The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby kanet666 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Well, that's Rodgers gone. Can't say I'm surprised, Liverpool have been awful this season. Klopp will be the favourite to replace him I imagine.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 pm

kanet666 wrote:Well, that's Rodgers gone. Can't say I'm surprised, Liverpool have been awful this season. Klopp will be the favourite to replace him I imagine.

I'd like to say he's been hard done by, but spending £200m on a bunch of players that don't really fit your system (whether that was his decision or not) and coming in 6th every year is never gonna end well.

Now begins the weeks where every manager linked with the job slowly starts ruling themselves out and they end up with Sean Dyche or someone.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 am

Yeah, you can talk a lot about him losing some important players, but it's not like the club didn't know it was coming.

When you replace one of the best strikers in the world with Rickie Lambert and a guy with quality but massive behaviour issues, what do you expect.

Be interesting to see who they get in, and not liking that Tottenham is gonna be the next managers first game. No better way to kick off a honeymoon period than smashing Spurs :(

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 am

Skippy wrote:I'd like to say he's been hard done by, but spending £200m on a bunch of players that don't really fit your system (whether that was his decision or not) and coming in 6th every year is never gonna end well.

He's not really spent £200 million. Yes that amount may be in the spend column, but when you have sold quality players to get that money then you are in deficit. In reality it was more like £12 million the last window.

I've never seen a Derby like it. No passion, no heart, no commitment. Just as bad as the time when we had Roy Hodgson. Nice bloke, just not good enough. Timing was right. Gives the next manager time to evaluate what is needed and to spend as appropriate. When you look at the bench and it's full of kids that nobody knows then something is wrong.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 am

To be fair, he's at about 90 million net spend so far over the three years, which considering the transfers is awful.

Never really looked a list of them before, considering the costs of some of them, way too few successes.

http://liverpoolfc.wikia.com/wiki/Brend ... /Transfers

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:22 pm

Our next match is against Liverpool. A team with a new manager and a team full of players eager to impress that new manager. Why does this always happen to us? It was Pardew's return to Palace last season. They won. Just as I expect Liverpool to do here :-(
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:39 pm

We didn't need a new manager to beat Spurs. :lol:

Last 5 games: 3-2, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, 3-2.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Hey, we got it down to 1 goal difference last time! We might've even drew this time.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 am

I just hope Klopp hasn't learnt their names yet so he accidentally picks all the reserve players thinking he's picked all the first team players :eyes:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Confirmed. :D

And it looks like the end of the road for Septic Bladder and Platini. :D

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:47 pm

I'm keeping quietly optimistic about the Blatter/Platini malarky. Whilst the news is all good at the moment, they're slimy as fuck and rich which suggest they'll be joint president by the end of the year.

And shit towards the Klopp thing. Hopefully it'll be more of Mainz relegation season/Dortmunds 7th place, than the two title winning seasons.

And if there isn't a huge banner with "Klopp End" at the Kop end at his first home game I'll be sorely disappointed.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Don't know why everyone's excited about Klopp in the Prem, it's big Sam's return to the league with Sunderland that's going to set the league on fire :P

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:44 pm

houston4044 wrote:Don't know why everyone's excited about Klopp in the Prem, it's big Sam's return to the league with Sunderland that's going to set the league on fire :P

I like Big Sam, but Sunderland bore me as a team, so I kind of hope he's a failure. I really want to see them relegated.

It will be interesting to see Klopp though. Everyone's talking about winning the league, but I think that's a long way off.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:52 pm

I still wish we had Big Sam, saved us from the disaster that was Paul Ince and then made us formidable at home (although the annual tanking at Old Trafford took the piss a little).

As for Klopp, I'm a bit torn. Love the guy but don't really like Liverpool, but he may be enough to sway me into wishing them a bit better luck over the coming months.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:32 pm

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...