TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Soze » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:11 pm

I forced my way through S5 & 6 of True Blood, the show completely went to ratshit. Eventually just gave up about 3 eps into S7. I should go back and complete it after sticking with it for so long but I just can't be arsed. I loved the first 4 years of it.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Better Call Saul is still great. :yes:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Give it to me Chandler, I want it all

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am

Oooh, you're so big.
Fill me up all the way.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:47 am

Thought I'd try new comedy show, The Last Man on Earth.
Will Forte plays, well... the title says it all really.

It's okay. I chuckled a few times but it didn't make laugh properly once. Then Kristen Schaal turned up and even the chuckles dried up.
I'll probably wait until the end of the season now to hear what people say about it before deciding whether to bother again. If it's all positive, then fair enough, but as it stands I just don't think it's worth me wasting my time on.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:39 am

With regarding endings, True Blood massively outshits Dexter. With Dexter, you get a few iffy creative decisions (and a naff ending) in what is probably its weakest series. By weakest, we're talking very average telly, with some sub-average episodes.

True Blood totally shits the bed in its last 1-2 seasons. The last season is particularly rubbish - such a damp squib of an ending. And - without posting spoilers - the Bill-centric stuff was nonsensical.

/rant.

On the flipside - what is everyone's favourite endings? I'd have to include Blake's 7 for sure.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:44 am

Parks and Recreation and The Office (US) are probably my two favourite TV show finales ever.
Both leave you with plenty of closure on the characters and round things off nicely.
In fact, I'm very tempted to re-watch both shows from second seasons to end (as both had naff beginnings).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 am

The BSG reboot had an excellent last episode. I may have cried a bit.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:With regarding endings, True Blood massively outshits Dexter. With Dexter.

Sorry, not even close.

Most people shrugged off True Blood's finale as just poor or unmemorable, while Dexter's was so teeth-grindingly stupid that the word "lumberjack" has already become a staple of TV vocabulary in much the same way as "jumping the shark".

BSG's finale did nothing for me tbh. By the time the last series rolled around it had already crumpled under the weight of its own self importance and it felt more like an escape than a finale.
I've actually just been reading up on it and didn't realise it was so universally disliked. More than one website asking if it was actually the worst finale to any sci-fi show ever.

This actually sums up my feelings on it quite well.
Battlestar Galactica's finale was a cop out, but it was also the perfect goodbye. Ron Moore dropped the ball on plot but as always, the show delivered where it really mattered: Characters. Ignore the superstitious mumbo jumbo. No one is going to remember all the awful stock footage of robots or the ridiculous, anti-technology plot device in which the entire fleet decides for no particular reason to abandon all technology and start using spears. Scratch that, they had a reason. Their souls weren’t ready for science. Funny no one mentioned that notion until five minutes before the credits. Frak all of that. We’ll remember the people, their faces, and the lives they’ve touched. Goodbye Battlestar Galactica. I don’t care about the answers, you’ve been a good ship.

Best TV show finales?

Spartacus
Frasier
Blackadder
Parks and Rec
Six Feet Under
Breaking Bad
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
The Sopranos

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:With regarding endings, True Blood massively outshits Dexter. With Dexter.

Sorry, not even close.

Most people shrugged off True Blood's finale as just poor or unmemorable, while Dexter's was so teeth-grindingly stupid that the word "lumberjack" has already become a staple of TV vocabulary in much the same way as "jumping the shark".

For me I think the difference is that until the last season, Dexter was still pretty watchable stuff. Yeah, they'd had some patchy stuff, but it looked like it was coming close to getting back to form. True Blood had long decended into nonsensical bullshit about fairies and god-vampires. I actually quite liked Dexter's last episode, I thought it was the best they could have done at the time, but the last series was massively disappointing overall, it felt like run of the mill stuff from them, like they'd only found out it was the last series just before the last episode, and they put together the ending fairly quickly based on what was available. At least for me, it worked a bit more than True Blood's nonsensical character choices, sub-plots that went nowhere, and shoehorned-in happy ending.
Darkweasel wrote:BSG's finale did nothing for me tbh. By the time the last series rolled around it had already crumpled under the weight of its own self importance and it felt more like an escape than a finale.
I've actually just been reading up on it and didn't realise it was so universally disliked. More than one website asking if it was actually the worst finale to any sci-fi show ever.

I had no strong feelings one way or the other about this. It was just pseudo-religious bullshit, but again, maybe the best they could have done. Lost's on the other hand, was pretentiously bad.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Didn't realise there was so much hate for the BSG finale! The religious element was a strong theme throughout so I don't get why you wouldn't expect that.

But you are totally right about Lost. They had no clue what they were doing by then.

15/07 - Saor - London

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:24 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the BSG finale until the very end. The show had been so unremittingly bleak that I didn't like it ending with a good degree of hope and optimism. And the 2 God people wandering down the street was a bit silly!

Blake's 7, The Prisoner, Breaking Bad, Blackadder and Babylon 5 all had terrific final episodes.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Am I right in thinking that JJ Abrams intended Lost to finish much earlier than it did, which is why the final few seasons went off the rails?

Not that I'm overly fussed either way, as I stopped watching during the first season. Was a bit too young to really give a toss about it when it was relevant and haven't bothered going back to it - especially since I found out how it ended years ago.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Applecore wrote:Am I right in thinking that JJ Abrams intended Lost to finish much earlier than it did, which is why the final few seasons went off the rails?

Not that I'm overly fussed either way, as I stopped watching during the first season. Was a bit too young to really give a toss about it when it was relevant and haven't bothered going back to it - especially since I found out how it ended years ago.

He said at the time that it was all planned out exactly - though if he expected it to end earlier that does explain an awful lot!

I'm still undecided on whether I like the finale of The Prisoner. I love that show but the last episode is just .....

15/07 - Saor - London

Chugging Pus
Leather Rebel

Postby Chugging Pus » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:30 am

The Prisoner finale was fantastic, may not always have made much sense but certainly kept within the ethos of the show. I actually didn't mind the Lost finale either.

Discovered by chance a comedy series on Netflix called Danger 5. It is without a doubt the strangest series I have watched in a long time.
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."