A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Kami
Leather Rebel

Re: A driving thread

Postby Kami » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 pm

It just seems to be becoming the majority of other drivers at the moment, its ridiculous.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:00 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this recently
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:05 pm

I discovered yesterday that it's actually possible to gain an even lower opinion of Cambridgeshire's driving standards and attitudes.

Driving along the A142 at night, we were a couple of cars into a slow driver queue. We got to a roundabout to discover it was a French driver who was obviously cautious about missing a turning. He pulled off onto the island after a gap emerged to have a BMW 7 series appear from nowhere, hooting and flashing his lights. Beemer continues to tailgate French driver with full beams for a few more roundabouts. French driver finally signals to turn left. He reaches his turning, but Beemer slows to a halt RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, where I nearly plough into the back of him, just so he can shout abuse and toot his horn at this bloke. He then speeds off after I gave a few flash and blasts of my horn at him.

Fair enough, you were surprised at nearly hitting a car, and you made your feelings clear straight away, but you do NOT then proceed to pressure an obviously nervous and shaken driver for serval miles and then put other road users at risk on a cold night on dangerous roads.

I've never been so fucking livid with another driver on the road. I had to stop myself from following him into the equestrian yard car park he pulled into shortly afterwards to have a few choice words with the arrogant, ignorant fuck stain.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Noodle wrote:I discovered yesterday that it's actually possible to gain an even lower opinion of Cambridgeshire's driving standards and attitudes.

I struggle to agree with you on that one. Living "Next door" to Cambridgeshire, I can honestly say nothing would surprise me about the (lack of) driving standards there. Sometimes I would prefer to drive on Maltese roads (definitely the scariest place I have driven) than on the Cambridgeshire fenland roads...(the ones with big drops from the dyke and rivers at the side of them)
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 pm

I had a shaky experience whilst driving in Wales last September.
Was driving down a little country road having problems with the Sat Nav and as there were no cars around and I hadn't seen one for ages I stopped the car so we could figure it out, we were on an open straight just after a slope.
I was glancing at my rear mirror every two seconds, ready to move off if a car appeared and suddenly one comes hurtling down the road at about 60 and breaks to a halt and starts beeping before I've even had a chance to react. I move off straight away and it's literally up my ass the whole way, in the end I got so stressed I pulled into a lay by and endured more beeping, three guys hanging out the window flipping me off and swearing abuse.
Yeah, I shouldn't have stopped in the road, but if you weren't driving like a fucking maniac, you wouldn't have had to break. :rolleyes:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Snowing.
    Wet.
    Dark.
    Cyclists with no lights.

Standard mid January day.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 am

Turbo wrote:
    Snowing.
    Wet.
    Dark.
    Cyclists with no lights.

Cyclists without lights are statistics waiting to happen. My lights are bloody powerful and run off an external battery pack.

I didn't appreciate being cut up on a roundabout by WVM this morning.

It's a toss up whether I drive or ride to work in the morning. Suspect I'll be scraping frost from the car. The temperatures I can deal with, it's going off on ice that worries me.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

New car has just been delivered. Loving the whole new car smell you get.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:05 pm

jackcake wrote:
Turbo wrote:
    Snowing.
    Wet.
    Dark.
    Cyclists with no lights.

Cyclists without lights are statistics waiting to happen. My lights are bloody powerful and run off an external battery pack.

I didn't appreciate being cut up on a roundabout by WVM this morning.

It's a toss up whether I drive or ride to work in the morning. Suspect I'll be scraping frost from the car. The temperatures I can deal with, it's going off on ice that worries me.

Turns out they've started treating the car park I park in at work. No fair. Many a time I had gone into the car park where there were sheets of ice everywhere, cue myself - seen way too many chase scenes in movies and hand brake slide the car. Yeah I prob shouldn't have a licence. :lol: Fun and safe though.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 pm

What you do on private land is of bugger all concern to me. :P
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm

jackcake wrote:What you do on private land is of bugger all concern to me. :P

Thats the police's stance on the matter too. I did something very similar at Bloodstock 2010 when I had my mate in the car and it had just rained in the car park. Came into the car park after going to the Tesco's in Lichfield, full left lock and hand brake. I am pretty sure he shit himself.

flo
Consort of the Beast

Postby flo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Today I pissed off a taxi driver, by acting like a taxi driver and pulling out as he was halfway through a u-turn.
TAKE THAT YOU EXPENSIVE FUCKS. It felt glorious.
Another pet hate I've discovered in manchester is ridiculous for those pedestrians, happy to cross the road not at a crossing, or wait in the middle for you to drive past/wait for a gap.
Group of 5 lads literally strolled out in front of me earlier on, had to do an emergency stop, as did another car. If I wasn't a nurse/didn't mind not driving I'd love to have mown them down :lol:
Leeds Festival: 08, 09, 10, 11
Download: 09, 10, 11, 12
Sonisphere: 09, 10, 11, 14
Bloodstock: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest: 12, 13
Beermageddon: 12, 13, 14
Hellfest: 13
Damnation: 10, 11, 12, 13
Wacken: 14

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Same here in Birmingham. People almost go out of their way to not use designated crossings. Brummies are pretty thick animals at the best of times, so I am pretty sure you can get away with mowing them down. I take the Muslim attitude on this one...it was their time.

flo
Consort of the Beast

Postby flo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 pm

I really had the urge to shout 'this is muslim patrol, step away from the mosque". But I ironically was outside a mosque, and they were more than likely muslims. Wouldn't have gone down a treat.
If no one knows what I'm on about 'Muslim patrol' were some chavvy muslim youths in London enforcing shariah law via vigilante justice. Its bloody hilarious video -
http://youtu.be/zqNYjxImCko
1:36 is when its funny.
Leeds Festival: 08, 09, 10, 11
Download: 09, 10, 11, 12
Sonisphere: 09, 10, 11, 14
Bloodstock: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest: 12, 13
Beermageddon: 12, 13, 14
Hellfest: 13
Damnation: 10, 11, 12, 13
Wacken: 14

Turbo