TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby WorMzy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am

Aw geez, the latest Rick and Morty, guys.

10/10. Would Morty again.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am

Justin Roiland deserves a bloody oscar after that one.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 am

So Red Dwarf's back on. First episode was very "by the numbers" Red Dwarf -- mostly entertaining but nothing to write home about. Hopefully the other episodes make a bit more of a splash.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 pm

The first part of Gunpowder was pretty good. The true history itself is dramatic enough.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:01 am

I watched the first episode of Gunpowder and never went back to it.
The execution scene was way too over-hyped, and the final scene was just laughable. "My name is GUY FAWKES!".
Go away.

Season 2 of The Exorcist is building nicely.

The wife's got me watching Outlander because she likes romance and shirtless ginger blokes in kilts. I like tits, front bottoms and violence, so we're both happy.

Neflix hit two home runs recently with The Sinner(Jessica Biel goes to the beach with her family and stabs a bloke to death for no apparent reason) and Mindhunter (semi-fictionalised account of how profiling serial killers became a thing). I watched The Sinner in two sittings (seven episodes one night, the finale the next morning) and I did Mindhunter in three. The guy playing Ed Kemper deserves an Emmy, and the chap playing Jerome Brudos will creep out many a young lady.

Vice Principals has been much better this time out. Shame it finishes for good on Monday.

Z Nation is treading water at the moment. The last episode was excellent but it's the first time this season that it's grabbed me.

The Walking Dead has gone for the All Out War story from the comic books and people are losing their shit over it, complaining that it's just been one long gun fight for three weeks. So, for seven seasons it moved too slowly and needed more action, and now it's become more action oriented, people are complaining because it's not got enough story. Seriously, if I was a TV writer, I'd have shot myself by now.

Stan Against Evil returned, but was even less funny than the first season. I am no longer watching Stan Against Evil.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Unsurprisingly, the first episode of the new X-Files is all a bit of an incoherent muddle.
Half the episode is spent trying to clear up the mess left at the end of the last series, while the other half just ends up making an even bigger one.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Unsurprisingly, the first episode of the new X-Files is all a bit of an incoherent muddle.
Half the episode is spent trying to clear up the mess left at the end of the last series, while the other half just ends up making an even bigger one.

Twin Peaks then? :lol:

Seriously though, TP is amazing and was best tv I watched last year

gavdann
Leather Rebel

Postby gavdann » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am

Darkweasel wrote:The Walking Dead has gone for the All Out War story from the comic books and people are losing their shit over it, complaining that it's just been one long gun fight for three weeks. So, for seven seasons it moved too slowly and needed more action, and now it's become more action oriented, people are complaining because it's not got enough story. Seriously, if I was a TV writer, I'd have shot myself by now.

I don't remember anyone complaining there wasn't enough action in the first 7 seasons. People have been losing their shit because the new season is just crap and poorly written.

The first 5 or 6 seasons were mainly about survival, about careful scavenging of supplies, etc. Guns and ammo have both been incredibly scarce resources and now they can just fire thousands of rounds in to a building for no apparent reason. They've had several chances to kill Negan and failed for stupid and frustratingly cliched reasons.

Plus there are so many characters now and very few of them are interesting. There is no tension, no suspense and the producers have completely given up showing us their back stories, so many of the newer ones are just there and we don't know anything about them.

I was a big fan of the series for 4 or 5 seasons and now really I'm just watching it out of loyalty, hoping it will find it's way back in to form.

Thrash Bandicoot
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Thrash Bandicoot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:28 am

Just started Season 2 of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. 5 episodes in and it's significantly better than the first one, feels a bit more Douglas Adams as well which is always nice.

Christmas Doctor Who was actually quite entertaining. David Bradley played such a better part than I ever expected given who he was playing. Chris Chibnall is certainly going to have to come up with something brilliant to save the series though, and certainly a step up from the stuff he has written for DW before.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Derry Girls on Channel 4. Fucking class, so it is.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 am

Thrash Bandicoot wrote:Just started Season 2 of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. 5 episodes in and it's significantly better than the first one, feels a bit more Douglas Adams as well which is always nice.

I was ready to chuck it in the bin by Episode 5. It was slow, meandering, and generally unimpressive. However, I persisted and was instantly rewarded. For me anyway, the series really kicked off from Episode 6 and got better and better with each one. Ended up loving it more than the first one.
Then I read it had been cancelled.

Ffs.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Any opinions on the first two Dr Who stories with Jodie Whittaker?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Metalchemyst wrote:Any opinions on the first two Dr Who stories with Jodie Whittaker?

Erm. Erm I'm not feeling it but I'm old ha ha. Time to give Dr who to the youngsters and I'll just watch Netflix instead ha ha.
I see the bad moon arising.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:00 am

Metalchemyst wrote:Any opinions on the first two Dr Who stories with Jodie Whittaker?

Enjoyed them :).

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:20 pm

If anyone is following 'The Last Kingdom' (from the books by Bernard Cornwell who wrote the Sharpe books) then the 3rd series starts on 19th November on Netflix....no sign of it on the 'ordinary' tv. The first 2 series are on Netflix now.