Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Apparently, 2" of snow on the ground means we don't get any post around here.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Had to lend someone £250 from my "squirreled-away" savings. Urgh.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Noodle wrote:I've also left my gloves in Ilkeston.

I forgot my gloves today too. Not really a big loss because they were finger-less and therefore entirely useless.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Everyone else has been making snowmen while i've been stuck at work :(
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm

^ I had a snowball fight :D
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

There isn't a single fully functional media player available on chrome OS yet
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

henryburch
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby henryburch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 pm

buses ...bus home didn't turn up next one was in a hour thank fuck my mates decided not to get his hair cut as the hairdresser cut his brothers ear..him mum gave me a lift back :D

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm

People whinging about money/being students despite them being well off as fuck, getting massive loans/grants and bursaries and having the luxury of driving and help from parents.
In the supermarket earlier buying fish and my friend was like "It's too expensive, I can't afford that I'm a student, It's OK for you, you work" - I still get less money in total each year despite working basically full time on top of uni *rage*
Some people are so tight and ungrateful and whinge about everything. Was golden though, as we walked out of the shop a homeless man was sat in the snow and asked us for money. Think it shit them up a bit when they realised how pretty they were whinging about supposedly not being able to afford food when they know they can. Uuuuuuughhhhhhhh, people.
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Apparently, 2" of snow on the ground means we don't get any post around here.

This. Awaiting some stuff and I have no idea if/when it's going to arrive. Rather aggravating.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Purple n Batty
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Purple n Batty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am

Damp has now spread more into living room. Touched one part of the wall where the chimney was and my hand came away wet. Contractors coming Friday afternoon pending weather. Setting my anxiety off as my head is convincing me I'll be told I'll have to find somewhere else to live within the month or something as had trouble with previous landlords and damp/heating not working. I know anywhere would be warmer than this but I can't be done with the hassle of finding somewhere that I can afford for me and the cats that accepts Housing Benefit and on a decent bus route. Plus I've had so much upheaval and moving 7 times in the last 3-4 years (mainly no thanks to the ex and 2 cold damp houses) that my head is still in the I need to settle in one place for a bit longer mode.

Plus, typing with a kitten lying down your arm isn't easy - but it's certainly keeping my hand warm.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm quite happy with it

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 am

Freyja wrote:
Freyja wrote:Hummm, really don't like waiting for emails. The job interview I went to Thursday before last said they'd email everyone, regardless of whether they were successful or not, but still no word. No number to call either. Pretty certain I've not got the job, but still it would be nice to have been told by now, haha.

Got a reply! Nope, no job for me. Nevermind, I don't think I'd make a very good waitress anyway.

As far as these things go (as I work for quite a large brand atm) jobs like that, are very very dependent on 1. if you already know someone working there and/or 2. the timing of your application. Some of this you may know, but yeah. We have had 5/6 CVs etc in a day but at that particular time we weren't looking, so they were sort of overlooked, then say, something goes tits up and someone leaves we may take the first CV we get from then on (not me in particular, my manager) - not sure how often this is done, but I've seen this approach at a few places, maybe unfair but they do it. They try and make me work out front during busy periods but I find it hard to enjoy personally, though some people are great at it and I'd say it's largely dependent on where you work and who with. But keep on applying and trying as you never know where you could land if the time was right. You would work well in a pub/restaurant setting I reckon, alot of the time it just takes politeness and patience which some people seem to barely manage. Hopefully you will find somewhere soon. It is so much easier from then on when you start working though, as small as a job may be.
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:15 am

Purple n Batty wrote:Damp has now spread more into living room. Touched one part of the wall where the chimney was and my hand came away wet. Contractors coming Friday afternoon pending weather. Setting my anxiety off as my head is convincing me I'll be told I'll have to find somewhere else to live within the month or something as had trouble with previous landlords and damp/heating not working. I know anywhere would be warmer than this but I can't be done with the hassle of finding somewhere that I can afford for me and the cats that accepts Housing Benefit and on a decent bus route. Plus I've had so much upheaval and moving 7 times in the last 3-4 years (mainly no thanks to the ex and 2 cold damp houses) that my head is still in the I need to settle in one place for a bit longer mode.

:(

Water getting into the electrics is apparently due to a frozen down pipe from the gutter. There are two great big damp patches in the corners of the living room and kitchen where snowmelt has nowhere to go. The electrician spotted it and will be onto the landlord about it so she can get the builder in.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 am

Purple n Batty wrote:Damp has now spread more into living room. Touched one part of the wall where the chimney was and my hand came away wet. Contractors coming Friday afternoon pending weather. Setting my anxiety off as my head is convincing me I'll be told I'll have to find somewhere else to live within the month or something as had trouble with previous landlords and damp/heating not working. I know anywhere would be warmer than this but I can't be done with the hassle of finding somewhere that I can afford for me and the cats that accepts Housing Benefit and on a decent bus route. Plus I've had so much upheaval and moving 7 times in the last 3-4 years (mainly no thanks to the ex and 2 cold damp houses) that my head is still in the I need to settle in one place for a bit longer mode.

Plus, typing with a kitten lying down your arm isn't easy - but it's certainly keeping my hand warm.

As I've lived in 5 different places in the last 2 years (will be 6 this september and 7 by next september) it really does get irritating having to constantly move around, for me it feels like I can't call anywhere home so here's to hoping you don't have to move out! :hug:

A bit of damp doesn't necessarily mean the house is fucked though, it's still pretty likely it'll be 'aight
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Purple n Batty
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Purple n Batty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 pm

Been reading up between client's and it appears that the walls being soaked are due to condensation with me breathing and with heating and no ventilation. Would probably be warmer if I opened windows anyway! Plus, the portable gas heater is apparantly bad for causing condensation. Going to try opening windows a bit (but not enough for silly kitten to fall out) and put pots of salt round to soak up the moisture. Hopefully it will all get better once the re-pointing has been done but that'll take a while as they will need scaffolding and access to the Job Centre's land to get to the offending wall.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm quite happy with it

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm

So, those that tell you to listen to music from professional bands or artists to give you inspiration to play are telling you to go and destroy your own motivation and convince yourself that you'll never reach their ability with your own talent.

That's just happened to me again. Wanted to play a tune by a fella called Andy Cutting because I'd just remembered about it and wanted to play it. Went and found the above video to learn it and gave up before I started trying. The amount of cross-rowing, combining of bass/chords and so many subtleties just killed my ambition all over again. I'm a decent player, but far too basic to aspire to anything anywhere near as good as this guy.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.