The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Jobdone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Danroush wrote:I think I'll be focusing on the official one again, especially as this year I'm gonna have a £50 riding on beating my stepbrother, along with the usual bunch of mates all throwing a fiver in (Joe did you say you were up for joining us tihs year)?

I don't remember if I did, but yeah I'd be up for joining. This is gonna be my year I can feel it.

And by my year, I mean hopefully managing to finish higher than 10th in all my leagues.

Bearstock
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearstock » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:11 pm

Just set up my team for this season.

Ive gone a bit experimental with a couple of heavyweights thrown in.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm always a slow starter, hard to pick who you think will hit the ground running (even with the fixture list) I always end up picking up steam around November :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:44 pm

I've changed my entire line up approximately 5 times so far.

Fuck knows who'll be in my team come the wednesday night before bloodstock.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Jobdone wrote:I've changed my entire line up approximately 5 times so far.

Fuck knows who'll be in my team come the wednesday night before bloodstock.

Pick Sterling mate, I mean for £49mil he must be good; I mean who would pay that much for a player with a questionable attitude, questionable potential and a dodgy agent? It must be down to talent...

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:21 am

Danroush wrote:
Skippy wrote:Schweinstiger is stupidly cheap, an absolutely top class player. Schneiderlin (damn these stupid hard to spell Germanic names) I'm not so sure about. He was good at Southampton but I'm not sure anywhere else.

Exactly what I was thinking about Schweinsteiger. I mean yes he's not young anymore but he's a midfielder rather than striker anyway, surely he's worth at least 10mn?

Either the figure was reported wrong or they were calculating stuff differently, as I'm now seeing it reported at £14.4m for Schweinsteiger, which sounds a bit more right.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 am

We just sold Stambouli to PSG.

Either they're seeing something Poch isn't, or PSG just got mugged off.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am

Danroush wrote:
Danroush wrote:
Skippy wrote:Schweinstiger is stupidly cheap, an absolutely top class player. Schneiderlin (damn these stupid hard to spell Germanic names) I'm not so sure about. He was good at Southampton but I'm not sure anywhere else.

Exactly what I was thinking about Schweinsteiger. I mean yes he's not young anymore but he's a midfielder rather than striker anyway, surely he's worth at least 10mn?

Either the figure was reported wrong or they were calculating stuff differently, as I'm now seeing it reported at £14.4m for Schweinsteiger, which sounds a bit more right.

Most of the deals now have a shitload of clauses and payments to agents and former clubs that don't even get mentioned. Like QPR getting about £10 million in the Sterling deal.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Jobdone wrote:We just sold Stambouli to PSG.

Either they're seeing something Poch isn't, or PSG just got mugged off.

I liked Stambouli, I think he could of grown into a decent back up player but if Poch is cleaning house with all but the essentials left then I guess he had to go. I'm just hoping the Ade to Villa rumors are true and the Dembele rumors are false we seem to be clearing out everywhere and I wonder if we're clearing out for the sake of it or we could of held on for a better price (except Ade, sell him for a pack of wine gums Levy)

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:53 am

Seeing quite a few rumors from often reliable sources that we're in for Berahino. Feel quite mixed about that, two strikers who don't have a wealth of experience between them as our main goal sources? On the other hand if they do work well together we either 1) a good few years out of them due to them being young and 2) being young AND English we should get a good amount for them if sold

Dobbydob
Warrior of Metal

Postby Dobbydob » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 am

houston4044 wrote:I'm always a slow starter, hard to pick who you think will hit the ground running (even with the fixture list) I always end up picking up steam around November :lol:

yep, same here. Come Christmas time i tend to make up the points, but only ever enough so that i'm level with my mates again.
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:28 am

houston4044 wrote:Seeing quite a few rumors from often reliable sources that we're in for Berahino.

I hope so. I've splashed a fair bit of cash for him in my fantasy football auction!
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Tet wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Seeing quite a few rumors from often reliable sources that we're in for Berahino.

I hope so. I've splashed a fair bit of cash for him in my fantasy football auction!

Then you really want him to stay, he might actually be useful at a lower club, if he moves he'll never do anything like pretty much everyone else who moves.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:19 am

Dobbydob wrote:
houston4044 wrote:I'm always a slow starter, hard to pick who you think will hit the ground running (even with the fixture list) I always end up picking up steam around November :lol:

yep, same here. Come Christmas time i tend to make up the points, but only ever enough so that i'm level with my mates again.

When I think about it, for the last few seasons I think I've taken the lead after one or two shock results end up with me getting about 100 odd points in a week :lol:

Tet wrote:

inb4onlyplaysEuropagames :P

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:58 pm

2018 WC qualifying groups drawn, we have it pretty easy; only Scotland and Slovakia prima facie appear difficult (we'll make it harder than it has to be though, always the way).

Also, occurred to me earlier, any news on QPR being allowed back into the football league?