The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 pm

The festival may (just about) still be independent, but that Facebook page certainly isn't. Made to look like a fan page, but has people employed by the festival running it. :?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about housing benefit and who is entitled to it?
Essentially I'm going to have to move to London to work, but I'm self-employed and don't make that much money atm, so rent is a real issue. Any advice would be awesome

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:44 pm

You can get housing benefit if you're self employed, but you need a certificate of earnings of some sort - check the website of the authority you're planning to move into - Nicky might be able to give more accurate help here...
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

siliconfury wrote:You can get housing benefit if you're self employed, but you need a certificate of earnings of some sort - check the website of the authority you're planning to move into - Nicky might be able to give more accurate help here...

Cheers, I don't really have an area in mind though. I mean, I couldn't just start renting an expensive flat in Chelsea and claim housing benefit could I? There must be rules of some sort...

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Nantha wrote:
siliconfury wrote:You can get housing benefit if you're self employed, but you need a certificate of earnings of some sort - check the website of the authority you're planning to move into - Nicky might be able to give more accurate help here...

Cheers, I don't really have an area in mind though. I mean, I couldn't just start renting an expensive flat in Chelsea and claim housing benefit could I? There must be rules of some sort...

I'm not sure if there is a difference between the mainland and here in regards to housing benefit, but as far as I was aware the most they'd give you was around £200 a month. I could be wrong / things have changed since I was on housing benefits a few years ago.

Probably should look into it again though. The lease on this house ends at the end of next month and Mum has pretty much moved in with her new bloke, so I need to find somewhere pretty soon.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Most local authorities have a "cap" for rent, irrespective of whether the rental is Local Authority or private landlord.

Therefore, if you are entitled to full payment of your rent in Leeds, the council cap (or limit) the sum you are entitled to, to a maximum of £500.00 per calendar month. If you are working and claiming tax credits this would be pro-rata, based on your earnings.

ie. A mate of mine privately rents at £600 per month. As the cap is £500, he has to find the remaining £100 towards the rent, even if he's not working, or a higher proportion based on earnings, when he is.

I assume this would be substantially higher in London but would vary between authorities.

Hope it helps
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:46 pm

I believe it's age related now as well. If you are under a certain age (25?) then you will get less.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:07 pm

What is the difference between normal petrol and the super unleaded premium one? Is it worth getting that one or is it only for super cars?

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Nantha wrote:What is the difference between normal petrol and the super unleaded premium one? Is it worth getting that one or is it only for super cars?

As far as I remember from working in the petrol station, it won't make any real difference unless your cars engine is designed to take super unleaded, though it won't do any harm to a normal engine it just doesn't make sense money wise unless you have a fancy car. Though I could be wrong.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Nantha wrote:What is the difference between normal petrol and the super unleaded premium one? Is it worth getting that one or is it only for super cars?

Don't waste your money. The difference is a higher octane rating[1], which allows the engine to run with more advance without pinking. That in turn can lead to more power. If you're not running with more advance, you're throwing away most of the benefits. It can lead to improved fuel efficiency, but not enough to offset the extra cost. Stick to standard unleaded 95.

[1] Plus some minor differences in additives to keep the fuel path clean (carbs, injectors, valves, etc), but not enough for the average person to care about.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:23 pm

cool cheers :) just wondered

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Mine is designed for premium, but because of the price difference between premium and regular I only see a tiny improvement in price per mile.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Aye, same with mine. It runs ever so slightly better on premium, but not enough to justify putting it in all the time.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:23 pm

What's the rule for parking at train stations overnight?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Fjar wrote:What's the rule for parking at train stations overnight?

Which station? If it's a Network Rail, Transpennine or GTR station I can probably help.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin