A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
sugarmouse
Warrior of Metal

A driving thread

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 pm

This can be a general driving thread, as in what do you drive, when did you pass, how many attempts, if you don't drive and don't want to, why not or if you're going to learn, how's it going?

BUT!For now, this is my 'I need help' post!

I have a very old (24 years) van. Quite a large one.
It does not have power steering.
I have not driven it for a number of years, only other people have however now, I am going to be the sole driver of it for the foreseeable future.
I am not very happy to admit this but, I am scared of getting in this bloody thing, and driving it. I am strong for my size, but I am only a shortarse female. And I don't want to face taking it for a drive, I will have to take it out for at least half an hour or so, to get the battery lively again.

I'm scared of having an accident!I'm used to my little focus!
Any tips? If not-please continue the thread if you want to!
Thanks!
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

knottyolly
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: A driving thread

Postby knottyolly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:32 pm

I passed 2 years ago when I was 18, first attempt for both theory and practical. However, I don't drive because you need money or some shit apparently.

Prometherion91 reincarnated!

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 pm

^ no tips really except for go slowly and don't take it out during rush hour round busy roads :yes: The more you drive it the better your confidence will be though so I'd just get on it straight away!

I passed my test err, March last year, 5th time. I had awful instructors and bad nerves during my tests and lost my confidence a lot so it took me three years or so to get it.

I drive a Honda Jazz, it's my Dad's though and I'm looking forward to buying my own car when I can afford it :)

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 am

sugarmouse wrote:I'm scared of having an accident!I'm used to my little focus!
Any tips? If not-please continue the thread if you want to!
Thanks!

Go out after 9pm, down the M55 to Kirkham then head back to Prestonia from Kirkham via Blackpool Road. Nice wide roads, not much traffic at that time of night at all, a few roundabouts to get used to the steering and it's pretty much pressure free. If you don't actually go into Kirkham itself and just skirt around the side via the roundabouts (turn right at the first roundabout once off the motorway roundabout and keep going straight through all the other roundabouts, you'll see the biscuit factory on your left and a sign for Ribby Hall heading off to your right, just keep going straight on back to Preston) its a simple drive. Plenty there to get you used to driving it again at speed and with the cornering.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:44 am

Driving a van is definitely a different beast to a little town car.

Allow more space on the [edit: near side] as you'll be closer to the kerb than you think and the brakes will be less effective so give yourself an extra 50 feet stopping distance. Take more care turning at junctions and go a little bit wider because you've got a lot more vehicle behind you.

You'll have two big blind spots down your sides so lean forward to check the mirrors when turning or changing lanes.

On the plus side you can see a lot more from the higher driving position and you're less likely to be tailgated.

There's no need to 'get there yesterday'. Take your time and build up your confidence. Really, it's just a big car and we can drive anything up to a Luton van on the standard cat B licence.

I passed my test first time seven years ago. I've been driving regularly for six years, since buying my car. I've had my little 1.2L Corsa all that time and no plans to change it any time soon and also occasionally drive a dirty great Sprinter van for work.
Last edited by jackcake on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:14 am

As angry as a driver as Steve is, I agree with all of the above. (Been driving 10 years, passed first time, no claims).
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 am

Steve's given you solid advice there.

I passed first time and will have been driving for four years at Christmas. No accidents, no claims etc.

Take your time and a good idea is to drive it around quiet areas to get used to it before you tackle inner city or anything like that.

A good tip my old instructor gave is to find an overflow car park (a lot of large supermarkets will have them) go down first thing in the morning before it gets busy and practise figure of eights and things until you get used to the steering and how much space you need to complete a turn.

As with all things, it just takes time and practise! :)
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 am

A good place to start would be on the M6 at 6pm on a Friday around junction 6, you'll be able to make constant eye contact with other van drivers until their experience seeps into you and you won't have to worry about crashing because you won't actually go anywhere.

Hurrr.

No but srsly good on you for asking for assistance and not just jumping straight in and destroying yourself against a tree or a crash barrier or another vehicle or something. Most people wouldn't bother asking. And beware of horse boxes when changing lanes. And follow the lorries. Always follow the lorries.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:36 am

I can't really give you any advice, but I approve of this thread.

I have a 1.6 twin spark alfa romeo 147 lusso.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 am

I have nothing to contribute.

I have a small willy.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:10 am

Cant give any tips, I'd hate to drive a van or a large car. But, passed my test first time last year and got a limited edition Kiss Peugeot 107.
Had one crash, but that was with my driving instructor, who grabbed my steering wheel and pulled the car into a keep left sign when I accidentally missed an exit on a roundabout. Loser. However, all repair costs were carried out by my last employer (car place).

Imperanonn
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Imperanonn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Passed theory first time but I failed my practical. Next test is in 2 weeks and I'm shitting it. :lol: Must've done like 35 hours with an instructor as well.
peypea wrote:I'm still angry that Middle Earth isn't real.

Last.fm Facebook
Add me on XBL: Winterfylleth

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Bought a provisional license, still yet to use it. The idea of getting on the roads scares me.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Been driving for 20 years (14 legally), as I grew up around farms & always drove a lot of vehicles around on private land. Once you learn to drive across wet fields, nothing else ever really phases you.

Over the years I've mostly had estate cars, for lugging around band gear & people to gigs etc, but I've driven pretty much everything from small hatchbacks, vans, tractors, folklifts, even removal vans & small lorries. Even drove a bus many years ago for a stint down the motorway.

I always had a sense of self preservation & often have passengers with me on long journeys, so my first thought is for my own safety & that there are plenty of drivers on the road who could quite happily wipe me out because they are distracting themselves with a whole array of stupid activities.

Good advice has been given about driving larger vehicles, but the same rules apply across the board. The best advice I can give is once you are confident in your own abilities & you have practiced, it becomes easier. After a while, most of what you do becomes automatic & you begin to have more time to look out for all the other things that could result in accidents & your reactions to these things increase greatly.

At the end of the day, you can only govern what you do behind the wheel of your vehicle & there is always room for improvement so you have to look at it like a never ending learning experience....but try to enjoy it.

P.S. Try to avoid music, that might excite you, on the stereo before your ready for the unavoidable reaction it causes. My first speeding ticket, was due to Pantera. :eyes:

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 pm

I've had to drive a few vans for gigs and house moves, but there's not a lot more I could add to whats been said. Just please don't turn into a white van man :lol: Don't also lull yourself into a false sense of security that you can stop in time for any traffic as the cabin is higher and had a further view compared to a car as you can't predict what maniacs on the road will do. Just because you can see further ahead than a car, doesn't mean you can stop quicker or easier.

Passed my test first time 8 years ago. Have gone through a few cars due to my high mileage. Recently bought an Audi A6 2.7 TDI Avant.