TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Applecore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

I've not read any of the books (and probably never will, I take ages to read books), so for me Game of Thrones is just fine. New season's off to a good start.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:55 am

I read the first GoT book after watching the first season but (rather oddly for me) I much preferred the TV show so decided to continue just watching it from there on in.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Soze wrote:I read the first GoT book after watching the first season but (rather oddly for me) I much preferred the TV show so decided to continue just watching it from there on in.

I prefer film to text myself, but did enjoy the GOT book, the problem is finding time to read them :|
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
Soze wrote:I read the first GoT book after watching the first season but (rather oddly for me) I much preferred the TV show so decided to continue just watching it from there on in.

I prefer film to text myself, but did enjoy the GOT book, the problem is finding time to read them :|

i read the first two books after both seasons, and foudn the tv show much more enjoyable and still found the most interesting characters to be Arya, John Snow and Tyrion. the rest of the books just seemed like waffle and quite boring. i'll give the third book a go after this season.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm

If they were that bad, they certainly wouldn't have been made in to a tv series and have millions of fans :lol:

Everyone's a critic :P
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Who gives a fuck about those shitty books and their terrible tv show.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT IS COMING BACK.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm certainly a visual fan rather than a reading fan, I also find that if a book is put on film, it's nowhere near as good as I imagined it :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Jobdone wrote:Who gives a fuck about those shitty books and their terrible tv show.

The millions watching the most successful tv series of the past 5 years :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Jobdone wrote:Who gives a fuck about those shitty books and their terrible tv show.

im gonna get NEtflix on my xbox just so i can watch it. hopefully it will finally give the film the footing it needs to be green lit.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Andy Hall wrote:

The millions watching the most successful tv series of the past 5 years :lol:

That would be The Walking Dead...this weekend just gone it attracted almost 3 times as many viewers as GoT did in the States. The companion piece 'The Talking Dead'...in which a bunch of people sit around talking about the episode...got a million viewers more than Game of Thrones did!

As for books Vs Tv/film...they're two different mediums so I always respect that changes have to be made. Traditionally I rarely prefer a film based on a book I've enjoyed but I do prefer the TV show Game of Thrones to the one book I read. Conversely, I prefer the comic book to the TV series of The Walking Dead.

Also, on The Walking Dead, it seems Europe is finally getting the first season uncut on DVD/blu-ray...but you'll have to import it from Germany.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm

For the most part I'd rather read a book - certainly rather read a book than watch a film, although I only really want one version - I avoided reading the Song of Ice and Fire book just because I knew Game of Thrones was being made. For the most part I'd rather they made something unique rather than just ripping off something already out there, constant adaptions and reboot really piss me off. Some books I'd love to see a TV version of though - was gutted when the Dark Tower tv series collapsed, that would have been cool, and the Malazan series could be awesome, though it'll never be made it's far too complicated to work in bitesize chunks.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Just watched the first episode of Hannibal and I must say, even though I had big reservations about it (I admit I still had to stifle a giggle at the obvious CSI group shot), I found it really quite enjoyable. Gorier, creepier, and just generally better than other recent psycho TV shows The Following and Bates Motel, it also draws positive comparisons to Dexter's earlier, much darker moments.

In just 40 minutes, Mads Mikkelsen has already proven himself to be a far superior younger Lecter than the cardboard non-entity who played him in Hannibal Rising. Unerringly observant and analytical with a dark, playful streak, the only thing creepier than his ice cold gaze is his taste in suits.
We don't get to see much of the supporting cast other than a couple of "Hey guys, we're in it too" moments, but of the other two key characters, the chap playing Will Graham is suitably twitchy and neurotic, and Laurence Fishburne gets to shout at people and look equally puzzled and concerned. Occasionally at the same time.
An impressive start, but one I hope doesn't start falling into killer of the week territory too soon.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Slayer-ov-orcs wrote:I really enjoyed Game of Thrones, one of my friends who has read the books thought it was awful though.

Personally, I really like the series. I have read all of the books so far, and although there are some things I dislike about the series, overall they're doing a great job IMO.

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm

New Community again proving that this Season is returning the show back to what I loved about it in the first place!
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Skippy wrote:For the most part I'd rather read a book - certainly rather read a book than watch a film, although I only really want one version - I avoided reading the Song of Ice and Fire book just because I knew Game of Thrones was being made. For the most part I'd rather they made something unique rather than just ripping off something already out there, constant adaptions and reboot really piss me off. Some books I'd love to see a TV version of though - was gutted when the Dark Tower tv series collapsed, that would have been cool, and the Malazan series could be awesome, though it'll never be made it's far too complicated to work in bitesize chunks.

I'd agree with you about this being a rip off if George R R Martin wasn't anything to do with this, but he's massively involved, this is as much his vision as NBC's