The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Like I said, reckless.
Stupid and mistimed (Carra's lost at least a yard in the last couple of seasons) but ultimately just a shit tackle with nasty consequences.
Why do you think so many Arsenal players get broken legs, knackered ankles and the like? Tackles from slow defenders on speedy players occasionally result in things like this.

cheesemason
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cheesemason » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Why isnt anyone talking about Rafael's tackle? Every bit as bad, it was only cos Lucas managed to hurdle it that he didnt end up with as bad an injury

And Nani could have been sent off for man handling the ref. You lay a finger on the ref and its a red card

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Like I said, reckless.
Stupid and mistimed (Carra's lost at least a yard in the last couple of seasons) but ultimately just a shit tackle with nasty consequences.
Why do you think so many Arsenal players get broken legs, knackered ankles and the like? Tackles from slow defenders on speedy players occasionally result in things like this.

Sorry I don't accept that. Its a team sport and every player, manager and Ref has a duty of care towards all the players to ensure those kind of tackles are eradicated completely from the game. The fact that some of these tackles might be mistimed rather than malicious is another argument but the fact is Carragher is a pro and theres no excuse for a tackle made that high ever! Eveyone who plays the game knows the FA and FIFA have outlawed these type of tackles.

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 pm

cheesemason wrote:Why isnt anyone talking about Rafael's tackle? Every bit as bad, it was only cos Lucas managed to hurdle it that he didnt end up with as bad an injury

And Nani could have been sent off for man handling the ref. You lay a finger on the ref and its a red card

I can't help the fact that nobody else has taken it up till now but I am happy to say I think DaSilva should have walked too but this is where Dowd failed He bottled the Carragher offence and probably felt he couldn't risk red carding DaSilva for a challenge that whilst it was potentially even more dangerous didn't actually result in any injury. He should have been red carded no argument! You could also say Dowd left himself open to Nani's outrage as his failure to send Carragher off clearly showed a lack of regard for the seriousness of the tackle and in effect gave Liverpool an unfair advantage over United You are right though Dowd could ahve red carded Nani too

markguy764
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby markguy764 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Well united were awful and Liverpool were pretty good thus ending in a comfortable win for liverpool. Yes Carragher's tackle was shit and sldve earned him a red card, Nani had me in hysterics as always. Rafael wouldnt have made that tackle if carra had been sent off and rodrigues hadnt studded him in the thigh. But none of this really matters cos it was a deserved win for liverpool and united were a fucking shambles.

Also its a contact sport so yes bad tackles are gonna happen stop fucking whinging or you'll turn into a french pansy arsehole/Arsenal player or fan like Wilshere is becoming.

However what a bloody great game between wolves and tottenham
Links to my Brighton based events company. Any bands wanting a gig in Brighton feel free to contact us.
http://jackhammermusic.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.myspace.com/jackhammerpromotions
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=356209302783

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

bisto wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Like I said, reckless.

Sorry I don't accept that. Its a team sport and every player, manager and Ref has a duty of care towards all the players to ensure those kind of tackles are eradicated completely from the game. The fact that some of these tackles might be mistimed rather than malicious is another argument but the fact is Carragher is a pro and theres no excuse for a tackle made that high ever! Eveyone who plays the game knows the FA and FIFA have outlawed these type of tackles.

There are tackles like this in every game, each with a different level of intent or ineptitude. Some harmless ones result in bookings and some are premeditated yet go unpunished.
Take for example Titus Bramble at the weekend. He clearly pushed Arshavin over in the box but didn't even concede a penalty. Irrespective of whether it was a correct decision or not (it wasn't), what if, after the push, Arshavin's legs had become entangled with each other and one had been broken? Would that have autmatically changed a non-decision into a penalty and a red card?
It's lovely to think of a world where football can be played without damage to any other players but while tackling of any form exists I'm afraid that simply won't happen.
Players know the risk to themselves, that's partly a reason their wages are so high.

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Darkweasel wrote:What?
Reckless, one legged challenge with studs down.
Supports what I say rather clearly if you ask me.

The studs up/studs down debate can only really be had when the tackle is made on the floor, not when it's made at knee height.

markguy764 wrote:Also its a contact sport so yes bad tackles are gonna happen stop fucking whinging or you'll turn into a french pansy arsehole/Arsenal player or fan like Wilshere is becoming.

