The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby V-Man » Mon May 27, 2013 2:49 pm

In my experience some job applications (usually for large national or international companies) will ask a few of the questions listed above but they don't tend to be particularly intrusive. I haven't found it to be a universal thing though. Are you referring to low key part-time jobs or salaried full time positions? I only have experience of the former.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon May 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:When you apply for a job in Britain do you have to fill out a monitoring form to return in a separate envelope with the application? I'm curious to know if this is only a thing in Northern Ireland.

When I applied for a Local Authority job, I think there was a questionnaire like that, but my last two applications for private sector/charity organisation didn't. Only related to gender/race etc IIRC, nothing about politics.
Last edited by someone else on Mon May 27, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon May 27, 2013 3:22 pm

V-Man wrote:In my experience some job applications (usually for large national or international companies) will ask a few of the questions listed above but they don't tend to be particularly intrusive. I haven't found it to be a universal thing though. Are you referring to low key part-time jobs or salaried full time positions? I only have experience of the former.

Same, I've been working in kitchens and fast food since I was 18 and every job I've ever applied for has had a form like this.

What's made me curious is how they have begun to differ slightly. A few years ago the forms were all identical, just asking the religious community, race and sex questions. Those all made sense because of the history of religious discrimination in jobs here, as well as the fact we've always been a bit behind the curve when it comes to gender equality and racial sensitivity (not our fault, it took us 30 years to sort out the religious discrimination bit first.) The way the additional questions now for gender/orientation, political outlook/nationality, age and disability aren't being implemented universally makes me wonder if it really is about added protection from discrimination, or something else. Take the last 2 I filled out- one asked if I was Nationalist/Unionist/neither and gave options for British/Irish in the race question while the other didn't ask about political persuasion and specifically said not to indicate nationality in the race question.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Wait wait wait.

You mean you've sorted the religious discrimination thing out? I'll book my holiday tomorrow!

In seriousness, for part-time jobs I find them to be quite uncommon over here. Neither of the places I am working at the moment had one, that said one of them has no paperwork at all (apart from food hygene/H&S stuff) and immediately bins all printed CVs because the boss doesn't like them.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Those questions are all voluntary though, aren't they?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon May 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Fjar wrote:Those questions are all voluntary though, aren't they?

The sexuality and disability ones that I've seen recently are, but i'm pretty sure the "communities" (read as "sides"), race and sex ones are legally required.

Even though I don't like the phrasing of the "member of catholic community/member of protestant community/neither" question because I think it reinforces sectarianism rather than looks past it (hence why I always tick neither), I can see the purpose it serves. Without it an employer could ignore an application because they can assume someone's background from their surname or the street they live on and have grounds for plausible deniability if they actually get called up on it by the equality commission. If the employer has to read a form alongside the application where a person declares their religion then that argument of "well I didn't know he was a catholic" doesn't hold water any more.
Upcoming Gigs

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Why don't you lot just fight over football instead like the rest of us? At least it actually matters :lol:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon May 27, 2013 5:26 pm

VirginInvader wrote:Why don't you lot just fight over football instead like the rest of us? At least it actually matters :lol:

We do, but religion dictates what team you support. In local football Prods normally support The Glens or The Blues and Catholics support The Reds or The Crues. Then obviously you've got our ridiculous obsession with the Glasgow teams.
Upcoming Gigs

UtopianBlaster7
Denim Demon

Postby UtopianBlaster7 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Since I've been job-hunting in the past week some of the ones here have changed slightly. They used to only ask you if you are Catholic/Protestant/neither, Male/Female and White(european)/White(other)/Black/Asian(specify)/Irish Traveler/other. Some of the ones I've had to fill out in the past week have begun asking as well for political opinion (Unionist/Nationalist/neither), given more options for the race question (like White Irish/British or Black Irish/British) and also for you're date of birth or age bracket.

It's fucking ridiculous. Hate filling out application forms and pretty much knowing you arn't getting the job. Looks like I'll have a job for July & August though, 12 hour nightshift fs
Wise Guy

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm

UtopianBlaster7 wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Since I've been job-hunting in the past week some of the ones here have changed slightly. They used to only ask you if you are Catholic/Protestant/neither, Male/Female and White(european)/White(other)/Black/Asian(specify)/Irish Traveler/other. Some of the ones I've had to fill out in the past week have begun asking as well for political opinion (Unionist/Nationalist/neither), given more options for the race question (like White Irish/British or Black Irish/British) and also for you're date of birth or age bracket.

It's fucking ridiculous. Hate filling out application forms and pretty much knowing you arn't getting the job. Looks like I'll have a job for July & August though, 12 hour nightshift fs

That wouldn't be the worst as long as you're not working weekends. Are you still at that shitty airport gig?
Upcoming Gigs

UtopianBlaster7
Denim Demon

Postby UtopianBlaster7 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

Nah man, I went and paid for a full security pass and then they never rang me back, bastards. Won't be working weekends which is good, time and a half on Saturdays and double on Sundays if I do though
Wise Guy

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue May 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Aye that is pretty good. Have you ever been down to Grafton? I always avoiding going to job agencies but I was down there this morning and they've got me on file for emergency cover for kitchen and catering jobs and some other stuff til i get something more long-term. I wouldn't rely on them for getting you a full time job but you've got experience in the right sort of stuff that they can get you odd shifts in here and there that won't affect your dole status. Plus if you've got your SIA now they'll probably get your the odd bit of security work that the security firms don't advertise elsewhere.
Upcoming Gigs

UtopianBlaster7
Denim Demon

Postby UtopianBlaster7 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

I signed up to load of them at the start of 2010 and they never got anything for me, I remebered about it a few months ago and went to a few and updated my profile or whatever saying I got my forklift license etc but still nothing. I know plenty of people have got sorted through them though
Wise Guy

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Wed May 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Ok heres one, I'm looking at doing a disseration next year, 12-15,000 words and it'll be relating to a topic in UK Company Law with an international comparison, likely the US, Australia or India praps. Rather than focusing on the topic, if there is anyone on here who has wrote a dissertation, sure there are a few, what are your opinions on doing one and generally how did you find it.

Cheers, Ollie

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

I handed mine in 6 months back. The bulk of it was written in the 5 days leading up to the deadline, so it's a bit naff. I'm honestly surprised I passed it.
I think as long as your're willing to put the time and effort constantly then there's no reason why it should be a problem. After-all if I can pass with different people telling me different things, and only seeing my supervisor twice over the course of a year and the aforementioned short amount of time taken, then I think most people have no excuse for not passing if they actually make the effort.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18