A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby Tet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 am

So yeah. I've been doing some driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-_D311FSw&t=7m12s
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Tet wrote:So yeah. I've been doing some driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-_D311FSw&t=7m12s

Ha, awesome! I will always think cars are lame next to motorbikes but that's still mildly impressive :P

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah I sort of agree. I do want to apply for a motorcycle licence. I like the safety about cars, but I have always wanted to congregate down in Stratford on a Sunday on a sunny day, stop the night, have a few pints etc. Total wankers drive motorcycles so I am right at home with this.

Also due to the nature of my driving habits, blind spots on the French side of the road are no more. That is pretty good.

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Danroush wrote:Sorted learner's insurance, gonna drive again today for the first time in a year and a half (was roughly ready to take the test at the time), any tips?

Driving is like riding a bike - you never forget how to do it. I recently rented a car and drove for the first time in seven years. Everything came back in an instant.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:30 am

onona wrote:
Danroush wrote:Sorted learner's insurance, gonna drive again today for the first time in a year and a half (was roughly ready to take the test at the time), any tips?

Driving is like riding a bike - you never forget how to do it.

Total bollocks post - nothing in riding a bike (balance and behaving like a cunt summarises cyclist life fully). You'll be out of practice like fuck. There have been odd weeks where I haven't sat in the car for a week (going to Germany for example when I have flown) and have been rusty as hell getting back into driving, and this is when I have held a licence. Take it slow, take on board what the instructor is telling you and you'll pass in no time. Always push the instructor when it will be the sort of time you should put in for your test because they do tend to like your easy money by giving you lesson after lesson at whatever the going rate is now. Plague them you want to pass as fast as you can, spend as little money as possible.

...and I cannot stress enough, even when you've passed your test you'll never stop learning. I have been driving for 8 years and my dad will agree after 40+ years of driving, you never stop learning. I still am caught out by some of the moronic ways people tend to drive. Just read my previous comments in this exact thread. Just when you think you've covered all the stupidity, someone somewhere does something more stupid than that.

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 am

Turbo wrote:Total bollocks post - nothing in riding a bike (balance and behaving like a cunt summarises cyclist life fully). You'll be out of practice like fuck. There have been odd weeks where I haven't sat in the car for a week (going to Germany for example when I have flown) and have been rusty as hell getting back into driving, and this is when I have held a licence.

Strange how you quoted just the beginning part of my post so you could call it bollocks, while ignoring the rest of it. Like I said, I wasn't even remotely rusty after seven years of not having driven. If you're rusty after just one week, maybe you're just not a very good driver.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am

onona wrote:Like I said, I wasn't even remotely rusty after seven years of not having driven. If you're rusty after just one week, maybe you're just not a very good driver.

Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:09 am

onona wrote:Like I said, I wasn't even remotely rusty after seven years of not having driven.

Either that or you were terrible to begin with and nothing's changed :P
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 am

onona wrote: Strange how you quoted just the beginning part of my post so you could call it bollocks, while ignoring the rest of it. Like I said, I wasn't even remotely rusty after seven years of not having driven. If you're rusty after just one week, maybe you're just not a very good driver.

Haha what a tit. You should be taken off the roads before you kill someone innocent.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:29 am

I think you're all being a little unfair :P

I lived in London for about 5 months and didn't drive the whole time. When I came back my driving was no different...

Without being harsh to Andy I don't see how you could become rusty in weeks.

Then again this was in response to Dan as a learner, it's probably different as he won't have driven anywhere near as much as someone who would have passed their test.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 pm

onona wrote: If you're rusty after just one week, maybe you're just - a very good driver.

You could be right. Oh was there more of your post? I didn't read that bit.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks guys, sorry for the slow reply, I don't use this thread much so forgot i posted here, although Turbo, I'm just using my dad's car with learner's insurance atm, but will still do a few hours with an instructor before going for a test, that said I still need to find out a bit about how to book for a test without having an instructor, as basically the plan was/is:

1) 2 weeks learner's insurance driving with my dad now to get back into the swing of it

2) Busy afterwards till bloodstock so can't do much really

3) A bit more learner's insurance driving after bloodstock then book test (as you have to wait about 5 weeks IIRC)?

4) Then in that 5 weeks have some hours with an instructor to iron out any bad habits and check with them about which kind of things to focus on for the test, along with some driving of my dad's car to prepare for the test

Note: I stopped driving at a time where I was already very close to booking my test
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Danroush wrote:I still need to find out a bit about how to book for a test without having an instructor

I can answer this! It's exactly the same as booking with an instructor. You have to book the test either way, by phoning or going on the website. The only difference is that you leave the instructor number blank. So long as you're insured to drive it all is good.

3) A bit more learner's insurance driving after bloodstock then book test (as you have to wait about 5 weeks IIRC)?

The wait depends on how busy the test centre is. Some are busier than others, you may get offered different dates and times depending on which one you pick.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 am

So I'm in Scotland, yeah? We're 15 minutes into leaving and we're descending Cairn o' Mount. *clunk clunk*. Shit, clutch has died. So begins the beginning of a 15 hour journey home, via a kind couple in an Audi Q5, the nearby restaurant back up the road, 2 recovery trucks and a shit 107 courtesy car. My Focus is currently on a transporter up in Carlisle waiting to be driven down later today.

Other than that, Scotland's roads are awesome fun to drive along!
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.