The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby skull-wart » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 pm

Owen wrote:
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

Aye, wasn't passing that up. Sigged.

Am I missing something here or do you just have a fondness for donner kebab pizza?
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 pm

I understand from a reliable source that his favourite pizza is big sausage.

Its Jage's favourite too, sure enough.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Turbo wrote:I understand from a reliable source that his favourite pizza is big sausage.

I often order a vegetarian pizza with extra toppings of sausage and mince. It can be quite hard to keep a straight face sometimes.

A while back I realised that the easiest way to order the sort of pizza I like is to ask for a vegetarian pizza with meat as extra toppings. Saves me having to specify individual vegetables over the phone.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:46 am

I knew exactly what lay beyond that link haha lovely stuff.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 pm

I think I want to get driving lessons. I've just joined a band and getting my gear around Liverpool isn't half a ball ache. I'm having to get a taxi around most of the time with it. Also the only time I get to use a car is when my Dad offers - but he's just awkward and I'd prefer to have my own transport. I'd also like to travel back to Manc from time to time, or maybe even commute next semester (30 miles or so back and forth).

So considering all that stuff do people have any advice? Would it be worth it from you're experience and how would I go about it. :yes:

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 pm

It's an essential life skill, do it.

But weigh up the costs first. Be prepared to spend around £1000 over 3-9 months on lessons, licences and exams.

30 miles each way or return? I'm doing about 25-30miles each day, 6 days a week, and a 40L tank is lasting me 330 miles or something - 90% on motorway, so that's about £50 every 2 weeks on fuel alone.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Each way, but I'd only be doing it once a week probably so my fuel would be less than that. I was thinking insurance would be the main cost for me though?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 pm

It can be, and could very well be if you're under 25, very likely if you're under 23.

Hint: Make sure a parent is the policyholder but YOU'RE the main driver (if it's your own car). This way you avoid insurance fronting, and do your best to reduce your payments. It's reduced Fjar's insurance down to a third than if she was the policyholder.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the tips :yes: :D

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Keeping your car in a drive way overnight also reduces them, as opposed to parking on the street

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:34 am

Does anyone have any advice about caravans? (Other than "don't clog up the roads")

Me and Nicki are away at various folk weekends during the summer months that involve camping. You've probably seen me bitching about the trailer tent that came with the car we bought, but since 'upgrading' from a small tent to a massive tent and now to a trailer tent that means we no longer sleep on the floor, she doesn't want to go back to a tent, and I'm fed up of putting up this sodding thing to use for a couple of nights at the most.

So, since insurance companies forbid me to drive a campervan, I'm starting to think seriously about a caravan. Apart from damp, towing license and insurance, what else should I look out for? What should I expect to pay for a half decent 2 berth? What are running costs like?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 am

What I know about caravans could be loaded on a fart. As a general rule I wouldn't entertain them. Caravanettes I do fancy but what id imagine doesn't sting you in insurance, their up front price is expensive and from what my dad was looking at - they don't depreciate in price quite as badly as cars do. Consequently after 3 years/36000 miles don't expect to pay 50% of the showroom price, it'll still be pricey.

When you get a caravan ill cover your hand in silver (pounds worth of 5p's) so you can read my palm. ;)

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I have an interview on Friday and I'm struggling with knowing when it would be appropriate to mention my "days off" in November and around Christmas and New Year. Some say not to mention it at the interview, some do. HELP. D:

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm in a similar position as I'm waiting to have my gallbladder removed and it's going to mean 4 weeks off they reckon. But if I don't look for work I don't get my JSA, so I have to keep looking, but I think I'm just going to have to tell them straight.

If I were you I'd tell them, but I guess it depends what sort of person you are. I'd feel a bit cheecky not doing, and feel pretty bad asking for time off right from the off, at busy times.

What sort of job is it if you don't mind me asking? Because that might affect your decision, and how strict they are on time off over christmas.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Cheers for the reply, Neil. Sucks about your gallbladder btw, I hope the operation goes smoothly.

I'm going in for an interview for a position as a Hospitality Assistant at an all girls' school. I'll basically be doing what I did in my previous work. It looks like they shut down over Christmas and New Year's, so I suppose having the 22nd-4th off won't be too much of an issue for them. I'm having 26th and 27th off in November as well, which is the middle of the week.

I'm a very honest person and I'd hate to mislead them by not telling them straight, so I suppose it's my only option really.