The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:40 am

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am

Very good! :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Nothing to do with me as I don't support England or Tottingham.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Having a lot of Polish co-workers made for an interesting watch today

Are you a plumber?

Gandalf the Red wrote:I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXg_Z6pQ4zY

Brilliant :lol:

Argentina..wow :o

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:16 am

I thought about posting something along the lines of 'Don't cry for me Argentina' but after seeing the wonderful footage of Maradona bawling his eyes out, that fat cunt can cry me a river all night long :D

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I thought about posting something along the lines of 'Don't cry for me Argentina' but after seeing the wonderful footage of Maradona bawling his eyes out, that fat cunt can cry me a river all night long :D

Not in that image but the first two times they panned over to him during the match I thought it was Craig Charles :lol:

I'm still shocked by the Argentine manager coming out and saying "The reality of the Argentina squad clouds Lionel Messi's brillance". Seriously? The firepower he has upfront and he labels them a one man team. I know the media and pundits will say it as it's an easy way to get fan's attention but that's such a slap in the face of the rest of the team. No wonder they're going to hell in a handcart

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 pm

It looks like Maradona is impersonating a Chinese person. Racist bastard.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:12 pm

houston4044 wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:I thought about posting something along the lines of 'Don't cry for me Argentina' but after seeing the wonderful footage of Maradona bawling his eyes out, that fat cunt can cry me a river all night long :D

Not in that image but the first two times they panned over to him during the match I thought it was Craig Charles :lol:

I'm still shocked by the Argentine manager coming out and saying "The reality of the Argentina squad clouds Lionel Messi's brillance". Seriously? The firepower he has upfront and he labels them a one man team. I know the media and pundits will say it as it's an easy way to get fan's attention but that's such a slap in the face of the rest of the team. No wonder they're going to hell in a handcart

To be honest the problem I saw in the Argentina team is that they expect Messi to do too much. If you watch Portugal the other 10 work around Ronaldo, they run with him, they give options and they give him the ball in positions where he can finish.

Every time Argentina got the ball, Messi had to drop to the halfway line to receive it, and then every other Argentina player stood completely still - almost every single time. This made them easy to mark and forced Messi to try and do everything himself.

They aren't a one man team due to the players ability, but because of the players' effort.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:28 pm

kanet666 wrote:
To be honest the problem I saw in the Argentina team is that they expect Messi to do too much. If you watch Portugal the other 10 work around Ronaldo, they run with him, they give options and they give him the ball in positions where he can finish.

Every time Argentina got the ball, Messi had to drop to the halfway line to receive it, and then every other Argentina player stood completely still - almost every single time. This made them easy to mark and forced Messi to try and do everything himself.

They aren't a one man team due to the players ability, but because of the players' effort.

Pretty much spot, I'd say the other difference between Portugal and Argentina is the fact that Argentina still have other players who can turn a game with the right support. If they fed Aguero and Higuian and gave them support in the box they could be scoring goals galore, yet the manager is seemingly just telling them to do everything through Messi.

To add to the earlier VAR conversation, one of the things highlighted in the Iran/Portugal game is that it leaves the refs really exposed at the moment. Without VAR once the ref rules on it, it's mostly shrugged off (unless it's a howler) but now they're hounded on all fronts. The ref had a poor game anyway but wasn't helped by the stoppages (or by the general dirtiness of the match either).

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:19 am

VAR cam work if the ref sticks to his convictions and tells gobby players to fuck off or they risk being booked. The problem last night was the ref was just giving in to the pressure of players being whiney bitches

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:56 pm

More than 70 years on and the Germans still can't conquer Russia. Shame the match wasn't at Volgograd.

Germany played like England and England are playing like Germany. Whatever will happen next?

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 pm

It was a good group stage overall I thought, some good games (with a few great games mixed in) and some pleasant surprises throughout. Think Senegal and Nigeria are unlucky to have gone out but hey, that's sport for you. Hopefully some of the big matches will see teams go out to win the game rather than avoid losing (i.e. overly defensively).

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Some great games and surprise results so far, France v Argentina :love:

kurrupo
Warrior of Metal

Postby kurrupo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 am

Loving this world cup so far. So many good games and it's even more interesting now a load of the big teams are out. I have a bad feeling about the game tomorrow night though, Colombia are a very good side and are very dangerous on the counter. Not sure I'm 100% confident that our defense can deal with them

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:22 am

Cracking game between Belgium and Japan. Both team fearlessly attacking, not too much in the way of histrionics either.

Can we also all take a moment to mourn Neymar's face... Fellaini (and his elbows!) await!