It's a contact sport yes, that doesn't mean its acceptable to go through the player recklessly to get the ball however.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Darkweasel wrote:There are tackles like this in every game, each with a different level of intent or ineptitude. Some harmless ones result in bookings and some are premeditated yet go unpunished.
Take for example Titus Bramble at the weekend. He clearly pushed Arshavin over in the box but didn't even concede a penalty. Irrespective of whether it was a correct decision or not (it wasn't), what if, after the push, Arshavin's legs had become entangled with each other and one had been broken? Would that have autmatically changed a non-decision into a penalty and a red card?
It's lovely to think of a world where football can be played without damage to any other players but while tackling of any form exists I'm afraid that simply won't happen.
Players know the risk to themselves, that's partly a reason their wages are so high.

So its ok presumably because its just part of the game, "a mans game" no doubt. I suppose it depends on your definition of a man, they are supposed to be sports men and, yes they are very highly paid professional sportsmen but not historically so, its only in recent years that footballers wages have reached such astronomical sums but its nothing to do with compensating for the inherent risk involved its about market value, prize money, performance related bonuses, sponsorship, endorsements, image and tv rights. Theres a whole topic of its own that i dare say has been had more than once in this section.

I hope for the games' sake you're wrong and if you take a long view of football and high profile sports in general theres pretty clear evidence that the governing and regulatory bodies demand more and more from Officials and players year on year. As a result standards improve and mistakes, foul play and career ending injuries are less likely to occur as the rules get tighter and penalties bite.

Blatter's argument against the introduction of technology into the game is regressive and spurious imho. It will come and it will inevitably drive standards higher and force Refs to officiate to the rule rather than compromise or bottle it like Dowd did. The Bramble incident is just one more argument for the introduction of more technology and more officials.

American football games are officiated by a referee, umpire, head linesman, line judge, side judge, field judge and a back judge with a video replay assistant between them its rare that major decisions are missed or called wrongly and the limited right of appeal to review an incident on VT available to each opposing Coach ensures a degree of pro-active involvement and encourages an atmosphere of trust, respect and transparency. Referees in Rugby and NFL are also miked up and explain their penalty calls for all to hear and players are numbered rather than named, definitely something I'd like to see adopted in football!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:48 pm

bisto wrote:Referees in Rugby and NFL are also miked up and explain their penalty calls for all to hear and players are numbered rather than named, definitely something I'd like to see adopted in football!

Already been tried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnQ16KFDoA4

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 pm

bisto wrote:American football games are officiated by a referee, umpire, head linesman, line judge, side judge, field judge and a back judge with a video replay assistant

And this is a large part of the reason a 60 minute game can often take over 3 hours to play...

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Beardy wrote:
bisto wrote:American football games are officiated by a referee, umpire, head linesman, line judge, side judge, field judge and a back judge with a video replay assistant

And this is a large part of the reason a 60 minute game can often take over 3 hours to play...

You can actually speed up football with more officials as there could always be an official keeping up with play to award quick free kicks, corners etc. and ensure walls were 10 yards back while another patrols the penalty box. NFL is a vastly more technical game with more laws and rules to officiate, football doesn't have time outs or Downs. It would also cut down on off the ball incidents, shirt pulling and diving but most of all it should help ensure that more offside decisions are called correctly.

Also having a VT review should give the officials more confidence in their decision making as a challenge would only ever be made in very tight calls when a replay would 99% of the time provide clear evidence one way or another. An honest mistake or a borderline wrong decision might be overturned by a VT replay but in time I believe it would make players, managers and fans more appreciative, respectful and accepting of the officials.

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
bisto wrote:Referees in Rugby and NFL are also miked up and explain their penalty calls for all to hear and players are numbered rather than named, definitely something I'd like to see adopted in football!

Already been tried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnQ16KFDoA4

A piecemeal and cosmetic experiment unfortunately. You can see though how players would think twice about abusing the ref if their every expletive was broadcast and they were fined accordingly. Brian Clough fined his players for talking back to the Ref let alone swearing at them.

markguy764
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby markguy764 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Whenever the bad tackles issue comes up im always left thinking about a genious run by George Best were about 5 or 6 players go in high and hard on the man he keeps going and scores.
Links to my Brighton based events company. Any bands wanting a gig in Brighton feel free to contact us.
http://jackhammermusic.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.myspace.com/jackhammerpromotions
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=356209302783

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Great fun tonight, never been an away fan before. I've never heard Chelsea fans sing that much at Stamford Bridge, mind.

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Moonburp wrote:Great fun tonight, never been an away fan before. I've never heard Chelsea fans sing that much at Stamford Bridge, mind.

I've heard 200 Wrexham fans make more noise than a Stamford Bridge home crowd to be fair xD
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin