The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby Turbo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm

I would mention it as soon as possible. Just mention that you have plans on those two days, fairly sure that unless your hopefully future boss is a total bumhole, he/she will/should respect that you have a life outside of work.

Christmas is a bit of a funny one, I would say if you favour your xmas week/fortnight off AVOID retail. You'll be lucky if you get 2 days off. Our shop had to close because the precinct was closed on the 25th and 26th, the poor fuckers down the road-a-non in a retail park had to open December 26th which is just ridiculous.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, Andy :) I think I'll just bite the bullet and try to mention it at a point where it's most appropriate. I'm shitting bricks but at the same time I can't help but feel really passionate about this sort of position. I'd love to get it.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I wish you the best of luck! Hope everything goes well.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Thank you, Andy :D

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

I'd tell them. Heck some people interviewing you may even ask you outright if you have dates ticked off. If you do get this job, do not let the first day of work finish until they have it down on paper that you have these dates off. I learned this the hard way.

Best of luck, Moo <3
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:50 am

At the end of the interview they should ask if there's anything you want to ask/mention. I would do it then, that's what I did :)
Good luck Mooski!
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:54 am

fluffymoo wrote:Cheers for the reply, Neil. Sucks about your gallbladder btw, I hope the operation goes smoothly.

Thanks. Good luck with the Job.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Cheers for the support, guys! :yes: Sadly, it looks like it's not my type of job. They have far too many policies that I just flat out disagree with.

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Just for future if you don't take that job, as far as I am aware if you have a holiday booked before you take a job they legally have to allow you that time off. Christmas and New Year is a bit different though I think.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Here's a not very specific question... How economical is a motorbike? Could it potentially be worth running both a bike and a car after all costs have been factored in, if the car's only used for long journeys and for carrying heavier stuff?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Depends how often the car is used. It could actually end up cheaper just hiring the car as and when you need it.

But then again, you won't have a car for when it's too dangerous to ride, such as too windy or icy.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:04 pm

I know Bike Insurance is much, much cheaper than car insurance if that helps. I can't remember how cheap, but a "third of the price" seems to be in my head. Pretty vague but there's something anyway :lol: :yes:
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Does anyone know much about DBS checks (formerly called CRB checks)? Basically i'm looking into privately tutoring English at A level and GCSE, but to get an extended disclosure (i.e. one that shows not only I have no criminal record but also that i'm not barred from working with children or vulnerable adults) I need to have the application countersigned by a registered body. No big deal there as I can probably use my mum's company, but what I'm not sure of is whether or not that certificate will only cover me for working for my mum, or for all work with people under 16. Can anyone shed some light?
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Noodle wrote:Here's a not very specific question... How economical is a motorbike? Could it potentially be worth running both a bike and a car after all costs have been factored in, if the car's only used for long journeys and for carrying heavier stuff?

My bike insurance was £150 for the year, so insurance is cheap. They use a lot of petrol though. I'd say it's not really worth having both.

EDIT: Oops, this is Annabel

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Does anyone know much about DBS checks (formerly called CRB checks)? Basically i'm looking into privately tutoring English at A level and GCSE, but to get an extended disclosure (i.e. one that shows not only I have no criminal record but also that i'm not barred from working with children or vulnerable adults) I need to have the application countersigned by a registered body. No big deal there as I can probably use my mum's company, but what I'm not sure of is whether or not that certificate will only cover me for working for my mum, or for all work with people under 16. Can anyone shed some light?

1. You don't need a DBC to tutor privately. Some parents may prefer it. I teach a shit load of kids and my CRB is 2 years old... no-one even asks about it any more. You're better off paying a lawyer to write you a good lesson policy than you are buying a DBS, in terms of less stress and mo' money.

2. The way I understand it the DBS can be used across all your employers/jobs, UNLIKE the CRB, which is why the DBS was introduced. But you'll want to check that!