Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm

That's why I didn't post anything in the RIP section. Maybe I'm not used to sensitive people.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 11935
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Image
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Applecore » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:21 pm

There's a difference between people being sensitive and people showing respect for those who've had an impact on their lives.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Also the fact that it's incredibly hard to read tone over the internet.

It didn't come across as a joke when first read, just you being a bit of a dick.
Image

User avatar
Purple n Batty
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Purple n Batty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Beardy wouldn't let me facepaint him on Sunday night. I tried a few times. :lol:

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Applecore wrote:There's a difference between people being sensitive and people showing respect for those who've had an impact on their lives.


Now I'm not saying that.

If I went out to the pub tonight then I know I will get told loads of jokes about Robin Williams. I've already seen plenty of them over the internet without even trying to find them. People might tut or rolleyes, but no one will get offended. That's the sort of people I'm used to.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Moonburp
Denim Demon
Posts: 15325
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Just got curious about the smackhead part tbh. I disagree with calling suicide vehemently selfish though. Often the bad thought patterns operate in such a way where they're telling you that it's kinder to remove yourself from the lives of people you love to stop being a burden.

Who knows, basically. Depression is complicated shit.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

User avatar
Fjar
Denim Demon
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Fjar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:42 pm

I don't understand how suicide is selfish at all. :? It's not as if he wanted to do it. That's how mental illnesses work, isn't it?
Image
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:If I went out to the pub tonight then I know I will get told loads of jokes about Robin Williams. I've already seen plenty of them over the internet without even trying to find them. People might tut or rolleyes, but no one will get offended. That's the sort of people I'm used to.


Thing is though, those jokes tend to have set ups and punchlines.

Not just "HAH SELFISH SMACKHEAD".

That just seems like a random attack on a person that's surprisingly close to a lot of peoples heart for a celebrity.
Image

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Jobdone wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If I went out to the pub tonight then I know I will get told loads of jokes about Robin Williams. I've already seen plenty of them over the internet without even trying to find them. People might tut or rolleyes, but no one will get offended. That's the sort of people I'm used to.


Thing is though, those jokes tend to have set ups and punchlines.

Not just "HAH SELFISH SMACKHEAD".

That just seems like a random attack on a person that's surprisingly close to a lot of peoples heart for a celebrity.


The selfish smackhead part wasn't a joke. It's well known he was a hard drug user. If you take drugs then be prepared to pay the consequences, but other people shouldn't suffer.

I've seen other people post offensive stuff on here. Or is it only offensive if it's a celebrity that you personally like? I bet you were all posting jokes about Michael Jackson for example.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:18 pm

What?

Your whole thing was "I'm used to people not caring about offensive jokes"

But the offensive part wasn't a joke apparently.
Image

User avatar
fluffymoo
Denim Demon
Posts: 4260
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Your heart

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby fluffymoo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:27 pm

It's offensive because you're being an ignorant prick about people who suffer from depression, drug abuse, and those who have lost lives or loved ones from suicide.
Image

User avatar
Moonburp
Denim Demon
Posts: 15325
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Genuinely interested though, where's the bit about Robin Williams using drugs in recent years?
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Jobdone wrote:What?

Your whole thing was "I'm used to people not caring about offensive jokes"

But the offensive part wasn't a joke apparently.


I am used to people telling offensive jokes. I've certainly seen you post material that some people would find offensive. Most of us don't have a problem with that and have a chuckle.


But I've got no sympathy for a drug addict killing himself. It was his decision to take drugs. Now three people don't have a father. It's them I have sympathy for.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Moonburp
Denim Demon
Posts: 15325
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
But I've got no sympathy for a drug addict killing himself. It was his decision to take drugs. Now three people don't have a father. It's them I have sympathy for.

Quit drugs in the 80s, apparently. Granted, he struggled with alcoholism but there's nothing to suggest this was related to that so far.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm