The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 am

Jobdone wrote:Hell of a win mainly spurred on by Liverpools complete inability to defend. We all knew the back was their issue and still did nothing to fix it in the summer.

It was a good mix of Spurs being at the top of their game and L'Pool defense being a shambles, The game against Utd is going to be a good watch if Jose decides to put the bus in gear.

So then, Koeman or Billic for next manager to go?

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Koeman it seems, Billic can't be far behind though.

The Liverpool defense problem is made worse by the fact that being leaky at the back is exactly why Rodgers failed, so it's not even a problem of Klopp's own making. The rot was well set in when he arrived and he's had 2 years to sort it out but done nothing.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Koeman has already gone.

I hope McNulty's happy as he was trying to get him sacked last night. Him and the BBC are an utter disgrace.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Koeman it seems, Billic can't be far behind though.

The Liverpool defense problem is made worse by the fact that being leaky at the back is exactly why Rodgers failed, so it's not even a problem of Klopp's own making. The rot was well set in when he arrived and he's had 2 years to sort it out but done nothing.

Rodgers had lost the fans when he played a reserve team against Real Madrid. Klopp hasn't lost them yet. The proper fans I mean rather than the "bottom half of the internet" types that have never been to a game.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Koeman it seems, Billic can't be far behind though.

Having looked at the transfers made during his tenure Klopp isn't exactly prioritizing strengthening his defense, most of his transfers have revolved around the midfield. I get Gegenpressing puts more emphasis play at the top of the field but that has to be built on a strong defense to allow that. As to whether it's Klopp or others in charge of transfers who are to blame I don't know but surely it's got to come to a head soon.

Gandalf the Red wrote:Koeman has already gone.

I hope McNulty's happy as he was trying to get him sacked last night. Him and the BBC are an utter disgrace.

I read that also, normally I'd agree with you, often a temporary loss of form or just bad luck is conflated too quickly with "sack them" by the Beeb. I'd agree with them on Koeman though, every time I've seen Everton play this season it really has smacked of 11 individuals on the field playing for themselves apart from the City match. While I'd admit it is a bit sooner than I'd have hoped (unless they're utterly clueless then I'd give managers time) but I've seen little to warrant keeping Koeman had the form continued as is.

Though the Beeb love to kick Everton fans when they're down, after the Koeman article they put one up speculating that Moyes could return :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm

The BBC is supposed to report the news though. Not influence it.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:The BBC is supposed to report the news though. Not influence it.

Beats the constant articles on Utd that Mcnaulty churns out at the expense of things people actually care about

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:58 am

Liverpool's defense has been shit for years, which makes Jose's tactics the other week all the more baffling - he seems to have slightly derailed Manchester United's season for a bit, purely to play defensive against a team whose defense would collapse under a bit of pressure. What seems absolutely stupid to me, and perhaps Gandalf or someone has more insight, but why exactly did Liverpool get rid of Sakho? Granted, he isn't the best in the world, but he's only young, and seems like he could be better than their other defenders. I get that they wanted van Dijk, but I think they should have waited until they actually got him to sell.

Koeman leaving (and lets face it, Bilic won't be long behind) is pretty much typical these days. Clubs seem to want fancy, European managers without realising that they don't necessarily fit the style of the club. It's like Mark Hughes trying to get Stoke to play good football the other year - you are Stoke, your gameplan is play dirty, kick it long and hope Crouch gets a header. Koeman could maybe have had Everton working together given time, but not signing a replacement for Lukaku doesn't help.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Sakho got the "Sakho" due to attitude problems. Mostly due to the fatburner he was taking without permission from the club, constant lateness and fitness issues.

Most of the details are here. But I think it was pissing the manager off by interrupting him when he was doing a live TV interview that was the last straw.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/liv ... -liverpool

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks, an interesting read. I had in the back of my mind something about disciplinary problems, but I forgot all about the drug tests. Still, can't help but feel its a bit of a waste for Liverpool.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Haribo Cup tonight apparently.

Funnily enough I was talking to someone the other day that actually thought it was called the Haribo Cup. :lol:

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 am

Van Djik would only paper over the cracks though, I don't get the fixation about him, good defender but won't solve everything himself.

Haribo or not, I was willing Wolves and Norwich on last night :lol: seems the reserve teams still won though, which is a shame

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:08 pm

They might be reserve teams, but look how many full internationals are on show and how much they cost.

I know it's a different era, but when I was regularly going to the match if a team was playing in the LC then it would be the same team as it would be every other match. A player played unless he was suspended (which was rare) or injured. Most teams had a squad of about 20 players and then you were down to the kids.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I saw some dickhead city fan going on about that

"Well we played our second string tho"

https://i.imgur.com/OdMxBhn.png

When your second string has one of the best strikers in the league and a shitload of internationals, that ins't an excuse. Just give Wolve's their due.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm

That "second string" cost literally a quarter of a billion in transfer fees. And no that's not including the £200 million odd value of the substitutes! :lol:
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire