TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby NeglectedField » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Yep, definitely looking forward to that. Fucking hate BBC iPlayer so Netflix is good for me.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 pm

So, GoT is in it's last season. Anyone watched the first ep?

*sits ominously behind every main character*
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Great episode.
This season is going to kick some serious bottom.

kurrupo
Warrior of Metal

Postby kurrupo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Great episode.
This season is going to kick some serious bottom.

I feel like this episode was a nice intro before all the serious stuff happens. Reckon it'll all start kicking off in the episode

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Ep2 was pretty good. It's interesting that they introduced Jenny's song now though.
~ Adam Jenson

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 am

Boring, boring episode. With 5 left I thought something more might start happening.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Well, I think you got your wish with #3.

(Spoilers follow)

(Highlight to read, unless you're using a non-standard theme, in which case stop reading now if you don't want spoiled)
So much fucking plot armour, I swear to god. Still, we have our Azor Ahai. Or do we? Also, the crypts. Who didn't see that coming? Yeah, lets stick all the vulnerables in with the fucking ready-made bone walkers, what could possibly go wrong with that idea?
~ Adam Jenson

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Haven't posted in here for ages so...

Game of Thrones has been excellent so far. First episode was a gentle reintroduction, second the calm before the storm and third FUCK ME SIDEWAYS

Doctor Who - couple of decent episodes towards the end of the season but overall this was probably the worst since the days of Sylvestor McCoy. Whitaker was ok but the stories fell flat.

Alan Partridge - not vintage Partridge by any means but still plenty of laughs.

Fleabag - one of the best things I've seen in a while, black humour with compelling drama

Sex Education - funny, sweet, charming, great characters - a winner

After Life - Gervais at his best, frequently laugh out loud funny but also very heart felt and emotional

Titans - Walks a fine line between awful and genius, a violent take on DC superheroes that's so fast paced and bonkers it works.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon May 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Bit disappointed with this weeks GoT. Everything seems too rushed. Important events aren't built up, they just happen. TBH, it all feels like a badly written teen fanfiction, particularly with the romance shoehorned into it.
~ Adam Jenson

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Tue May 07, 2019 10:54 pm

I mean they do seem to be kind of butchering it this season. Everything seems a bit rushed, and shoehorned in just to keep fans happy - case in point, the sex scene was just for fan service, with no point to the plot. The first two episodes were a bit boring, the third one was mostly just pure nonsense. This fourth episode is better, but still had too many stupid bits that made no sense. I don't like the way they are setting up the finale, and hope they veer away very quickly.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 pm

To be fair it has turned into fan fiction since the source material ran out in season 6. Instead it's all about huge set pieces, rushed plot lines, the return of fast travel except where convenient, characters not acting like themselves and cheap fan service. I'm still watching it of course but it's gone from a decent series of political wangling and intrigue to poor writing.

Also the episodes are only getting longer because of the sheer amount of meandering slow motion used to build "tension"
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

gavdann
Leather Rebel

Postby gavdann » Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 am

I agree that the quality of GoT dipped during s6 when they ran out of the source material and I also agree it feels rushed at times but I also think the new series has got progressively better.

Ep1 was hugely disappointing for me. They could have added the 20 minutes of important character development to ep2 and made that a feature length episode. The rest seemed to consist of characters wandering around Winterfell scowling at one another. As for the Never Ending Storyesque dragon ride for two sequence... Bah!!

Ep2 was very good. For me it struck the right tone. It was a classic on the eve of battle episode.

Ep3 was just incredible for me. There was very little dialogue and I couldn't see what the fuck was going on for the most part but it still felt exhilarating. And it all culminated in that awesome Arya ninja moment. Brilliant!!

Ep4 again was very good. Not so many oo's, ah's and sharp intakes of breath but a good mix of strategic dialogue and ships getting annihilated by those monster arrows. I'm not sure why Daenerys and her dragon couldn't have just torched the whole bleedin' armada though.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Episode 5 was freakin mental, stunningly filmed and amazing to look at.

Was the Dany stuff too much? Probably, but I still loved it.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah, good episode, but again with the plot armour though. The named characters that you knew would die, did. The others got a bit banged up, but they'll live.

Until next time.
~ Adam Jenson

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am

I'll be honest I didn't like Season 7 and didn't think they could do much worse.

I was wrong.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.