The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:25 am

A successful tournament on the whole. I think the majority of this squad sticks around, plus a few of the injured players (Ox, for example) will return plus there's the next wave of youngsters to blood in too. Semis / Final / Winning Euro 2020 is not a ridiculous goal.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am

Just gonna leave this here:

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 am

So what happened to Harry Kane after the Colombia match? Was he even playing?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 am

Black Wizard wrote:So what happened to Harry Kane after the Colombia match? Was he even playing?

Yeah, that's erm, thats not working.

As ever, genuinely, best of luck for the euros. I am always happy for other home nations to qualify and do well; and, unless there playing England, they will always have my support. I have ancestors from evey nation, just like most British people, so it makes sense to me. The ABE thing comes of as deeply insecure and pointless - and all this from the nation with the strongest identity of us all.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 am

metaldinosaur wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:So what happened to Harry Kane after the Colombia match? Was he even playing?

I'm being serious - what happened to him? He was anonymous in the semi-final.

The ABE thing comes of as deeply insecure and pointless

It's how football works. Fulham fans don't support Chelsea and Bradford fans don't support Leeds. I doubt people in Belgrade will be cheering for Croatia today either.

How about this:

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:

I'm being serious - what happened to him? He was anonymous in the semi-final.

The ABE thing comes of as deeply insecure and pointless

It's how football works. Fulham fans don't support Chelsea and Bradford fans don't support Leeds. I doubt people in Belgrade will be cheering for Croatia today either.

How about this:

Speaking as an England fan, the whole "two world wars, one world cup" thing really is beyond tired now and just needs to get in the bin.

And to be fair to Black Wizard, he's right - I certainly wouldn't support Scotland in a football tournament and would probably find myself cheering on whoever was playing them so I get that it works both ways.

However, whilst Kane might have been somewhat ineffective in the semi-final, at least he was there, which is more than you'll be able to say for any Scotland players for a long, long time :wink:

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 pm

I wouldn't necessarily 'cheer on' Scotland, but I do prefer British teams to win - due to been British. I always keep an eye out for the others qualifying for major competitions.

Excessive partisan rhetoric is indeed part of the fun of football, and when England play other home nations I play that rivalry out and tease my mates from the other countries.

However, I feel no animosity whatsoever towards the other British sides, and a lot of other English people take the same position. Why would we feel any other way?

Tbh the ABE thing just looks like insecurity.

The Germany thing isn't really a thing anymore, but the war Second World War WAS a fair enough reason for a bit of sanitised and safe animosity. Is ABE due to you guys still being upset about Culloden perhaps?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 am

I personally vaguely want England to do well, but the reason most of my friends give for wanting them to lose is that they just don't bloody shut up when they do well. This world cup for example, has been non-stop coverage of how proud we all are of Southgate and his men. To the detriment of the football. Between, and even during every game it's just England England England and as a football fan, I kind of want England out of a tournament really quickly just so they can all just shut up and get on with watching the games.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm a weirdo - I'll happily support all home nations (plus Republic of Ireland!) against others.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:31 pm

The thing I don't understand was that he was playing in a much deeper role. He's one of the best poachers in the game, but he needs to be near the goal to do that. Most of the time, Sterling, Rashford and others were our furthest forward players. Whether that was a deliberate policy from Southgate or whether there were other reasons, I don't know.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I certainly wouldn't support Scotland in a football tournament and would probably find myself cheering on whoever was playing them

You won't be getting the chance to do that anytime soon though. :lol:

However, whilst Kane might have been somewhat ineffective in the semi-final, at least he was there, which is more than you'll be able to say for any Scotland players for a long, long time :wink:

If only we could make Kenny Dalgleish young again. :(

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I certainly wouldn't support Scotland in a football tournament and would probably find myself cheering on whoever was playing them

Really? That seems bizarre to me. In my case I'll obviously Scotland because my mum's Scottish, but I still support Wales and the two Irelands, even though I have no direct connection to them.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I often find myself cheering on other home nations, though that's often because they're the underdogs and I normally support them unless one of my teams are involved :lol: I would like to see more home nations in competitions myself.

Now that it's over, England/bias aside I would it was the best WC since 2002 easy, few teams played negatively and apart from 3 matches all of them were entertaining in their own ways. The shocks and dramas throughout were enthralling as well. Would go to say the right team won, they were slow to get off the mark but once into the knock out rounds France were the best team for me; especially against Argentina, best game I've seen in years!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 am

It was definitely the best World Cup final I've ever seen.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Best tournament in my lifetime from start to finish.

To the surprise of many I actually wouldn't have minded England winning this. What's good for the English league system will inevitably be good for both Irish national teams, but also because it would've pissed off all the right people.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire