully it sorts itself out one way or another.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

User avatar
NeglectedField
Denim Demon
Posts: 7999
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Bristol (non-native)

Re: What's upset you?

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Great aunt's had either an aneurysm or has a brain tumour. Hate to be selfish by lamenting how it always has to happen around Xmas. Kind of a tradition in this family but there you go.

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Tet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:53 am

keera_envenomed wrote:The words may be similar but the connotations are very different. "Coloured" was the term used during Apartheid and segregation to describe non-white people hence why it causes offense. It's really not that much effort to use a slightly different phrase to not be an arse.

Actually, yes it is. Using the phrase "coloured people" doesn't make me an arse.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Urmston - Manchester

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 am

Tet wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:The words may be similar but the connotations are very different. "Coloured" was the term used during Apartheid and segregation to describe non-white people hence why it causes offense. It's really not that much effort to use a slightly different phrase to not be an arse.

Actually, yes it is. Using the phrase "coloured people" doesn't make me an arse.


Sorry to jump in on this 'tricky' topic, but growing up in the 70's and 80's in Manchester the, (now), black lads were offended by being referred to as black and preferred the term coloured. 'My blaizer's black, not me' they used to say.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Jobdone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 am

I just wish we'd make up our mind on it. I was told not to use coloured growing up, we had a whole little presentation in school about what terms weren't correct.
Image

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: What's upset you?

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:26 am

If you are confused or unsure, ask a non-white person! While they personally may not find certain terms offensive, they are likely to know what the general consensus is on certain words or phrases.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:13 pm
Location: South-East London

Re: What's upset you?

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:05 pm

Having grown up in London i can confirm that as long the term p*ki and n*gger aren't used, non-whites do not give much of a fuck. Only ever seems to be white people who kick up a fuss over what terminology is deemed offensive.

Coloured is a very general term that my parents and relatives used/use in scotland. Not necessarily offensive, it's just a very vague term as it basically refers to all 7 billion people on the planet.

For me it has always been really simple:

Africans/Carribeans (Jamaica etc.) - Black
Indian/Bengalis/Pakistanis - Asian
Chinese/Japanese/Korean - Oriental
White British/Americans/Europeans - Overlords.
Image

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Tet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Having grown up in London i can confirm that as long the term p*ki and n*gger aren't used, non-whites do not give much of a fuck.

And even then, it's not absolute. I've heard "paki" and "nigger" being used by those people to describe themselves.

florencethemachine wrote:Chinese/Japanese/Korean - Oriental

As if to illustrate my point perfectly, the term "oriental" is deemed offensive to many orientals in America, whereas over here it's used by that demographic to refer to themselves. There is no way to know which group will get offended by which terms, and it's futile to try. Anyone that chooses to be offended by certain terms when no offence was intended by the person using those terms has zero sympathy from me and I certainly won't change my language to try and pander to them.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
Nantha
Denim Demon
Posts: 9269
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:59 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Nantha » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:51 pm

that bit in Love Actually :cry:
all the actual feels

User avatar
Metalchemyst
Denim Demon
Posts: 5000
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Grtr Manchester

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Metalchemyst » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:44 am

Jobdone wrote:I just wish we'd make up our mind on it. I was told not to use coloured growing up, we had a whole little presentation in school about what terms weren't correct.
This confirms my suspicions about what goes on in schools these days.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Jobdone » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:48 am

Metalchemyst wrote:
Jobdone wrote:I just wish we'd make up our mind on it. I was told not to use coloured growing up, we had a whole little presentation in school about what terms weren't correct.
This confirms my suspicions about what goes on in schools these days.


its pc gone mad innit
Image

User avatar
thehairyone
Denim Demon
Posts: 5423
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: The badger sett
Contact:

Re: What's upset you?

Postby thehairyone » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Slightly relevant conversation from this morning.

Other Rich: I'm going to do some packing while you do that cleaning.
Me: Packy Packy!
*pause*
Me: ...shit.
Image

Image
Image