TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am

Never been a fan of Dr Who but wow, with the reaction in my workplace you could easily be mistaken that they'd just cast a giraffe or something to play the Dr :lol:

Thing is with all these plot loops, it's sci-fi, can't they just write their way around it? They're not exactly bound by reality.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am

Bizza wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:It'll be cancelled. Calling it now.

It won't, calling it now.

If they don't get any viewers and merchandise sales plummet then it's finished. Women and young girls don't buy DVDs and merchandise, men and boys do. Go into any Sci Fi shop and count the women.

Just look at Top Gear. One of the biggest brands worldwide, went from over 10 million UK viewers to just over 1.5 million in one year. They lost over 300 million viewers worldwide. That's hanging by a thread and probably won't last much longer.

The BBC isn't averse to cancelling programmes. They killed Doctor Who off last time and I reckon they are doing the same now.

Red Dwarf is a prime example. Added a woman character, thereby changing the dynamic of the programme and the show died.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 pm

But they never changed their main characters to Lucy Skywalker, Hannah Solo and Dorothy Vader half way through.

No problem with having female characters. Just the fact they are doing this for all the wrong reasons.

As I said there are already Time Ladies, so why didn't they just have a new character or even an established one such as Romana rather than ruin an established programme?

And I've got every right to complain about it since I pay for my TV licence and have watched the show since the days they still had Police Boxes in the street.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Red Dwarf is a prime example. Added a woman character, thereby changing the dynamic of the programme and the show died.

Red Dwarf didn't go under because of the introduction of Kochanski, look at the revived series, she wasn't the issue, it's the drop in the quality of writing that's the problem. As for Dr Who I can't comment, don't watch it.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Bit salty in here.

"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

I think the youngsters will take to the female doctor because they are used to the program being a more human drama than a sci fi show. It'll be the old boys who are fans of the old doctor who that won't.

I'm intrigued though because in internet world there loads of people saying of course the doctor can regenerate into a woman, it's part of the show's history and if you don't know that you aren't a fan. Surely it's only been mentioned in the last few seasons though right? Was it ever mentioned in classic who? People make it sound like it's always been the case not that the most recent writer just decided to add it.

Red Dwarf 7 and 8 weren't well received because of the long gap from 6, the change of style and not being very funny. Never bothered me that they added Chloe Annett. She was hot ha ha!
I see the bad moon arising.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am

So GoT and Rick and Morty are back. :yes:

I appreciate that GoT is heading towards a conclusion, and aims to get there in 13 episodes stretching over two seasons (only 3 left in this season, and 9 total!), but it really does feel rushed. I'm still enjoying it, but everything feels forced and disjointed. It's like everyone suddenly gained teleportation powers.

I have no bad words for R&M. Pickle Riiiiiiiick!

Also, small GoT spoilers
~ Adam Jenson

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:37 am

I'm a massive Count Arthur Strong fan, even went to a couple of radio recordings in Manchester a few years ago. But I reckon the TV series was extremely poor.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I'm not against a female Doctor in theory. But the producers' obvious 'diversity' agenda bugs me.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/H ... 42457.html
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Blood Drive - Quite probably the best show on TV you're not watching. Julian Slink :lol:

Game of Thrones - People complaining about "plot holes" and pointing out pointless little inaccuracies need to get a fucking grip. This whole season has been fantastic so far.

The Mist - Fucked it off after five episodes. What a load of old arse. :lol: :lol:

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King done properly. Only two episodes in but it's brilliant so far.

Twin Peaks - David Lynch makes a TV show for an audience consisting entirely of David Lynch.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:09 am

Darkweasel wrote:
The Mist - Fucked it off after five episodes. What a load of old arse. :lol: :lol:

Watched the first episode and realised what a shit show it was gonna be. A bunch of boring character interaction, generic plotlines, yaddayadda.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:38 am

Everybody should watch blood drive.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:10 am

So the Game of Thrones finale was pretty good. The Little Finger stuff was a little anti-climatic, but it was still satisfying. The scenes on the way to, and in, the dragon pit were good too, particularly the reunions between certain characters.

Can't believe there's only six episodes left, and we might have to wait until 2019 for them. :cry:
~ Adam Jenson

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 am

A lot of people seem to be criticising Littlefinger's death, but I thought it was fine. He died on his knees, snivelling and trying to worm his way out of things. A perfectly appropriate ending.
Theon's story also seems to be annoying people, but that was a real "fuck yeah" moment.
Eventually.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am

After the complete mess that was the previous episode, I quite enjoyed the finale. Littlefinger's death was pretty fun to watch, and it looks like Theon might actually do something next season. The thing that annoys me about the whole series still crops up though - the whole "steal a wight" thing. I mean really, they should never have expected Cersei to change her mind (especially so easily), and it was obviously more of a risk than was necessary. The fact that the last shot suggests the White Walkers would never have been a threat if you hadn't gone up there and given them a dragon sums it up even more. I get that it's just for plot progression, but surely they could have written it in a way that made actual sense?
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!