The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-comment-1billion-valuation-9205206

Couldn't find the original article but this is the same, Fenway now value L'Pool as worth £1 Billion or four Neymar's, quite a change in fortunes considering they nearly ended up in administration.

As for the Barca/Catalan issue I'd have thought Barca would be fine, I imagine any league in Europe would welcome them in; I imagine PSG and Monaco would kick up a fuss if they joined Ligue 1 as it would put their CL chances in jeopardy but otherwise they'd be welcomed with open arms. The smaller teams in Catalonia will take a hit though as I can't see leagues giving them red carpet treatments.

Imagine if Barca ended up in the Prem? TV rights deal would go through the roof :lol:

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Why have Scotland had a second strip in pink when they've got four flag colours to choose from? Is it just random kit colours for national teams now?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I may be a bit cynical, but it could be something to do with trying to sell shirts. What? You've already got a blue one, then get a nice new pink one. :P

Yeah. I'm a traditionalist and think that second or third choice kits should only be worn when there is an actual clash of colours rather than at the whim of shirt manufacturers.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 pm

This was even worse:

Who designed it? Stella McCartney?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

WC is shaping up to be interesting already, liking some underdog teams have made it over some of the big names.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Anyone fancy explaining the nations league thing to me? I can't make head nor tails of the BBC's explanation of it :lol:

Also, I didn't realize that Micheal Eisner owned Portsmouth FC now, that managed to completely pass me by :o

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Team X plays Team Y and then the losers play Team G and if they lose that one they go in to the semi finals against the winner of Only Connect, where I think they've got this strange idea from. :?

Can't stand international football at the best of times. Fed up with players coming back injured after meaningless games.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:50 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Team X plays Team Y and then the losers play Team G and if they lose that one they go in to the semi finals against the winner of Only Connect, where I think they've got this strange idea from. :?

Can't stand international football at the best of times. Fed up with players coming back injured after meaningless games.

I've read different articles/explanations and it still seems the least intuitive design if I've managed to understand correctly :?

I like international football, teams having to work around what they have rather than what they can buy. Plus the underdog factor always makes it more entertaining, Croatia in '04, Senegal in '02, Greece '04 etc teams like that are interesting, it's like the FA giant killings but on steroids.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am

Crystal Palace and Watford have made my weekend :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Yeah. I'm a traditionalist and think that second or third choice kits should only be worn when there is an actual clash of colours rather than at the whim of shirt manufacturers.

I'd go further than that, and say that third kits shouldn't exist at all. You should have one home kit and one away kit. If you're playing away and the two home kits are sufficiently similar to each other, then the away team should switch to their away kit. Which is how it used to be (this feels like it belongs in the "what Tet and Gandalf did in the war" thread!). But of course, money drives everything these days, and you make more money by having more kits and wearing them occasionally than you do by only having two.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Shakespeare sacked. :D

Just need the backstabbers to get relegated now.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Shakespeare sacked. :D

Just need the backstabbers to get relegated now.

I mean, if they didn't "backstab" last season they would've got relegated anyway.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 am

What's with the Blueshite? :?

They even take toddlers and start fighting. Watch the video of the scumbag with the kid in his arm. :rofl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Lopes.html

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:13 pm

It's shocking parents would do that to a small child, out of all the horrible things in the world to expose them to, Everton FC :eyes:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Hell of a win mainly spurred on by Liverpools complete inability to defend. We all knew the back was their issue and still did nothing to fix it in the summer.