A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby Tet » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Turbo wrote:How much does the indicators being on the other side of the steering wheel piss you off?

You get used to it remarkably quickly. For a while, I had two vehicles, one of each type. But even then, you get accustomed to the indicators being on a given side in each vehicle. It's not a problem.

(Although for the record, if they're anywhere but on the left, they're wrong!)
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Why are they wrong on the left? D:

I never understand how people are able to drive cars with the driver's seat on the left after driving a car with it on the right. That would be so damn confusing for me.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:33 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:Why are they wrong on the left? D:

I never understand how people are able to drive cars with the driver's seat on the left after driving a car with it on the right. That would be so damn confusing for me.

He said anywhere BUT the left is wrong ;)

And driving left hand drive, you pick it up REALLY quick, especially things like negotiation roundabouts anti-clockwise. The only thing I did weird for the first hour or so was I kept hitting the door with my left hand when I went to change gear :P
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Tet wrote:
Turbo wrote:How much does the indicators being on the other side of the steering wheel piss you off?

You get used to it remarkably quickly. For a while, I had two vehicles, one of each type. But even then, you get accustomed to the indicators being on a given side in each vehicle. It's not a problem.

(Although for the record, if they're anywhere but on the left, they're wrong!)

Aye I picked it up reasonably quick because the car I drove was an auto, which gave me more time to concentrate on the bloody indicators.

As for left hand drive cars, when you've done some miles in Europe with a righty, you realise that having a left hand drive car for right hand traffic is so much easier. Particularly in Germany you have to look and look again when overtaking on motorways because cars that are very distant in the rear mirror will be down on you in no time - there are alot of drivers here that are most willing to take the piss out of the no speed limits on motorway rule.

Still can't get over the fact that I was overtaken by a motorcycle in Belgium two years ago...and I was in the fast lane. That's right, he went between me in a RHD vehicle driving on the right, and the central reservation. Fuck Belgium, they're dangerous.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm

siliconfury wrote:
TheLotusEater193 wrote:Why are they wrong on the left? D:

He said anywhere BUT the left is wrong ;)

Oops :P

That bike overtake sounds terrifying D: Was there much of a gap?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:57 pm

About enough space for a bike. :lol:

I wasn't terrified in the slightest, more gobsmacked. Not as if I was hogging the lane, I overtook an overtaking lorry. Man had balls of steel.

On a related matter did a bit of reading on someones car discussion. Couple of things I had a problem with, this guys gone and got himself a Vauxhall and the subject came up about Fords and this was the reply: "fords are ok. The inside never look nice though," says the Vauxhall driver, and no joke this was the most intelligent of all the posts: "To be fair, they do have decent stereos in. Nice one." Fucking children. :rolleyes:

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:27 am

Took the Focus (I ought to put some effort into giving it a name. Hocus Pocus - Focus, perhaps?) through a car wash for the first time today after a weekend of winds blowing greasy (polluted, probably by the looks of the foam on the beach) sand and sea mist. This reminded me that I really ought to get a new driver's side wing mirror to replace the one the previous owner had strapped up as a bodge fix.

I'm pleased that it managed to tow a trailer tent, 2 year's worth of stuff (or so it always seems) and 2 passengers, plus a couple of hours of idle tickover with lights on, phones/satnav/old walkman on charge, to Fleetwood, just north of Blackpool and back on a single tank (50 litres).

I'll probably keep banging on about it, but I love this car. I can pour all the camping weekend stuff we own into the boot alone, I can leave sporty looking hatchbacks that want to sniff my chuff all the way down a single carriageway, at the lights, I'm happy with the fuel consumption, and I can sleep in the fucking back without having to resort to contortion! I was never this happy with the Blood Red Fiesta!

Now, just to pray that it doesn't break any more for a little while. Although I should probably replace the wing mirror. And the back windscreen wash jet leaks into the boot. Some bits of the boot are starting to look rusty. Despite the engine thermostat being changed, the temperature gauge still reads halfway. Interior still needs a good clean.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:58 am

Noodle wrote:Despite the engine thermostat being changed, the temperature gauge still reads halfway.

When your engine coolant is up to temperature, it should read half way.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:04 am

siliconfury wrote:
Noodle wrote:Despite the engine thermostat being changed, the temperature gauge still reads halfway.

Yeah any higher than half way and you can start raising your eyebrow in a quizzical manner
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am

siliconfury wrote:

Really?! That always confused me greatly. I swear mine's at halfway as soon as I turn the car on.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:46 am

TheLotusEater193 wrote:
siliconfury wrote:

Really?! That always confused me greatly. I swear mine's at halfway as soon as I turn the car on.

It'll do that if you turn on the car from warm, but from cold the needle should be at the bottom, then slowly creep up.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm

So I just came off the blower (skype) from the parents and they said to me they run a quote for my sister age 17 (not her real age, shes now 15) and they wanted a ball park figure of how much it would cost a 17 year old to be insured on a Nissan Micra 1.0l petrol, not imported, not modified, not anything. No fuck it, without using gocompare or any similar minded websites, take a guess how much?

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:23 pm

£3k?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 pm

What does Jim reckon?

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

It can't be more than £3k surely?