The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Jobdone » Fri May 22, 2015 7:31 am

Figo made a statement basically saying "No surprised, but FIFA are shifty cunts, so I can't be fucked"

https://www.facebook.com/luisfigooffici ... 8365606327

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am

It's not like Figo would've been able to do anything about the corruption, anyway.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:48 pm

So it's between Blatter and Prince Ali who himself doesn't seem like the most level person himself? Great, some real differences between the candidates...

Shame though, I thought Figo had some good ideas. His idea of a manifesto and a televised debate was great I thought, apart from corruption and sticking with poorly thought out WC allocations does anybody know what Blatter stands for?

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun May 24, 2015 11:44 pm

Watching MoTD. This Stoke/Pool game is like watching a game of FIFA or something.

Good for us though. 5th place, a cup final, and 2 huge derby wins. A lot of improvements to be made still, but I'll take that for a first season under a new manager.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 am

New manager please.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 25, 2015 9:53 am

Careful what you wish for. The last time we asked for a new manager we got Roy Hodgson. Knowing our luck we'll end up with Allardyce. :ugh:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 25, 2015 11:58 am

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Jobdone wrote:Watching MoTD. This Stoke/Pool game is like watching a game of FIFA or something.

Good for us though. 5th place, a cup final, and 2 huge derby wins. A lot of improvements to be made still, but I'll take that for a first season under a new manager.

Agreed, although during the season I didn't think we were doing great, when I look at it like that we've done pretty well. I think the main thing Pochettino needs to do next season is develop a squad that is a more consistent threat rather than a team that nabs/grinds out a result more often than not. New defense (except Vertonghen and Yedlin) and a strike partner for Kane are needed.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 25, 2015 3:48 pm

houston4044 wrote:New defense (except Yedlin)

wat

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Jobdone wrote:
houston4044 wrote:New defense (except Yedlin)

wat

My bad, forgot about Walker and Davies (and Vertonghen who I already mentioned) :lol:
The problem we have is that we have a decent starting line up in terms of defense ( except Rose :rolleyes: ) but our substitutes are either weak (Chirchies, Fazio) or youngsters who I think need a season or two on loan (Dier, Yedlin though we could use him already) before we can properly rely on them.

^ I think that's why we come unstuck, once a first team defender gets injured we don't have someone who can step in and strengthen the squad.

Sell Chirchies and Fazio or loan Dier and Yedlin out for a season and bring in two short term loans that could make the step up to first team regularly if needed.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Rose has been amazing this season. There's been a slip up or two, but compared to the rest of the defense he's been beastly.

And I haven't seen anything from Yedlin. He had a decent game against hazard in the world cup and people suddenly think he's the second coming. been thoroughly meh for USA since then, and the fact he's got no usage since then by Poch suggests he's a bit shite.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Jobdone wrote:Rose has been amazing this season. There's been a slip up or two, but compared to the rest of the defense he's been beastly.

And I haven't seen anything from Yedlin. He had a decent game against hazard in the world cup and people suddenly think he's the second coming. been thoroughly meh for USA since then, and the fact he's got no usage since then by Poch suggests he's a bit shite.

Rose has had a few great games but I'm still not convinced that he isn't just going to slide back to the player he used to be.

Yedlin was great in the MLS (alright easier league I know) but he can also be used well as a midfielder which gives Poch more options, plus like I said although I think he could make the step up, if not, loan him out.

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 am

Jay Harris has left to join Tranmere. "Gutted" doesn't quite cover the way this makes me feel :(
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Ancelloti, Klopp, Alladyce, Mclaren, Clough and Redfern all gone within a week; I can see Pelligrini, Rodgers and Carver following them soon. Bad time to be a manager eh?

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed May 27, 2015 9:40 am