Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jim
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jim » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Right, Simplyhealth.

Rake through their website (specifically the "About Us" pages), find out what it is they do for their customers, and *how* they do it.

Then think of something in your career history so far where you've done some kind of customer service above the ordinary, that sounds like something that they would do themselves.

Basically make yourself look like their model employee. Can't think of anything? Take something mudane you did and dress it up slightly so it matches what they sound like they do.

Remember, it might be a shitty slogan, but it represents something about how they promote their image and how they do what it is they do. Your job whilst applying for a job there is to make yourself sound like someone who already works there and is an ambassador for their brand.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 pm

The major problem with things like this is that I have such an unremarkable job that it is difficult to find any examples worth using - I want a new job where I can get the opportunity to DO things! All of these job applications/career related things ask about achievements and things you are proud of and I have nothing aside from not murdering half the people I work with.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 pm

You've seriously not helped anyone in like... the last year? With anything?

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Nantha wrote:but more hours = more money so thats good surely? :)

Yeah definitely. There's only positive effects from doing these 10 hour shifts, and I do so many now its not really any worse than doing 8, but they can tend to drag a bit. Today wasn't so bad though.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 pm

metalsam wrote:You've seriously not helped anyone in like... the last year? With anything?

Nothing that would make me stand out.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Katesyl
Paster of Muppets

Postby Katesyl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:14 pm

CrappyMike wrote:

Yeah definitely. There's only positive effects from doing these 10 hour shifts, and I do so many now its not really any worse than doing 8, but they can tend to drag a bit. Today wasn't so bad though.

I admire your perseverance - every extra hour at Tesco was another hour of torture. I was far too soul-destroyed to think about the money.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 pm

Katesyl wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:

I admire your perseverance - every extra hour at Tesco was another hour of torture. I was far too soul-destroyed to think about the money.

It depends on what I'm doing really, sitting on a till, lottery kiosk and trolleys is soul destroying, self checkout I can live with, customer service desk I oddly enjoy. Supervising I have mixed feelings on. I don't get paid for it, and I literally do it so the actual supervisor can be a lazy fuck, but its at least a bit interesting.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 am

CrappyMike wrote:It depends on what I'm doing really, sitting on a till, lottery kiosk and trolleys is soul destroying

Really? Working on the tills was by far the most enjoyable part of working in a supermarket for me.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 am

Fjar wrote:They're not stupid, they don't imagine you working for them until you retire in four or five decades' time, they want to know how you envisage your time with them - how will five years with them set you up for your long-term career plans? They want to know if they can help you, too.

Maybe that's true in some cases, but I suspect they're rare. But in all of the places I've worked where I've been sat on the employing side of the table, the sole criteria has been "can they do the job and are they a good fit for the team?". That's been just as true whether I've been working for enormous multinationals or for small startups. How can we, as an employer, help you as a prospective employee? No, I can honestly say that's never come up.

Nor are anyone's long term career goals really relevant, at least in the IT positions for which I've been hiring. Realistically, there's a fairly large churn rate, so you're expecting someone to leave after a few years anyway. It doesn't matter whether that's because they've got a better offer elsewhere, because you can't meet their career goals or just because they've had enough and feel like bumming around for a year doing bugger all. You employ them on the basis of whether they'll be suitable in the short to medium term. I'd say long term planning of that sort simply doesn't exist on any meaningful scale any more.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 am

Tet wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:It depends on what I'm doing really, sitting on a till, lottery kiosk and trolleys is soul destroying

Really? Working on the tills was by far the most enjoyable part of working in a supermarket for me.

I really don't enjoy it :lol:

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 am

Crappymike - You're forgetting the best thing. When you leave, you get to be part of the Ex-Tesco Master Race.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 am

Tet wrote:
Fjar wrote:They're not stupid, they don't imagine you working for them until you retire in four or five decades' time, they want to know how you envisage your time with them - how will five years with them set you up for your long-term career plans? They want to know if they can help you, too.

Maybe that's true in some cases, but I suspect they're rare. But in all of the places I've worked where I've been sat on the employing side of the table, the sole criteria has been "can they do the job and are they a good fit for the team?". That's been just as true whether I've been working for enormous multinationals or for small startups. How can we, as an employer, help you as a prospective employee? No, I can honestly say that's never come up.

Nor are anyone's long term career goals really relevant, at least in the IT positions for which I've been hiring. Realistically, there's a fairly large churn rate, so you're expecting someone to leave after a few years anyway. It doesn't matter whether that's because they've got a better offer elsewhere, because you can't meet their career goals or just because they've had enough and feel like bumming around for a year doing bugger all. You employ them on the basis of whether they'll be suitable in the short to medium term. I'd say long term planning of that sort simply doesn't exist on any meaningful scale any more.

It's better than "so you can pay me you wank stain" though, right?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

Not allowed to put any product in my hair today, not even argan oil.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:17 am

How come?

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 pm

De Stijl wrote:Crappymike - You're forgetting the best thing. When you leave, you get to be part of the Ex-Tesco Master Race.

We are one. Yet we are many. We are strong.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!