TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon
Posts: 7063
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 am

clare-l wrote:it's funny because a page back you called yourself a book purist.


I meant in the sense of transfers to TV/films, rather than in lavishly scouring every detail. I only do that if a series really engages me.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.



Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

User avatar
clare-l
Denim Demon
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:49 pm
Location: berkshire

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:05 am

calling yourself a book purist and then quibbling things that are very evident on the page and not tiny nitpicks that need to be scoured for though is a little bit funny.
Image

User avatar
Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon
Posts: 7063
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 am

clare-l wrote:calling yourself a book purist and then quibbling things that are very evident on the page and not tiny nitpicks that need to be scoured for though is a little bit funny.


Clare, agree to disagree for once. I miss things in those books, you don't. These books are obviously a passion of yours considering you argue dogmatically with every single point anyone makes about them, but there's no need to try and cast me or ish42 as unintelligent because we've missed something you picked up and find obvious - I've said to you before that all people take different things from the same manuscripts, I'm not sure why you find that so difficult to accept.

As I said if you'd read my post properly, I'm a purist about the books I'm interested in - perhaps I should have specified earlier. I could sit here and list hundreds of discrepancies in the LOTR films, I'm already pretty convinced I won't like next year's Hobbit, and I suspect I'd spontaneously combust over the tiny details if anybody ever got filming rights for the Drenai series, the Wheel of Time or the Malazan books.

For me, however, Martin doesn't rank anywhere close to those writers and books and therefore I'll miss things that to most others are obvious from a lack of interest in what I'm reading - and as such I'll comment on them in as they are thrown forwards in the TV series because they appear to be discrepancies to me. I'm sorry if this offends your towering knowledge of the series, but really, tough :P
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.



Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

User avatar
clare-l
Denim Demon
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:49 pm
Location: berkshire

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:10 pm

My point was that you called yourself a purist in reference to something which you then said that you weren't. I found that funny. End of.

I'm not trying to call you unintelligent and never did or would do. I have never claimed to have a "towering knowledge" -- just simply read something a couple of times.

But you can start personal attacks against me if you like!!!
Image

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:31 pm

and this is why i have not made much of an effort to read through the books :lol: that and as littlemissmetal said, martin isnt the best writer around so im more likely to lose interest and miss stuff as well.

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Applecore » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:34 pm

It's shit like this that make me lose interest in ever watching this show :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 pm

watch it without reading the books and you'll love it :P

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Applecore » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Probably. It's just one of those shows that I know I'd probably enjoy, but just can't be bothered to actually make an effort to watch it. Had a few mates offer to lend me the first season once they've re-watched it for the 50th time, so I may check it out eventually.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon
Posts: 7063
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:03 pm

CrappyMike wrote:watch it without reading the books and you'll love it :P


There's something to be said for this actually, Alex enjoys it more than I do and he hasn't read the books.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.



Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

User avatar
Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon
Posts: 7063
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:06 pm

clare-l wrote:My point was that you called yourself a purist in reference to something which you then said that you weren't. I found that funny. End of.

I'm not trying to call you unintelligent and never did or would do. I have never claimed to have a "towering knowledge" -- just simply read something a couple of times.

But you can start personal attacks against me if you like!!!


I apologise if I misunderstood what you meant, but you were coming across quite sarcastically to me in response to ish42's post and then my response, hence me thinking you were being condescending.

And I wasn't intending a personal attack - as I said at the start of the post, much better to agree to disagree and move on.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.



Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

User avatar
Darkweasel
Denim Demon
Posts: 14551
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm

CrappyMike wrote:watch it without reading the books and you'll love it :P

CrappyMike is correct.
Image

User avatar
Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 11935
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Can't get into the story but in HD the scenes and backdrops are stunning to look at.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

User avatar
clare-l
Denim Demon
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:49 pm
Location: berkshire

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:
clare-l wrote:My point was that you called yourself a purist in reference to something which you then said that you weren't. I found that funny. End of.

I'm not trying to call you unintelligent and never did or would do. I have never claimed to have a "towering knowledge" -- just simply read something a couple of times.

But you can start personal attacks against me if you like!!!


I apologise if I misunderstood what you meant, but you were coming across quite sarcastically to me in response to ish42's post and then my response, hence me thinking you were being condescending.

And I wasn't intending a personal attack - as I said at the start of the post, much better to agree to disagree and move on.


i would've understood your response if i had said you were stupid or were picking up something insignificant or both. but i didn't, so i don't. please stop it.

on topic: the borgias premiere was fantastic and micheletto remains my favourite. his little fumble after pushing someone down a well was hilarious.
Image

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

No new cartoons last night.

No new Once Upon a Time either.

Fuck you american tv schedules :(
Image

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Applecore » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:51 pm

On the plus side..
Tonight, new HIMYM.
Tomorrow night, new Cougar Town.
Weds night, new South Park.
Thursday night, new Community and The Office.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock