A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: A driving thread

Postby kanet666 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:24 am

TwistedSmithster wrote:I'm 18 and my practical is tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Good luck!

I have a provisional but am yet to take lessons. I can't afford to run a car and can't see a point in the foreseeable future where I'll be able to, so I didn't see much point.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 am

kanet666 wrote:I have a provisional but am yet to take lessons. I can't afford to run a car and can't see a point in the foreseeable future where I'll be able to, so I didn't see much point.

It's a handy skill to have and can increase your employment prospects.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 am

Azubi wrote:
kanet666 wrote:I have a provisional but am yet to take lessons. I can't afford to run a car and can't see a point in the foreseeable future where I'll be able to, so I didn't see much point.

This.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Azubi wrote:

Pretty much this, and you become so much more independant when you are mobile, you don't have to rely on anyone, or public transport, you come and go as you please, and go where you want when you want, I can't believe I left it so late personally

i_am_a_viking
Paster of Muppets

Postby i_am_a_viking » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:51 pm

My brother is 10 years and 11 months older than me and we had this bet when I was younger that I'd probably pass before him because he's lazy. Had my first lesson the weekend after my 17th birthday and the dick then decided to have secret ones (with the same instructor!) behind my back just so I wouldn't win the bet :(

Took me 3 go's to pass because the 1st 2 times I was ridiculously nervous but my brother ended up passing before me. Dick. Passed 3 days before my 18th birthday and will have been driving for 5 years this September. Had 2 cars now as my Rover 25 was like a bloody tank and the parts were expensive to replace so got a Ford Ka for that reason and its poypul :B
We raise our wooden pints and we yoik and sing and we fight and dance til the morning!

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I passed about two months ago at the age of 26 - driving up to BOA was the first real long distance stuff I've done on my own. It was my second test, however they were about 7 years apart due to university and pure lazyness getting in the way. My little Yaris Verso may be the least metal car ever, but the amount of stuff it can carry makes it almost a van, with windows. I also discovered on the way back from BOA that it *really* does not like going above 95. Sadly, I can't really add anything to the van driving, apart from wishing you luck with it!

malicious_bloke
Consort of the Beast

Postby malicious_bloke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 pm

thehairyone wrote:My little Yaris Verso may be the least metal car ever

lol. Once you've seen 5 beardy metalists climbing out of a green daewoo matiz (complete with pink flower decals up the side and back), there's no going back.

A mate of mine had just passed his test and drove us all up to Bristol in his mum's car to see Yob. We looked so very, very metal getting out of that thing 8)
There's no 'I' in snuffly

karastorm
Warrior of Metal

Postby karastorm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 pm

I've been driving for some where near 2ish years now no claims and past everything First time around. So I'd of passed around my 24th had a fair amount of lessons due to nerves/self confidence, but Now I love my own sense of freedom.

I'm onto my second car as the first I owned was a Citroen AX that thing was on it's last legs when i traded it up for a Seat Ibiza both I've found can be run on next to no petrol, Happy blumming days!.

something I miss though and it's going to sound strange , I miss the manual Steering. Power steering is all well and good but I miss having to Fight my car around a bend and feeling like She-ra after even a small drive.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 pm

karastorm wrote:something I miss though and it's going to sound strange , I miss the manual Steering. Power steering is all well and good but I miss having to Fight my car around a bend and feeling like She-ra after even a small drive.

You're insane! I don't know how people coped without power steering. I drove a car without it in Germany and nearly killed us all on an ausfahrt.

Got home from work today and in the side street where I park the car was a space big enough for two and a half cars. I passed it in order to turn round to face the right way and when I got back to it, some berk had dumped his car bang in the middle of it. Thanks to power steering and generally being an awesome driver I can usually put my car on a sixpence. Today was no exception, with the added pressure of having a car behind waiting to pass, steamed-up windows and rain-obscured mirrors.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 am

My car has power steering and a magic pants button that gives it extra power steering 8) Kind of quality you get with an Italian sports car.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Kaahl
Consort of the Beast

Postby Kaahl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:22 am

My dad used to drive a bus without power steering for 8 hours a day. I now understand why his arms are the size of my thighs.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 am

siliconfury wrote:
Azubi wrote:

This.

There's just the hundreds of pounds of lessons/learner's insurance and £100 test first, and of course if you make one bad mistake in your test than there goes another £100
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:10 am

Danroush wrote:There's just the hundreds of pounds of lessons/learner's insurance and £100 test first, and of course if you make one bad mistake in your test than there goes another £100

Think of it as an investment, just like University.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:20 am

Azubi wrote:
Danroush wrote:There's just the hundreds of pounds of lessons/learner's insurance and £100 test first, and of course if you make one bad mistake in your test than there goes another £100

Think of it as an investment, just like University.

Uni costs I don't even start to pay back until minimum about 5 years time, car costs I have to pay upfront, and I literally have no money to do so, my dad paid for some lessons and now I'm at the stage where I could just about take the test with maybe a week or two practice in a car again (it's been 8 months since I drove so it'd make sense to have a little practice again), but having £100 upfront like that is easier said than done.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:33 am

I've been driving for just over a year now, I passed my test 2nd time round just after I turned 18.

I think at some point i'm going to get pass plus lessons as I live right in the middle of the countryside and the roads are completely different to inner city roads, but I never have any way of practising in a big city because they're all ages away.