Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon
Posts: 4237
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Basically, 99% of what you say is condescending bullshit that also contains very little meaning. I don't want to be personal because I get on with you but you do really need to get off your high horse.

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby metalsam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Show me the flaw in my logic then.

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby metalsam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd agree that in the space of 24 hours, it would be hard to quit your job and walk into another :lol:

User avatar
TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon
Posts: 4237
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:26 pm

metalsam wrote:Show me the flaw in my logic then.

That's the thing, there technically is no flaw in your logic. But if it were that simple then surely much more people would be doing what you suggest.

Like Gandalf, I'm not unemployed and have no personal reason to be arguing, I just think it's a completely unrealistic viewpoint.

User avatar
Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 11935
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:
metalsam wrote:Show me the flaw in my logic then.

That's the thing, there technically is no flaw in your logic. But if it were that simple then surely much more people would be doing what you suggest.

Like Gandalf, I'm not unemployed and have no personal reason to be arguing, I just think it's a completely unrealistic viewpoint.


It's not - but it requires personal effort to do it. And the truth is the vast majority of people do not want to put in the effort it requires. Hence the enourmous market of "convenience" goods.
Last edited by Jim on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby metalsam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:
metalsam wrote:Show me the flaw in my logic then.

That's the thing, there technically is no flaw in your logic. But if it were that simple then surely much more people would be doing what you suggest.


What if it is that simple? Isn't that what you've done... studied what you wanted, worked hard at it, moved to get the job you want?

User avatar
skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2736
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Accessing the Acropolis

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby skull-wart » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 pm

metalsam wrote:
skull-wart wrote:
metalsam wrote:That's bullshit. No-one is forced to accept a job with X or Y hours, if they don't want it they can go elsewhere. Life is for living, but not at the forced expense of someone else.


What jobs are you working? :lol: If someone isn't flexible for the hours offered at my agency they don't consider you for that job. I was just saying I prefer people who have a social life to careerists. I always clear up after myself too.


That's kinda what I meant. If you're not going to create a job for yourself, you rely on someone else creating a job for you. To dictate to that person giving you a job what hours you want seems kinda entitled. Anyway, if you were really that bothered about it you'd find a way to do something about it.


Yeah, that would make sense if you were cutting down a tree in someone's back yard for some cash, but proper career path needs to have benefits for it's employees, or jobs wouldn't offer pensions, holidays, insurance, etc. Being self employed means you don't get this offered to you through your work but you decide when you work as a benefit instead.
Image
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby metalsam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:42 pm

For a proper career path, the employee needs to benefit the employer. If they do, the employer will be happy to reward the employee.

User avatar
TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon
Posts: 4237
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

metalsam wrote:
TheLotusEater193 wrote:
metalsam wrote:Show me the flaw in my logic then.

That's the thing, there technically is no flaw in your logic. But if it were that simple then surely much more people would be doing what you suggest.


What if it is that simple? Isn't that what you've done... studied what you wanted, worked hard at it, moved to get the job you want?

Yeah, but I had £15k behind me to pay for a Patisserie course. No way in hell would I have got this job without that, so I'm not really a prime example.

User avatar
fluffymoo
Denim Demon
Posts: 4260
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Your heart

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby fluffymoo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 am

Sam be a smeghead pie, and ain't nobody wantin' a slice.
Image

User avatar
Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 11935
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:26 am

skull-wart wrote: but proper career path needs to have benefits for it's employees, or jobs wouldn't offer pensions, holidays, insurance, etc.


Those benefits benefit the employer primarily - they're cheaper (more tax-efficient) to issue to employees than a higher salary whilst still keeping the job attractive to employees.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby metalsam » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 am

fluffymoo wrote:Sam be a smeghead pie, and ain't nobody wantin' a slice.


I provided an alternative viewpoint that appears to be logical... what's wrong with that?

User avatar
fluffymoo
Denim Demon
Posts: 4260
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Your heart

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby fluffymoo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:44 am

It was aimed at your attitude, not so much your opinions and viewpoints.
Image

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby metalsam » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 am

What was my attitude?

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm

Too many people have negative attitudes. Sometimes its not as simple as Sam says but it never will be if all you ever say is "I can't do that"