The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Mo Salah, PFA Players Player of the Year.
Lovely.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 pm

To have challenged so successfully having spend so little money, I think Spurs have to be considered a success, especially in an era when City and Chelsea take turns buying trophies. Having said that, you feel like their chance slipped away when they lost it to Leicester, and winning the FA Cup would at least have meant a trophy. When it comes down to it the fact they haven't even won that, coupled with the potential of losing their best players this summer, means Champion's League football might not be enough.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 am

What do you mean "challenged so successfully?" Their challenge for the title was unsuccessful. That's the whole point of this discussion :lol:
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:What do you mean "challenged so successfully?" Their challenge for the title was unsuccessful. That's the whole point of this discussion :lol:

Oops I should really check what I'm typing. I meant consistently. They came very close through two consecutive seasons, making it last right until the last few weeks. They've dropped off a bit this year, and you can't help feel their time is passing. They need to get Champion's League football to have any hope of keeping their team together.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Rome wasn't built in a day.

It also wasn't won with Caesar telling his armies "this isn't a must-win battle."
Upcoming Gigs

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 pm

But it was totally demolished in a few minutes. :D
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm

In the last ten minutes it seemed a lot like Liverpool were channeling the spirit of Gerrard.

"This must not fucking slip now!"

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Yawn.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Silverware is the only reasonable measure of success in football. Without it a club are perennial failures

I couldn't disagree more strongly. Top 4 is so much more important than the FA Cup now, it's not even something that should be up for consideration. Of course I'd have liked to get to the final and win it. But I'll take the Wenger trophy every year in a heartbeat.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 pm

I hate the fact that some football fans consider finishing 4th in the league to be better than winning the FA Cup. Sure it'll make your club more money but as a fan, what will you remember in years to come? What will be written in the history books?

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Tet wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Silverware is the only reasonable measure of success in football. Without it a club are perennial failures

I couldn't disagree more strongly. Top 4 is so much more important than the FA Cup now, it's not even something that should be up for consideration. Of course I'd have liked to get to the final and win it. But I'll take the Wenger trophy every year in a heartbeat.

How do you feel about Pocchetino basically throwing the semi-final then by playing Vorm over Lloris and telling the team not to bother going for the win? If that was United's manager I'd be calling for his head. There's absolutely no excuse for it. Aim for the top 4 if that's your main goal, by all means. But if you're in a cup semi-final you try and win the bloody thing.

Until Spurs get that winning attitude there is no such thing as The Top 6 frankly. The other 5 clubs are all serial winners, Spurs do not belong in that conversation yet til they bring home something tangible.
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Soze wrote:I hate the fact that some football fans consider finishing 4th in the league to be better than winning the FA Cup. Sure it'll make your club more money but as a fan, what will you remember in years to come? What will be written in the history books?

"Sit down my grandson. Let me tell you about the season we put the pressure on Chelsea!"
Upcoming Gigs

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 am

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:For me, top prizes for Spurs would be
1. Champions League
2. Premiership
3. Europa
4. 4th or above in Prem
------- Anything below would be an unsuccessful season
5. Europa qualifying spots
6. FA Cup
7. League cup

Surely winning either domestic cup competition is better than getting a UEFA Cup qualifying spot in the league? It's the same outcome but with a damn trophy!

My mistake, I got confused, it's the runners up from the cups who no longer automatically qualify to Europa not the winners :lol: Yeah, swap it around.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
Tet wrote:

How do you feel about Pocchetino basically throwing the semi-final then by playing Vorm over Lloris and telling the team not to bother going for the win? If that was United's manager I'd be calling for his head. There's absolutely no excuse for it. Aim for the top 4 if that's your main goal, by all means. But if you're in a cup semi-final you try and win the bloody thing.

Until Spurs get that winning attitude there is no such thing as The Top 6 frankly. The other 5 clubs are all serial winners, Spurs do not belong in that conversation yet til they bring home something tangible.

I always took Poch's statements of not going for the win as a way of easing pressure on the team to be honest.

As for Vorm, why not play him? He's the cup goalie and has done alright so why not stick with him? Alright it's 2nd choice keeper vs Man U but I can't knock him for sticking with him, it's not like Vorm is a terrible keeper.

Think this pretty much boils down to perspective really, for a Spurs fan, although we have yet to win anything yet, we've come along in leaps and bounds in recent years and have reason to be happy compared to where we were a few years ago. For a Utd/chelsea/city fan who is used to buying trophies then it will pale in comparison because you've become accustomed to it. To be in the mix at this stage while we're on the up is good at this stage, hopefully we can carry on and get better.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue May 01, 2018 7:43 pm

"Easing pressure on the team"

The manager's job is to put pressure on the players to succeed. If this was indeed the case then it's just more pathetic carry on to go along with Spurs participation medal attitude.

Vorm is good, Lloris is world class. Simple as that.
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 pm

And United buying trophies? Not a chance.

Early 90's, beat Barcelona for the Cup Winners Cup with a team of aging ex-academy talents and players bought from the liked of Oldham and Norwich. Dominated the league and cup for the rest of the decade thanks to one of the best youth teams of all time and a few smart purchases; Cantona was out favour with Leeds when we paid £1.5m for him and most people thought even that was a risky purchase, and we got Schmeichel before he was considered the best in the world for half a mil. We did break the British transfer record for Andy Cole but he was just part of the revolving lineup at the front along with relative bargains Yorke, Sherringham and Solskjaer that won us the treble in 1998-99. We also broke the world record for a defender twice but in both cases they were only half of an incredible partnership. For most of the noughties the team was focused around that famous youth team as well and even when we did spend big (Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy) we were buying players young and developing them into world class stars, not buying ready made guaranteed trophy-winners.
Upcoming Gigs