The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:51 pm

houston4044 wrote:How come the most of the good managers get sacked after a run of a few bad games but the bad managers don't get sacked after months of bad results? Why Rodgers and Lambert were kept on so long is a bit odd :lol:

You can't really say that Rodgers has been a particularly bad manager. Don't forget he nearly won the league not that long ago, without having the resources of most of the other top teams. They only spent less than £10 million on players this season when you look at the ins and outs. Which is one of the lowest in the PL. Even Bournemouth have spent more.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:How come the most of the good managers get sacked after a run of a few bad games but the bad managers don't get sacked after months of bad results? Why Rodgers and Lambert were kept on so long is a bit odd :lol:

You can't really say that Rodgers has been a particularly bad manager. Don't forget he nearly won the league not that long ago, without having the resources of most of the other top teams. They only spent less than £10 million on players this season when you look at the ins and outs. Which is one of the lowest in the PL. Even Bournemouth have spent more.

Pool fan and Rodgers out. Yes we played some fun football under Rodgers bur the year we nearly won was tactically null. We just tried to outscore opponents like a child's five a side. You score three well score four . I'm sure that any manager could have done well with sturridge, sterling shared, coutinho and Gerrard in the team, nothing tactical required there. The defense under Rodgers has always been shocking - the recent game against scum was am embarrassment. Lovren is a joke and skrtel could have given away two more goals in the first fifteen if scum weren't the most inept they've been in five years. He's tactically shit and his signings haven't been much better. They're so hard to watch at the moment and it would be great if he'd stop banging on about character all the time. He wasn't even good at Swansea, the groundwork was all martinez

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 pm

I'd like him to be kept on a bit, but...they are one of those teams that just can't seem to sign anyone good. I'm not sure if it's the manager or the board, but whoever's doing the signings there seems to go for a flavour of the month that doesn't really fit into the system Liverpool play. Tactically Liverpool seem to just wish they had a Suarez to rely on rather than build a new style of play.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:27 am

I was going to reply but Skippy and JWH28 have already explained it for me :lol:

Rodgers did okay at Swansea and Reading but his time at Liverpool seems pretty well summed up by the word "Suarez". I know managers generally rely on one or two key players per team but most managers are able to either replace them or adapt their team when those players are no longer there. Rodgers hasn't done that very well at all (from adapting the team point of view, I don't know how much of a say in terms of signings he has).

Liverpool haven't exactly sunk with him at the helm to be fair, but whereas most managers get the benefit of the doubt in that respect; given 'Pool's on field antics I'd attribute that to the players like Sturridge and Gerrard etc rather than to Rodger's managerial skills/'Pool's on field quality hid tactical deficiencies against smaller teams. You only have to look at the CL run, they looked so adrift.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:20 am

I think Rodgers has performed a miracle if you look at the players he inherited from Dalglish and Hodgson.

Even so who could replace him and do a better job? I don't exactly see any top quality managers available.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:41 am

Off the liverpool topic, very happy with our win on Sunday.

It was a proper champions win, we played like absolute shite the entire time but still nicked a 1-0. And that's 2 clean sheets on the trot, couldn't even dream of that last season.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I think Rodgers has performed a miracle if you look at the players he inherited from Dalglish and Hodgson.

Even so who could replace him and do a better job? I don't exactly see any top quality managers available.

The only one I can think of really is Klopp, but he says he wants a smaller club if he comes back to management. That said, Liverpool strike me as a good fit for him, so you never know.

Rodgers' biggest mistake was not pushing on from finishing 2nd. Poor signings that summer led to stagnation and now his possession game just isn't working. Probably time for a change.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:39 pm

I would give him until Christmas and see where we are then. If we aren't challenging for the Champions League places then maybe it's time to get someone else in. Never been happy with clubs that chop and change managers at whim though.

Klopp is favourite with the bookies. And they don't often get things wrong.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I think Rodgers has performed a miracle if you look at the players he inherited from Dalglish and Hodgson.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation; the longer you stay with Rodgers the more your going to stagnate but at the same time if you get the wrong person to replace him then it's the same situation.

Isn't Ancelloti looking for a job at the moment? Might be a step down for him but I'm sure he does charity cases once in awhile :P

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Cunts.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:03 am

Turbo wrote:Cunts.

I apologise on the behalf of Rovers for selling Gestede to Villa. :lol:
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Lewandowski. Wow. Came on as a sub, scored five goals in 9 minutes. The fifth in particular was pretty spectacular.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Tet wrote:Lewandowski. Wow. Came on as a sub, scored five goals in 9 minutes. The fifth in particular was pretty spectacular.

We were set to sign him when we had Big Sam in charge, Unfortunately, when he was set to sign that huge ash cloud went up and halted flights and he ended up signing for Dortmund instead. Great striker.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:19 am

Second string team with a centre back we tried to get chucked of in the summer in the North London Derby.

Fuck off.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:21 am

47 shots at goal with 16 on target and you only score one, and have to scrape through on penalties against a L2 team. :(