The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Aerosol_Kid wrote:Maybe you'll have better luck in that prestigious European competition the Europa League, you may even have to get to the pub early for that one :lol:

I'm going to laugh long and hard if City find themselves playing Europa League football next season. It'd be a fantastic way to welcome Pep to Manchester...
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:31 pm

I'll bet anything there's a get-out clause for Pep if City fail to reach the CL.

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Tet wrote:
Aerosol_Kid wrote:Maybe you'll have better luck in that prestigious European competition the Europa League, you may even have to get to the pub early for that one :lol:

I'm going to laugh long and hard if City find themselves playing Europa League football next season. It'd be a fantastic way to welcome Pep to Manchester...

We've been there before so I'm not going to worry much, too long in the tooth for all that ;)
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 pm

There's a lot of worrying talk atm that the "bigger" clubs are trying to monopolise their places in the Champion's League. That and all the talk of removing promotion/relegation is very worrying. Either of these will ruin football imo.

In other news, I'm hoping we can keep our recent form going and take at least a point from Burnley tomorrow, Paul Lambert's philosophy is starting to take hold and whilst we're too far off the pace this season, there's enough there to suggest that with a bit of backing in the summer we can at least challenge for the play-offs next season.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:34 am

Aerosol_Kid wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If you look at the statistics that matter then City wouldn't have even scored if it wasn't for our dodgy keeper letting in a howler. :lol:

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean :?

Gandalf the Red wrote:Hopefully it'll be the only trophy they'll win anyway. One so important that I couldn't be arsed walking a few hundred yards to a pub that was showing it.

Maybe you'll have better luck in that prestigious European competition the Europa League, you may even have to get to the pub early for that one :lol:

Maybe actually winning a proper European trophy before commenting would be a good idea. :yes:

Oh! You won the Cup Winners Cup. Even Everton won one of those. ;)
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:38 am

Aerosol_Kid wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If you look at the statistics that matter then City wouldn't have even scored if it wasn't for our dodgy keeper letting in a howler. :lol:

Didn't watch the match then? The goalie let the ball fall below his body. If that's not dodgy then I don't know what is.

Article here.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... al-one-cup
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:00 am

kanet666 wrote:There's a lot of worrying talk atm that the "bigger" clubs are trying to monopolise their places in the Champion's League. That and all the talk of removing promotion/relegation is very worrying. Either of these will ruin football imo.

In other news, I'm hoping we can keep our recent form going and take at least a point from Burnley tomorrow, Paul Lambert's philosophy is starting to take hold and whilst we're too far off the pace this season, there's enough there to suggest that with a bit of backing in the summer we can at least challenge for the play-offs next season.

I hope not. I really do hope that they get rid of the play off system eventually. It's not fair. After a long season the team that finishes in a position is there on merit. Finishing third and then losing out to a team that finished well below you is wrong.

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Aerosol_Kid wrote:

Didn't watch the match then? The goalie let the ball fall below his body. If that's not dodgy then I don't know what is.

I should hope I did as I was there.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Aerosol_Kid wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Aerosol_Kid wrote:

I should hope I did as I was there.

What? Being in a stadium means you understand goalkeeping better? As someone who's willingly played as keeper growing up, that's definitely a cock up to let the ball in that way. Yes I haven't played professionally, but my claim is still far more credible than "I was in the stadium," especially as on screen you get a bunch of replays of all the angles :lol:

Edit: re-read it and understood what you meant now, but you didn't really address the point at all...
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Referee's in the Championship can do one. I can't believe we lost that game. Yet another game decided by a bottler who's afraid to go against the home team. Two blatant pens denied whilst theirs given, multiple fouls given against our players for being fouled themselves and Joey Barton given the freedom to get anyone he asks to be booked. Their penalty was admittedly also stonewall but at least give the decisions equally.

Completely dominated again, lost again. How that team is top of the league I'll never know, they're awful.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:37 am

A win at Selhurst?
With 10 men and a last second penalty which resulted in a seething Pardew?

Nice.
8)

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:01 am

I'm looking forward to Pardews new breakdown. The anger in his post game was palpable.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:30 am

Four home wins on the trot, Birmingham were better in the second half but probably should have been down to ten men and the damage was already done.

Really proud of the squad and Paul Lambert. We've been playing midweek and weekend for over a month and we're still performing at a class above what we have in years. That and the football is getting much better.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Now watch the price of food, drink etc skyrocket at matches