A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: A driving thread

Postby Turbo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Off to Scotland tomorrow. Livingston to be exact. Only got back 25 minutes ago and I need to be at the compound by 5am. Oh and we have Transits, so ill be spending most of my day in petrol stations tomorrow.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Changed a tyre for the first time today after discovering my front right was flat. Space saver (sigh) turned out to be 25psi... it's now at its recommended 60(!)psi. That's nearly DOUBLE whatthe other tyres are!

In other vaguely interesting news, my front left tyre is 6 years old with little sign of wear.

Fancy an ex-copper V70 T5? There's one on auto trader for a grand and a half. 0-60 in about 6 and a half seconds.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:42 pm

thehairyone wrote:I love cruise control. As long as its and intelligent system that doesn't instanly disengage as soon as you touch a pedal it makes motorways so much easier.

Huh? Not disengaging when you touch the pedal seems like a recipe for disaster to me. My views on it? Generally not worth it, at least in this country. But I tried it in Sweden on much less congested roads and it seemed fine. Just turn it on and then make minor adjustments with the +/- controls on the steering wheel as you approach other vehicles. It did feel a bit too much like a video game at times, though.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Ok, so what I meant like that was the old system in my dad's car used to disengage as soon as you touched the brake, clutch or accelerator. The system in the rather newer Ford I drove with it wouldn't disengage if you used the accelerator, say to pass a lorry on the motorway, then let it go again - it would just coast back down to the set speed. The same way, if you used the brakes to slow down by (IIRC) 5mph - you come off the brakes and it sped back up. Slow down by more than 5mph and it disengaged. It just allowed for small, temporary adjustments which made it nicer. Same as using the +/- controls, but a different way of applying them.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:39 pm

thehairyone wrote:say to pass a lorry on the motorway, then let it go again - it would just coast back down to the set speed.

That's normal, but lightly breaking to disengage only with a 5mph drop in speed? That's unique to that type I think.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Noodle wrote: it's now at its recommended 60(!)psi. That's nearly DOUBLE whatthe other tyres are!

Smaller tyre volume.

Generally a smaller volume requires a higher PSI. Bicycles are at around 100psi.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 pm

siliconfury wrote:Smaller tyre volume.

Generally a smaller volume requires a higher PSI. Bicycles are at around 100psi.

Yep. That's one of the reasons my race car tyres are around 6½psi.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Tet wrote:
siliconfury wrote:Smaller tyre volume.

Yep. That's one of the reasons my race car tyres are around 6½psi.

So that'll make it look like a balloon being twisted when played at slow mo :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_u0YR10Vo0

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:39 am

That's 'kin brutal!

Anyway, I just thought it odd since my old Fiesta insisted on 29-ish/34-ish (I think) and an internet search (since it didn't come with a manual) suggested I should inflate my wider, larger Focus tyres to 34psi all round.

Not having encounted or used a space saver before, I was terrified it'd just go bang in my face, that's all. The slightly different size got the traction control all into a dither too.
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:30 pm

siliconfury wrote:So that'll make it look like a balloon being twisted when played at slow mo :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_u0YR10Vo0

Pretty much, yeah. That guy drives a car in the same team as me FWIW. He's also a former ski jumping world record holder. The racetrack in the video is Alastaro in Finland. Notable for 24 hour daylight at the time of the race, which is a bizarre experience. There's also a restaurant at the top end of the track that's open until 3am, which is perfect for when you've been working on the car all night!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:23 pm

So I was sitting at a set of lights last night when I hear a loud bass booming slowly approaching. Cue me starting to giggle, unable to turn and look. Lights change and I finally glance (standard mirror checks, of course) and the #YOLO 19 year old in his done up Arosa may have caught me pissing with laughter at him as I turned off. By may, I mean he turned round to look at me.

I'm sure a lot of heart, soul and money has been poured into that little Seat's stereo, exhaust and fibreglass kit, but fuck me does it look ridiculous and shouts "MY DRIVER IS A FUCKING COCK" louder than any car's bass system. People are proud of cars like that and it blows my mind.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:05 pm

I plan to write to the council about a cycle lane slip road on a roundabout that a car managed to use to undertake me up Thursday. Going to basically say that it needs a couple of those metal posts so the scummy cunts of Chelmsley Wood can't use it as a sliproad in their vehicles and consequently nearly collide with me. Whether ill get anywhere with it, I don't know. Laughable that such an area has cycle lanes. Only bikes that are ridden there are stolen.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Noodle wrote:I'm sure a lot of heart, soul and money has been poured into that little Seat's stereo, exhaust and fibreglass kit, but fuck me does it look ridiculous and shouts "MY DRIVER IS A FUCKING COCK" louder than any car's bass system. People are proud of cars like that and it blows my mind.

If I didn't already know you were someone I should be friends with, that would have just sealed the deal!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:45 pm

A very silly girl on the M1, seems to think that if she puts her indicators on to overtake a lorry that I should just allow her straight out. I didn't, I had a massive gap behind me she could have sat in which ultimately she did. When you want to overtake, you look in the mirror first, then if it's free you indicate to come out. If you were taught any different, then you were taught wrong.

So she flashed her lights at me and gave me a filthy look...because she's a shit driver.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Turbo wrote:A very silly girl on the M1, seems to think that if she puts her indicators on to overtake a lorry that I should just allow her straight out. I didn't, I had a massive gap behind me she could have sat in which ultimately she did. When you want to overtake, you look in the mirror first, then if it's free you indicate to come out. If you were taught any different, then you were taught wrong.

So she flashed her lights at me and gave me a filthy look...because she's a shit driver.

Oh Christ, was that me? :lol:

Tbh I don't remember doing anything like that today, if you were even in my neck of the woods at all. But I do get really paranoid that I piss people off to the extent that they would bitch about my driving online..
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.