A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Nantha
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby Nantha » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:17 pm

I was gonna make a joke about your new car looking like a classic Dad car, Noodle and then i remembered you are a dad! :lol: (the technical shit washes over me)

After not driving my car for 1.5 months I stepped in it today to see if things were still running for my commute tomorrow morning. Battery was dead AF. Don't really know anyone in the area and actively dislike neighbours so in the end cycled down to Halfords and picked up a portable jump start kit.
It's a pretty nifty little thing, I was just gonna take it back to the shop next week and save myself the £40 but I figured it could come in handy again

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Picked up my first speeding conviction around Scotch Corner. Hoping for one of those speed awareness courses. Ill take my headphones and tablet I have a feeling I am going to get bored.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Turbo wrote:Picked up my first speeding conviction around Scotch Corner. Hoping for one of those speed awareness courses. Ill take my headphones and tablet I have a feeling I am going to get bored.

Average speed camera?
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Im not convinced there is such a thing operational. Seems like a costly system to install and properly calibrate. So yeah it says they're average speed cameras in contraflow, but they do everything on a budget hense the 11 miles of it rather than the 1 mile of it they're working on. Up until I got done by this camera I wasn't convinced they worked at all. Myth busted eh? Im just happy I only got caught doing 58 in a 50.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:04 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Interesting article on how few of the classic cars that I remember are left on the road. Most of these were everywhere a few years ago.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusias ... spartanntp

There's a Sierra just a few metres from where I live.

I also know someone who owns and drives one of those few remaining Seat Marbellas. Denim upholstery! She's seriously considering selling it since it's becoming difficult to actually maintain.

Anyway, more money pit... Er, Subaru news! Picked up another puncture. So, that's 4 new tyres I've bought for it.

Steering wheel wobble diagnosed as sticky front brake calliper. Only shows itself after braking lots.
Worn drop link arm explains the knocking whilst turning at low speeds. Common problem for Subarus going by google searches, and relatively frequent.

Managed 26mpg average last week. Starting to resist the urge to just floor it from tailgaters. Saying that, I had one chap in a Golf try to overtake me coming out of a 30 zone into a derestricted stretch. That feeling as I accelerated just hard enough to keep him behind easily out-smugged every Range Rover driver's standard Smug levels. He hung quite far back after that as he followed me to the main road. That is one reason out of many that I smegging love that Coin Hoover.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:12 pm

Noodle wrote:Anyway, more money pit... Er, Subaru news!

Subaru? That's a funny way of spelling Land Rover! Anyway, the new one broke down last week (fortunately after I'd dropped off the race car and trailer at their new home). It just cut out on the M40 and refused to start. It looks like it might just be a faulty fuel pump. Which is considerably less painful than some of the other alternatives.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Now I don't really like the 1 series. I have driven the 116, which was so under powered and the 120 which is half ok. Came down the M1 this afternoon to see an M135. What the fuck please give me one of these just briefly. I have had a 335 and thought that was a big engine for a tiny car but essentially a Golf with a if I am right in thinking a 3.5litre. How? Why?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:47 pm

M135i is a fucking beast of a car - 3 litre turbocharged engine putting out up to 350bhp.

Small, tight chassis too. With the right rubbers on it's a fucking immense car. BTCC team WSR use the M125i due to series restrictions (2litre turbocharged, same bhp output though).

EDIT: Looks like the 125i M sport factory engine is still 3 Litre, just an earlier generation - BTCC restrict to 2litre so custom engines are built or leased.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 am

I hope I get one. I can't believe im saying this but I am excited about a BMW. I used to be cool.

Comes off the back of really liking the Citroen DS3. Its official, I know fuck all about cars/driving.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 pm

BMWs are great cars. Comfiest car I've ever driven was the E46 316i I used to own. If I didn't care about performance or handling that would come close to the best car I've owned so far.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:24 pm

My tiny little Lupo passed its MOT and has been insured for another year, with the insurance costing 2/3rds what it did last year. For a small 1 litre car she's so much fun to drive.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:07 am

My old now-recycled Fiesta was a 1.1l, and could be a hoot around some corners.

News of the Octavia: Sold. Gone to the boyfriend of my cousin's daughter. It turns out the reason for what we thought was a tracking issue, as well as 'exciting' handling and a tendency to become relatively unstable when running through a puddle, wasn't the tracking at all, which was supposedly near perfect. No, the reason was two fucked wishbones. That was... unsettling to hear.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Hahaha fuck that 135. Now I am in a Mercedes A45. Stuttgart you crazy cunts. Restricted to 155.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Turbo wrote:Hahaha fuck that 135. Now I am in a Mercedes A45. Stuttgart you crazy cunts. Restricted to 155.

AMG or GTFO

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Goes without saying! Its a true beast.