A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby someone else » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 pm

siliconfury wrote:Good ol' Headingley.

Yup - I lived on Ash Road. Got to my car one morning and it had footprints over the roof where someone had walked over it.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Highbury Terrace here, just off Monk Bridge Road. Same sorta area I guess. Loads of students.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 pm

It would be hard for me to say whether or not I enjoy driving or not. So many points to driving I love, so many that I hate.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:42 pm

I agree torikul91, that's why I think the Saudi system of MOTing a car is so much better than the UK MOT.

With regards to that, I spent most of my birthday down at the Saudi equivalent of the MOT test centre yesterday which I can only really describe as a fast, easy and efficient system where you have several lanes of cars all rolling through this big shed moving from test to test and at the end you get a slip saying what you have failed on. If you failed, there is a row of garages right outside that will fix whatever it is that needs doing. True to form, the locals and jinglies have absolutely no understanding of the concept of a queue but a loose collection of lines do form in between all of the chaos of cars, trucks and god knows what else zipping around in every direction. Only cost me about 13 quid for the first test and about £4.50 for the retest.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Looks like I'll be giving my wife some tips and basic lessons as she's
gonna apply for her provisional license.

Eventually she can drive me around!!!!
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 pm

V-Man wrote:Yeah I do feel for you if you're having to fund the whole thing yourself because a very large proportion of teenage drivers these days (myself included) were spoilt by their parents and had it all paid for that said I think it's still a worthy investment if you have a source of income i.e a job. If you don't have one or work shit hours though you can kiss the whole thing goodbye because magically spawning enough money for lessons, tests, an actual car or insurance isn't going to happen until you're a bit older.

This is my response to those telling me to stop making excuses and "just do it."
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Ah man, 2 days on the trott I have been forced to overtake some idiot. This one was a Ford Ka reversing out of a drive way and generally being slow as fuck doing it, so I whipped around them. Pretty sure a little poo came out of the other drivers bumhole when I raced around them at 50. :lol:

Kaahl
Consort of the Beast

Postby Kaahl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

I thought overtaking idiots was just an everyday thing anyway?
My front driver-side brake seemed like it was hanging on today, squealing like a pig and the wheel ended up super-hot by the time I got home from work. Decided to take the wheel off and have a look after it'd cooled down, seemed to be moving quite freely, which was annoying, with no visible obstructions. I gave it a good tap with the wheel brace and something fell out and it started moving freer. No more squealing. Pleased.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 pm

PhilMow wrote:Looks like I'll be giving my wife some tips and basic lessons as she's

!!

Sounds like a perfect recipe for a marital argument!
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Czech's Mate wrote:
PhilMow wrote:Looks like I'll be giving my wife some tips and basic lessons as she's

!!

Sounds like a perfect recipe for a marital argument!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a firm believer in that you do need an instructor as well because most people are shit drivers and we don't want shit drivers as teachers. Instructors too can be shit as well though.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm

But atleast instructors are reassessed every couple of years (or even more regularly if they only just pass their instructor tests) so you know they're atleast a certain standard or they won't be allowed to teach anymore.
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Not necessarily shit drivers but do pick up some fucking shocking habits. I have already said to the missus I wont be teaching her. Id like her to learn a decent way, not the Solihull - I hate everyone way.

...but alot of people are under the illusion that when they pass their test - that makes them drivers. I don't agree, the test is a declaration that you can fulfil the basic mechanics of driving but that is about it.

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 pm

completely agree - your average driving test passer is effectively lvl1 at driving, instructors are a minimum of lvl4 (up to lvl6 iirc) - passing your test is the very beginning and just means you're safe on the road as that's the primary thing the examiner is looking for.

it's something instructors need to reinforce more when their students pass, "you're not a good driver because you can pass a driving test", but ofcourse people are too jubilant when they pass and take no notice
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 pm

I agree with that. I passed over a year ago and I still don't feel like I can drive properly. I can control the car fine but the thought of going to any inner city areas is terrifying because i've never done it. Plus the longer I leave it, the scarier it gets :|

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:22 am

TheLotusEater193 wrote:I agree with that. I passed over a year ago and I still don't feel like I can drive properly. I can control the car fine but the thought of going to any inner city areas is terrifying because i've never done it. Plus the longer I leave it, the scarier it gets :|

I've been driving in various parts of the world for the last 7 years and the thought of going into any inner city areas is terrifying to me too because the road systems are generally utter wank and it's full of arsehole locals who know their way around that have no patience if you who the slightest hesitation when trying to navigate Your way around.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.