A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby Turbo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 am

So I got one finally. The Jaguar XK, a 5 litre beast, and oh my god. Stick your Porsches up your arse, I have never had a car that has despite me covering 40000 miles a year made me feel like a learner driver. You have the power but the skill is not using them particularly in rain where I picked it up otherwise id spin. Dried out around Coventry and I pounced on Audis and BMWs. That growl of the engine is akin to what I would imagine if you kicked the cat Jaguar. Now I don't wish to drive again, I have already had the best, and the best is British.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue May 10, 2016 1:33 am

Tonight I watched a young Asian lad spin his Megane on the Nuthall roundabout. Must have been doing 40mph in the wet and lost control on a surface that has a mirror sheen in the rain. Luckily there was no traffic immediately around him to career into during his 180 adventure. I bet it shit him and his passenger up, but he probably won't learn from his experience...
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 pm

End of an era! After owning the GT86 for two years, I've put down a deposit today on a new Nissan Qashqai (Tekna, 1.5L diesel)!

Hello £0 annual tax and real world 60mpg! (it claims 75mpg) And heated leather seats, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, DAB, all round parking cameras, elevated driving position, and so many other toys. Oh, and stupid amounts of practicality which will come in handy for camping trips this summer.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun May 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Who are you and what happened to Jim?
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun May 22, 2016 9:13 pm

Getting my fast car jollies out on track with the MX5s now, innit? Need to make some savings to afford that (plus, this new car is comfy and economic as fuck) - plus need the practicality for camping and shizz.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 am

Congratulations Jim and Fjar, is it too early to ask if its a boy or a girl?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon May 23, 2016 11:57 am

Turbo wrote:Congratulations Jim and Fjar, is it too early to ask if its a boy or a girl?

Knew I should've added the "no we're NOT having a baby" disclaimer to that. :lol:

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon May 23, 2016 4:38 pm

And just to dispel another stereotype - no, it wasn't me who decided to make Jim get rid of the sports car. :P
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Fucking loving the new car.

After owning what is pretty much the ultimate drivers car for two years, it's nice to just sit back and enjoy being taken to places with a near silent engine, really good high up visibility, and a tonne of funky new toys in the cabin.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat May 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Jim wrote:Fucking loving the new car.

After owning what is pretty much the ultimate drivers car for two years, it's nice to just sit back and enjoy being taken to places with a near silent engine, really good high up visibility, and a tonne of funky new toys in the cabin.

Its the only good point to my job mate. I am pleasantly surprised by some cars, and brutally disappointed by others. I generally take alot of pleasure driving all sorts of stuff. I never saw myself liking any French car, but there you go DS3 just spoils everything doesn't it. Really fun little car. Qashqai is much better than the Juke. I swear if you'd have said that you were getting that car I would have got your number from somewhere, an interpreter ;) and tried to talk you out of it. Not a good car at all.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat May 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Turbo wrote:
Jim wrote:Fucking loving the new car.

Its the only good point to my job mate. I am pleasantly surprised by some cars, and brutally disappointed by others. I generally take alot of pleasure driving all sorts of stuff. I never saw myself liking any French car, but there you go DS3 just spoils everything doesn't it. Really fun little car. Qashqai is much better than the Juke. I swear if you'd have said that you were getting that car I would have got your number from somewhere, an interpreter ;) and tried to talk you out of it. Not a good car at all.

Haha, the thing with the Qashqai though is that the comfort and ride can vary with what options you have - specifically which engine and which wheel combination you get.

The 1.5L diesel engine is the most refined (the 1.6 is noisy in the cabin), and the 17" alloys are the smoothest - though I've got 19" as they're standard on the trim I've got (Tekna).

It's down on power hell of a lot since the last car, but I honestly don't mind - since yesterday I've got 55mpg according to the car computer, and even if that's 5mpg out it's way better than the 31 or so I got on the last car. I was lucky if I got 300 miles out of a tank of fuel but now I can easily get over 700 over a couple of long trips.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah don't get me wrong there are plenty of cars I have enjoyed but owning is a different argument. My next car is almost certainly a Golf. I love them and I know all of the negative points to them. Their cabins are quite shit, and yeah they're no good for you for camping gear or anything but for a single chappy knocking around the Golf does all the things I value better than any car does. Noodle is going to chime in with performance education and education (wut) yea but I have recently got done for speeding so its not top of my agenda, plus I can speed in any car. I can speed in a Fiat 500....eventually. Plus the spec I want the Golf in is no slouch. GTD will cain alot of cars.

I have driven alot of cars that are restricted to 155, but when am I ever going to need that? The XK I had, up until the roads dried out in the Midlands I had to drive very VERY carefully. I think North Yorkshire Police would have given me a blowy by the way I was driving. Give too much I spin it in the wet. I wouldn't want a car like that. But as soon as its dry, born in my homeland, that Jaguar, what a fucking machine.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:04 am

I have been summoned to comment on performance? *panics* I got 28.6mpg average on my last run. (Quick, better even it out with something radical and dangerous) I briefly glanced at the 130mph number whilst at the lights the other day.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Too fast for me unless on a closed road or track. I am never that much in a rush, and the speeding I may or may not have done has only been for one reason. To get somewhere. I know what the car will do 9 times out of 10 I don't need to check.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Yes, when I looked at the 130 number whilst waiting for the lights to change I thought to myself that 50 is a much more sensible and docile number.