A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:50 am

I think it's different for everyone, I used to go away for months at a time come home, jump straight in the car and nothing had changed, I have mates however who were the opposite, you just adapt to how your body and mind works :yes:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 am

Noodle wrote:So I'm in Scotland, yeah? We're 15 minutes into leaving and we're descending Cairn o' Mount. *clunk clunk*. Shit, clutch has died. So begins the beginning of a 15 hour journey home, via a kind couple in an Audi Q5, the nearby restaurant back up the road, 2 recovery trucks and a shit 107 courtesy car. My Focus is currently on a transporter up in Carlisle waiting to be driven down later today.

Other than that, Scotland's roads are awesome fun to drive along!

Hope you had national relay on your breakdown cover, cost us £215 just to get from (almost) Banbury back to Nottingham.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 am

Definitely starting to miss driving now. Be top of my agenda once the cash flow starts coming in. Not that I have a designated parking space here because one of the cunts that lives in my flat has two cars, and two spots. Though the current performance of the Polish bellends next door, I think I might just take their spot once their Opel dies a nasty death from all the fragging the bollocks off of it that its driver does. Noticed a nasty oil leak coming from the car in combination with the knowledge that the driver is a bellend, id say the cars death is rather imminent. :yes:

...and its an Opel.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:10 pm

This is a weird trend, because the Polish guy that has the garage next to me has had 3 cars in the 8 months I have been here, nice bloke though, and his lass is stunning, yet always unhappy when I see her :?
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:19 pm

siliconfury wrote:
Noodle wrote:So I'm in Scotland, yeah? We're 15 minutes into leaving and we're descending Cairn o' Mount. *clunk clunk*. Shit, clutch has died. So begins the beginning of a 15 hour journey home, via a kind couple in an Audi Q5, the nearby restaurant back up the road, 2 recovery trucks and a shit 107 courtesy car. My Focus is currently on a transporter up in Carlisle waiting to be driven down later today.

Other than that, Scotland's roads are awesome fun to drive along!

Hope you had national relay on your breakdown cover, cost us £215 just to get from (almost) Banbury back to Nottingham.

Yep, I've got national breakdown cover. 'kin glad I have, too!
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Andy Hall wrote:This is a weird trend, because the Polish guy that has the garage next to me has had 3 cars in the 8 months I have been here, nice bloke though, and his lass is stunning, yet always unhappy when I see her :?

They don't maintain their cars. Just have to see some of the wrecks with PL number plates driving around in the UK to see what I am talking about. Some of them - its a miracle they managed to get them over to the UK in the first place. That said, they're are some wrecks around here, all with D plates on them, though Germans have the cash to replace them when they go wrong.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Turbo wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:This is a weird trend, because the Polish guy that has the garage next to me has had 3 cars in the 8 months I have been here, nice bloke though, and his lass is stunning, yet always unhappy when I see her :?

They don't maintain their cars. Just have to see some of the wrecks with PL number plates driving around in the UK to see what I am talking about. Some of them - its a miracle they managed to get them over to the UK in the first place. That said, they're are some wrecks around here, all with D plates on them, though Germans have the cash to replace them when they go wrong.

Pfft, you aint seen wrecks until you've seen a 1980s Ford Taurus driving about with its front bumper missing and the screenwash bottle hanging off the front with a couple of bungee ropes. :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 pm

I've seen Pimp My Ride, I just look at what they do to those cars, the go well if this was the UK the guy couldn't afford to drive it due to insurance, pisses you off really :(

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I've seen Pimp My Ride, I just look at what they do to those cars, the go well if this was the UK the guy couldn't afford to drive it due to insurance, pisses you off really :(

It already happened... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ri ... My_Ride_UK

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Tim Westwood. What a cunt.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 pm

siliconfury wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:I've seen Pimp My Ride, I just look at what they do to those cars, the go well if this was the UK the guy couldn't afford to drive it due to insurance, pisses you off really :(

It already happened... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ri ... My_Ride_UK

Yeah but because of insurance etc, they basically just made them look better, you see them with entertainment systems, £3000 stereo systems, custom trim etc in the US, just couldn't happen here to that level unless the guy was rich and could afford to insure it :(

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Turbo wrote:Tim Westwood. What a cunt.

Ice T actually asked him if he was taking the piss out of him in an interview once :lol:

Thunarr
Powermetal Child

Postby Thunarr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:28 am

Passed my test second time way back in 1991. Yes, I am that old! Currently driving a 2010 Kia Cee'd Sportwagon (OK... estate!). It's a diesel automatic. I did swear I'd never drive an automatic, but I fell in love with the rest of the car so I felt I could cope with the gearbox. The size is very useful when transporting a toddler and all the gear he needs. I can't say it wasn't useful at Bloodstock this year, either. The automatic gearbox does make driving easier, I will admit that, and the comfort and size of the rest of the car offsets the little niggles about responsiveness.

Thing is, I work at Kahn Design... so I'm surrounded by luxury cars, which make mine look somewhat meagre... that said, the one I'm most tempted by is the Kahn version of the Land Rover Defender, which is actually pretty damned near affordable.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Have we met before? Are you sure?" Tom G Warrior to ME!!
The Wyrd Ways Rock Show
http://www.wyrdwaysrs.com
It's like... how much more Metal can it be?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:58 am

Thunarr wrote:Passed my test second time way back in 1991. Yes, I am that old! Currently driving a 2010 Kia Cee'd Sportwagon (OK... estate!). It's a diesel automatic. I did swear I'd never drive an automatic, but I fell in love with the rest of the car so I felt I could cope with the gearbox. The size is very useful when transporting a toddler and all the gear he needs. I can't say it wasn't useful at Bloodstock this year, either. The automatic gearbox does make driving easier, I will admit that, and the comfort and size of the rest of the car offsets the little niggles about responsiveness.

Thing is, I work at Kahn Design... so I'm surrounded by luxury cars, which make mine look somewhat meagre... that said, the one I'm most tempted by is the Kahn version of the Land Rover Defender, which is actually pretty damned near affordable.

How much does the indicators being on the other side of the steering wheel piss you off? I had a Sorento to come over to Germany with, excluding the indicators, was such a fun car to drive.

I am more or less set in my ways atm, I want my next car to be an Audi A3/4 or a Seat Leon, preferably in red and black respectively.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Turbo wrote:How much does the indicators being on the other side of the steering wheel piss you off? I had a Sorento to come over to Germany with, excluding the indicators, was such a fun car to drive.

I drove a pickup in Thailand that was like that. Good used to it fairly quickly, bit adjusting back the other way was a pain in the arse.