The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:22 am

Hopefully it's Newcastle that go down, a team that hasn't been entertaining for large parts of the season and I think the talking points of their season is mostly off-field not on-field antics. Plus can you imagine Carver and Ashley if they manage to keep them up? They'll become more insufferable than they currently are.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon May 18, 2015 11:26 am

Hull are going down. Remember a few seasons ago when Blackpool needed a win at United on the last day to stay up and got trounced? It'll be like that. Sadly.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine Hull managing to get a win outta that.

Hopefully Ashley'll sack Carver though. Doubt it though, seems the perfect puppet for him.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Weekly reminder that Qatar still has the world cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32775563

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon May 18, 2015 2:01 pm

houston4044 wrote:Hopefully it's Newcastle that go down, a team that hasn't been entertaining for large parts of the season and I think the talking points of their season is mostly off-field not on-field antics. Plus can you imagine Carver and Ashley if they manage to keep them up? They'll become more insufferable than they currently are.

If they "manage to keep them up" its because everyone around them sucks too, they shouldn't be anywhere near this position. They are probably just lucky Hull are playing United - although it might not be a foregone conclusion, United aren't the best team, and in my opinion are in the Champion's League next year by pure luck (their own, and the fact that noone below them seems to be able to string a run together).
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 18, 2015 2:52 pm

It all depends on whether the United players are already "on the beach". They will be missing their outstanding player in De Gea. Also the fact that Bruce is an old boy..... I think they've got a slim chance.

I reckon that all the "bigger" teams have been poor this year though. Chelsea was the best of a bad bunch and Arsenal and City have had poor spells. The others have all struggled.

A very poor season IMO. The relegation battle was more interesting than the title fight.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm

It's been a weird season results wise.

I'm not sure if the bottom teams are getting better, or the top teams are just getting worse.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon May 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Jobdone wrote:I'm not sure if the bottom teams are getting better, or the top teams are just getting worse.

Neither :P The only figures that really matter in the Premier League are how many points do you need to beat to avoid being relegated and how many points do you need for 4th place and Champions League football. Since the start of the 20-team era, those numbers have been reasonably consistent. You could perhaps claim that the top teams have been getting better over the past few years:

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 18, 2015 8:06 pm

What a wonderful game.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:20 pm

I think the only teams that have really shone this season are Southampton, Swansea and Chelsea (I suppose). The season seemed like it would be a cracker at the start but it's been pretty poor on the whole, save the odd cracking moments like Leicester beating Utd. I think the performances in Europe shows just how bad this season as a whole has been, Chelsea are the best of a bad bunch and everyone else seems to be sparking but not igniting.

I think there is a slim chance Hull could pull it off against Utd, when Hull have pulled themselves together they have been good and Utd haven't exactly been spectacular, I would like for Hull to win just to put Van Gaal in his place.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32787125 sounds like a team of Joey Bartons :lol:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue May 19, 2015 2:22 am

houston4044 wrote:I think the only teams that have really shone this season are Southampton, Swansea and Chelsea (I suppose). The season seemed like it would be a cracker at the start but it's been pretty poor on the whole, save the odd cracking moments like Leicester beating Utd. I think the performances in Europe shows just how bad this season as a whole has been, Chelsea are the best of a bad bunch and everyone else seems to be sparking but not igniting.

Chelsea have, from the start been far and away the best team, in recent weeks (and even months) they seem to be coasting, knowing they have no challenge, but I think if they really needed to they could turn on the style. Other than that though...City looked bored to be there, United have lucked their way through, Liverpool have had no goals, Spurs are inconsistent....probably the best challengers would have been Arsenal, but they didn't get going early, and along with Spurs and Liverpool in recent seasons seem to have the mentality that they aren't really good enough to be winning the league, and self-sabotage at the last moment. I can't see much changing there.

It's been a DECENT season, even if it has fizzled out. Yeah, the relagation race is more interesting than the top, but that seems the way lately. I'd love to see something different next year, but honestly I just think United will spend big this summer and go on to take it pretty easily.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 am

I find it hard as a Spurs supporter to praise Chelski :P

City= Seem to be imploding and have something going on behind the scenes, seems the lack of success is leading to everyone blaming everyone else.

Arsenal= The usual, have a very good period of form but then lose all momentum.

Utd= How they've done so well surprises me, very very patchy and haven't looked dominant or confident on the pitch. I don't see how Van Gaal has turned them around, they seem to be putting in similar performances as last season but have somehow come out with more points.

Spurs= Leaky defense and lack of attacking players has really damaged us, often just nabbing a game even if we were dominant.

Liverpool= Haven't clicked for large portions of the season, they have some potential on the pitch but they never manage to utilize it.

Aside from the odd game this season has never really had that enthralling draw that most seasons have had, rather than "the top 4 is so open right now" it's been "Chelsea have walked this, lol at City". It should be a good transfer window (what with City and Utd) and next season has big potential; but after the recent few seasons 2014/15 is a dip in form for sure.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 am

Chelsea's bus driver has been their best player all season.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue May 19, 2015 11:39 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Chelsea's bus driver has been their best player all season.

Yeah, but we still have the second highest goal tally :)

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Chelsea's bus driver has been their best player all season.

Yeah, but we still have the second highest goal tally :)

It's interesting that you've conceded as many as Southampton down in 6th though. If they had even 1 top notch striker this season (e.g. an upcoming youngster like Kane was this season), it's hard to argue against them having put in a real challenge for at least Champions League, and possibly even the title.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1