Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
peypea
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby peypea » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Need to clean my teeth but my bed is so comfy.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:32 pm

I use my phone GPS to get me places rather than my Tomtom these days as it gives me live accurate updates of traffic, however it's fucking stupid at the same time.
It'll automatically take me on the 32 mile journey because its one minute quicker than a 16 mile journey to the same destination, and even when I drive the other way it'll constantly try and turn me back on the old route. :evil:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:32 am

Related: toying with the idea of slinging my satnav. Google maps is so much better. My satnav will find every queue and put me on the back of it. Then if I drive, oddly, in either south London or Sheffield it hardly works at all. Rerouting or finding satellites respectively being the constant problems. Get none of this shit with google maps. Only draw back with them is by foot where it seems to think im moonwalking everywhere.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Nantha wrote:I use my phone GPS to get me places rather than my Tomtom these days as it gives me live accurate updates of traffic, however it's fucking stupid at the same time.
It'll automatically take me on the 32 mile journey because its one minute quicker than a 16 mile journey to the same destination, and even when I drive the other way it'll constantly try and turn me back on the old route. :evil:

Try fiddling with the settings - most will have a choice of shortest or quickest.

I never had an issue with my Tom Tom regarding routes, but the one I use now that's built in is like being guided by a drunk, it should just add 'I know a short cut' in a slurred voice instead of the posh girl. My route home at 11pm through the lanes in Cannock Forrest was almost into horror movie territory.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:05 pm

I want to change my voice to some rough around the edges girl from Barking. Everything she says ends with "you caahnt."

I have a Garmin. Prefer them to Tomtom. Still marred with problems.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:11 pm

My SatNav on my phone has a hidden "Scenic Route" option such is it's penchant for taking me all around the world.

On the way to bloodstock it took my off the A50, round winding country lanes for half an hour and onto the A38.. a road connected to the A50. :lol:
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Got too fucked off with the shite performance of my laptop.

Turns out it's the hard disk - ridiculously sub par on benchmark websites. I never noticed in Windows 8.1 because it was able to use the 24GB SSD as hybrid storage, but Windows 10 just flat out doesn't support hybrid disk setups like that.

Just shelled out £80 for a new Samsung 250GB SSD (and next day delivery), which is well above the average speeds of the fastest mainstream SSDs out there. Can't fucking wait.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:47 am

SSDs in laptops just makes perfect sense. Faster boot times, quicker programs, less heat.. the only downside is the decreased capacity, but unless you're using it for video processing or something stupid like that, 240G/500GB is more than enough space.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:04 am

I dismissed SSDs a couple of year ago because of cost vs size, but I just looked and they are getting really affordable these days. With stuff like Fallout 4 and that coming up I might have to pick one up.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:24 am

I have so many horrible mosquito bites, and all on the back of my knees for some reason :(

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:18 am

Jobdone wrote:I dismissed SSDs a couple of year ago because of cost vs size, but I just looked and they are getting really affordable these days. With stuff like Fallout 4 and that coming up I might have to pick one up.

I recently upgraded to an ssd, booting up in 7seconds as opposed to 7mins? Best thing ever.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Can confirm - 5 seconds from finger on power button to lock screen. This is amazing!
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:07 pm

SSD's now are a no-brainer. Certainly for your OS and programs. I'm pondering when I build a new rig next year if I should just dump the idea of spinning disks and just stick 2-3 SSD's in instead and get a NAS box to go alongside.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:I recently upgraded to an ssd, booting up in 7seconds as opposed to 7mins? Best thing ever.

You reboot? What a strange concept!

Code: Select all

leto:~% uptime
 19:20:50 up 84 days,  8:06,  9 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.30, 0.25

andor:~% uptime
 19:21:02 up 97 days,  6:09,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

hirad:~% uptime
 19:21:55 up 97 days,  5:55,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Nantha wrote:I have so many horrible mosquito bites, and all on the back of my knees for some reason :(

Midges always go for the back of my knees. I figure it's because the blood vessels are closer to the surface. :ugh:
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.