The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Ghost » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 pm

cthulhu wrote:
Ghost wrote: I can't see a team competing with the big money clubs anymore. Alex ferguson did it somehow but those days are over.

I'm not very good at picking up on these things on a forum but was this bit meant to be sarcastic or not?

Yes yes they are a big money club but I meant they used to try to develop young talent as well. Rather than just buying a load of expensive overseas players to win the league. They used to at least have some homegrown players in their starting eleven.
I see the bad moon arising.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 pm

They've got Tom Cleverly. Oh wait.......
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 pm

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:16 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Image

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Man City get away with making a mockery of FFP. Again. Bastards. A level playing field would really help here. But it seems we're not going to get one.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:30 pm

FFP has two issues for me. Firstly whilst I understand the whole "working within your means" stuff as it makes perfect sense, but it does mean that the clubs who make all the money now are only going to get richer whilst everyone else falls by the wayside. Secondly, the only body so far willing to actually act on these rules so far seems to be the Football League (see QPR). Any big team can flaunt them anyway they can in the PL/Champion's League without worry because the powers that be are too chicken to hit them with fines and punsihments in case they break away and form their own superleague.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

The funniest thing I've seen is United didn't want Danny Welbeck and neither did Arsenal. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:24 am

kanet666 wrote:FFP has two issues for me. Firstly whilst I understand the whole "working within your means" stuff as it makes perfect sense, but it does mean that the clubs who make all the money now are only going to get richer whilst everyone else falls by the wayside. Secondly, the only body so far willing to actually act on these rules so far seems to be the Football League (see QPR). Any big team can flaunt them anyway they can in the PL/Champion's League without worry because the powers that be are too chicken to hit them with fines and punsihments in case they break away and form their own superleague.

Blackburn Rovers. :P

Worst of the fucking lot for buying things....

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Bollocks. We had to go and throw it away in the dying minutes. Sunderland were nowhere, but they fluked a lucky equaliser :-(
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
kanet666 wrote:FFP has two issues for me. Firstly whilst I understand the whole "working within your means" stuff as it makes perfect sense, but it does mean that the clubs who make all the money now are only going to get richer whilst everyone else falls by the wayside. Secondly, the only body so far willing to actually act on these rules so far seems to be the Football League (see QPR). Any big team can flaunt them anyway they can in the PL/Champion's League without worry because the powers that be are too chicken to hit them with fines and punsihments in case they break away and form their own superleague.

I'm not sure quite how, we spent less than the other teams at the top in the time we won the league. It took money to get from the bottom of division 2 to the top of the PL for sure, but beyond the two strikers most of the players who played that season weren't that expensive, and we sold them for a lot more than we paid.

Liverpool on the other hand have spent hundreds of millions over the past 25 years to win fuck all in terms of league standings.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:05 pm

This. It's not Man City, it's all of the big teams. It will maintain a status quo where City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea will always be the top 4 in the future. Maybe Arsenal can shove in there as well. Let us not forget that United are the big spenders this summer.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 am

kanet666 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:

I'm not sure quite how, we spent less than the other teams at the top in the time we won the league. It took money to get from the bottom of division 2 to the top of the PL for sure, but beyond the two strikers most of the players who played that season weren't that expensive, and we sold them for a lot more than we paid.

Liverpool on the other hand have spent hundreds of millions over the past 25 years to win fuck all in terms of league standings.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man United may have spent money over the years, but it's all money earned by the clubs, not money given to them by a multimillionaire (or even billionaire) sugardaddy. They were getting crowds of about 9000 until Walker started spending money, whereas those other clubs were getting crowds of about 50000. It was only when Walkers money dried up that they started selling players and then got relegated. After buying virtually any player that moved for a vastly inflated price.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:10 am

Tet wrote:Bollocks. We had to go and throw it away in the dying minutes. Sunderland were nowhere, but they fluked a lucky equaliser :-(

Pretty much.

Though some of it's gotta lay on us for not having that cutting edge. We got in and around the box a bunch, but didn't test the keeper as much as we should've.

Also you could tell Adebayor was fucking exhausted for the ACON games in the week.

Also that ref can fuck right off with some of his decisions.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 am

How come Man United have such an easy start to the season? All the other big teams seem to be playing each other a few weeks in, except for them. Is it to try and help them gel into a team and not spiral further?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:57 am

Seems like. Although they can't even beat the "lesser" teams. :lol:

They do get Everton, Chelsea, City and Arsenal in October and November though. And also have a pretty tough run in at the end of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tea ... d/fixtures