TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 pm

I've always enjoyed most Star Trek, so am working my way through the lot. I found TOS to be fun, if formulaic - and I didn't think series 3 is awful like others do (though, it is the weakest of them).

I'm currently about 1/4 of the way through S4 of TNG. First season started with some really iffy episodes, but it is watchable. Season 2 reduces the number of poor episodes, whilst not really raising the bar that much. 3 was a big step up, and the last 4 or 5 episodes are top quality stuff. 4 has been pretty good so far. :)

The bits of DS9 I've seen before lead me to believe I'll adore it on the full run through - I love darker sci fi (to echo previous sentiments, both Blake's 7 and the BSG remake are excellent).

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Soze wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:The best Sci Fi series of the last few years was Lexx. :lol:

A sign of old age when you consider something that finished 13 years ago as being from 'the past few years' :lol:

That would be Battlestar Galactica anyway!

13 years ago is ultra modern for me. :lol:

Got given that Battlestar Galactica for Christmas. Not watched it yet.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:14 am

Clever little Modern Family episode this week.

I genuinely feel sorry for people not watching Banshee right now.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
I genuinely feel sorry for people not watching Banshee right now.

Does anyone know when it's back on in Britain? I'd completely forgot about that programme but the first two series were great.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:39 pm

"Summer 2015" was the last highly informative statement I saw.

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I've always enjoyed most Star Trek, so am working my way through the lot. I found TOS to be fun, if formulaic - and I didn't think series 3 is awful like others do (though, it is the weakest of them).

I'm currently about 1/4 of the way through S4 of TNG. First season started with some really iffy episodes, but it is watchable. Season 2 reduces the number of poor episodes, whilst not really raising the bar that much. 3 was a big step up, and the last 4 or 5 episodes are top quality stuff. 4 has been pretty good so far. :)

The bits of DS9 I've seen before lead me to believe I'll adore it on the full run through - I love darker sci fi (to echo previous sentiments, both Blake's 7 and the BSG remake are excellent).

The best episode of TNG S3 is Yesterday's Enterprise.
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Davros wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:I've always enjoyed most Star Trek, so am working my way through the lot. I found TOS to be fun, if formulaic - and I didn't think series 3 is awful like others do (though, it is the weakest of them).

It is certainly up there - along with Best of Both Worlds Part 1, and Sarek.

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:
Davros wrote:

It is certainly up there - along with Best of Both Worlds Part 1, and Sarek.

Those are classics! As well as Darmock. What was the episode where Warf kept jumping through alternate universes. That's another classic.
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Deja Q
I, Borg
Descent

Three of my favourite episodes there.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Luthor is coming back for 2 episodes and they started filming today. I just had a bit of an excitement wee.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Finally got through the last season of True Blood.

What a delightful ending.

Everyone I liked got the ending they deserved, everyone I didn't was dead or completely fucked over.

10/10

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Jobdone wrote:Finally got through the last season of True Blood.

Everyone I liked got the ending they deserved, everyone I didn't was dead or completely fucked over.

10/10

Still need to finish that off - got to episode 9 and gave up. As long as they don't kill Lafayette, i'll be ok.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:48 pm

The last episode is a bit of drudge when it comes to Sookies shit because holy fuck who cares at this point, but a good close off to the series.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Jobdone wrote:Finally got through the last season of True Blood.

10/10

Have to say I thought it was one of the worst endings to any series ever. People talk about Dexter, but holy shit this is 100 lumberjacks worse.

*SPOILERS*
The whole Bill thing made absolutely no sense to me. He suddenly decided he didn't really want to live? Fuck's sake man, they were both doing fine without each other anyway. You are right in that it was good to see some characters get happy endings but the whole shit with Tara was so monumentally silly, a pointless side plot. They seemed to give up on the whole werewolf thing (not necessarily a bad idea mind), and the entire thing with Eric was kind of funny, but a little bit out of character. I can't remember everything I disliked about it, but so many people seemed to change their minds about different things every five seconds. Honestly, for me it was just a confused ending to a series that had good points, but spent too long being confused at itself.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Nothing is worse than the series finale to Dexter.
NOTHING.

Okay, I'll give you How I Met Your Mother.
BUT NOTHING ELSE.