Page 368 of 436

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:36 pm
by keera_envenomed
siliconfury wrote:I've registered my debit card for contactless on the tube, so I don't even need to carry an Oyster!


Holy crap, you can do that? The future really is here!

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:39 pm
by Jim
keera_envenomed wrote:
siliconfury wrote:I've registered my debit card for contactless on the tube, so I don't even need to carry an Oyster!


Holy crap, you can do that? The future really is here!


Yup: https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:12 pm
by WorMzy
I hope you guys have shielded wallets, and never leave your cards lying around.

I prefer security over convenience. It only takes a few seconds to put in your PIN number.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:32 pm
by Noodle
*lose card without realising for a few hours*

*spend panic stricken minutes on phone to premium rate bank helpline to find out if someone has helped themselves to a pinless shopping spree, costing you, the bank and the other bank customers money in the long run*

But it's fine; Future. Seconds literally gained.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:35 pm
by Jim
Noodle wrote:*lose card without realising for a few hours*

*spend panic stricken minutes on phone to premium rate bank helpline to find out if someone has helped themselves to a pinless shopping spree, costing you, the bank and the other bank customers money in the long run*

But it's fine; Future. Seconds literally gained.


That would happen with or without contactless.

EDIT: My bank's stolen card hotline is freephone :P

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:00 pm
by Jobdone
There's something about contactless that feels way less secure.

Obviously with normal cards they can just jump online and do the same thing, but it feels so much shiftier with contactless.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 pm
by Tet
Danroush wrote:As it's stands, there's space for one basket at most, anything more clogs up the whole area.

If that's so, then why do they tell you where to put your trolley?

Image

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 pm
by Tet
keera_envenomed wrote:
siliconfury wrote:What? I love contactless, it's way faster than C+P.

Yeah -I don't get the objections. It's so quick and convenient.

WTF? I'd expect better from you, Jim. Speed is irrelevant. Convenience is irrelevant. They're horribly insecure, which trumps everything. I very much object to having them forced on me, and I now have to have an RFID blocking wallet because of it.

Also, Oyster cards are a privacy nightmare. But it's hard to avoid them :-(

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:44 pm
by thehairyone
When my dad came back from New Zealand he found it really strange not paying for everything via contactless. It pretty much replaced cash for him. I do have a contactless pre-pay debit card which is kinda nice, but since Vodafone changed their app I cba using it.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:48 pm
by Tet
ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:also has same capping (max amount charged per day) as an oyster card, which makes life a lot easier.

Well, no. They have a limit per transaction (currently £20, due to rise to £30 later this year). Any further restrictions, such as per-day transaction quantity or per-day transaction value limits may optionally be imposed by the individual card issuers. But they may not. And surprise, surprise, they generally don't publish that information. I've so far failed to find out what limits (if any) my bank imposes, for example. So if you happen to have a card from a bank without limits, a stolen card could be used to empty the account without any authentication being required.

FWIW, Chip & Pin is also a security nightmare. I'm largely switching to using cash for everything these days.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:56 pm
by CrappyMike
We don't accept contactless payment but I do get a laugh every time someone holds their card on the reader instead of actually putting it in.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:12 am
by peypea
Tet wrote:
ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:also has same capping (max amount charged per day) as an oyster card, which makes life a lot easier.

Well, no. They have a limit per transaction (currently £20, due to rise to £30 later this year). Any further restrictions, such as per-day transaction quantity or per-day transaction value limits may optionally be imposed by the individual card issuers. But they may not. And surprise, surprise, they generally don't publish that information. I've so far failed to find out what limits (if any) my bank imposes, for example. So if you happen to have a card from a bank without limits, a stolen card could be used to empty the account without any authentication being required.

FWIW, Chip & Pin is also a security nightmare. I'm largely switching to using cash for everything these days.


I believe Scrumpies means capping on using it as an oyster, so you don't get charged anymore per day than on an oyster card, not anything else.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:37 am
by Jim
Tet wrote:They're horribly insecure, which trumps everything. I very much object to having them forced on me, and I now have to have an RFID blocking wallet because of it.


So? You have to be careful, deal with it. You have passwords on your computer no doubt. You put trust into SSL for secure websites and online payment, I bet. You use cash machines which you trust don't have skimmers on.

Every part of security infrastructure does have risks, you just have to manage them.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 am
by keera_envenomed
siliconfury wrote:
Tet wrote:They're horribly insecure, which trumps everything. I very much object to having them forced on me, and I now have to have an RFID blocking wallet because of it.


So? You have to be careful, deal with it. You have passwords on your computer no doubt. You put trust into SSL for secure websites and online payment, I bet. You use cash machines which you trust don't have skimmers on.

Every part of security infrastructure does have risks, you just have to manage them.


This. I've NEVER had my card details stolen and i've used some dodgy as fuck looking cash machines and ordered from loads of online stores. I had my hotmail hacked once and that was the only time my online security has had a problem. There are far easier ways to get card details than from contactless cards that can get you much more than £20 a time.

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:48 am
by Danroush
Tet wrote:
Danroush wrote:As it's stands, there's space for one basket at most, anything more clogs up the whole area.

If that's so, then why do they tell you where to put your trolley?

pic



I already said I was referring to the ones I've seen, Tet. I don't quite see the point of your reply here. It seems like you completely missed my reply and went back and read (and quoted) my first post again :?