The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby Fjar » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:
siliconfury wrote:Cover letters are basically "I am available for that advertised job on this date. CV attached. Cheerio", written in more formal terms.
Fjar wrote:
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:A short interests section, included a part of a covering letter.

Nooooo. The covering letter is a piece of purely professional correspondence regarding the vacancy and why you want to fill it, surely?

You might as well quote the whole sentence I wrote at least. :rolleyes:

"I'm here, gimme the job"
"This is why I would be good for this job" (outside of any basic info on CV)
"Why I think I am the best person" (might include interests due to position applied for)
"Contact me, or I'll break your kneecaps"

CV, basic info. Covering letter, fluff.

You can highlight your achievements & history in a CV with ease, but a simple covering letter can target a basic CV to a specific job with just a few quick edits. May have been a very personal thing for me, but I found it of greater help when having to trawl through 100+ CVs every Christmas.

...so where does "a short interests section" fit into the cover letter?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:"I'm here, gimme the job"
"This is why I would be good for this job" (outside of any basic info on CV)
"Why I think I am the best person" (might include interests due to position applied for)
"Contact me, or I'll break your kneecaps"

CV, basic info. Covering letter, fluff.

It's not even as much as that, the cover letter simply lets the person who opened the envelope/receive the email know which vacancy you're applying for.

Anything above that really depends on both the industry and the type of job you're going for.

You can highlight your achievements & history in a CV with ease, but a simple covering letter can target a basic CV to a specific job with just a few quick edits.

Each CV should be crafted for the specific job you're applying for - when you list your experience in each previous role, highlight things you did that are relevant to the job you're applying for.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Fjar wrote:...so where does "a short interests section" fit into the cover letter?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:"Why I think I am the best person" (might include interests due to position applied for)

And as I said above, 'if worded correctly' interests can be used as a way to highlight other reasons why you might be suitable for the position.

siliconfury wrote:It's not even as much as that, the cover letter simply lets the person who opened the envelope/receive the email know which vacancy you're applying for.

Anything above that really depends on both the industry and the type of job you're going for.

You can highlight your achievements & history in a CV with ease, but a simple covering letter can target a basic CV to a specific job with just a few quick edits.

Each CV should be crafted for the specific job you're applying for - when you list your experience in each previous role, highlight things you did that are relevant to the job you're applying for.

There is no right or wrong here, as the premise & outcome remains the same whichever way it's done. I prefer sending & receiving a CV that could almost be sent out as a default for any job or industry applied for & then highlighting areas with a covering letter. Again, as I said, maybe a personal thing.

Each should be crafted, but there is no definitive way of doing this, only a set of recommendations. Which is why you can get so many different styles across your desk.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Out of interest, have any of you actually been in the employer position instead of just employee (besides Tet)?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:Out of interest, have any of you actually been in the employer position instead of just employee (besides Tet)?

I have done sifting, and it really fucking helps when the boss of whoever's being recruited fully defines a job description, rather just than listing basic keywords - makes it a million times easier to sift.

Also: I just use what works for me in my industry, ymmv.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Fortunately I tended to have carte blanche, so didn't have to worry about much besides a gut feeling. Still an utter pain in the arse trawling through it all & fairly brutal.

An inexact science if there ever was one.

EDIT:

I bet one of the guidelines, on 'Why did your CV get binned' isn't 'Because you used the wrong font' :eyes:

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Indeed, after a couple of dozen you don't really look at fonts.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Does make me wonder why more places don't use application forms?

It's generally a far easier way to get through a lot of people & ask screening questions etc. Also, in the case of online submissions, I suppose you could have software do some of the filtering process for you. However impersonal that may be.

Regardless of all this, I hope anyone searching has some luck.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:15 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:Out of interest, have any of you actually been in the employer position instead of just employee (besides Tet)?

I did some graduate interviews for my old company and have been interviewing some guys for my team in this role. It's a daunting task to be honest. Be wary of using "buzz words" with no actual experience of them, agencies will search CVs by these words. For example we've had a load of people saying they have SCCM or packaging experience and can't even explain the simplest aspects of it.

Everyone embellishes the truth a little on their CVs, the only thing is that you at least have some knowledge of what you're talking about.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 am

I normally ignore what an agency says about someone.

"He has 10 years experience of SharePoint 2010."

/facedesk

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:09 pm

It was the same agency I went through and got hired with. My interviewers were given a copy of my CV that had been formatted into the agency format. Thankfully I brought a couple of copies of my CV (Protip, always bring spare CVs to an interview, the interviewer may not have one handy and it shows you are prepared).

And Jim, I've had much worse things in interviews, like my graduate interviews:

Me: Tell me about some of your achievements
Interviewee: Hmmm, well I bought a brilliant wedding present for my sister that made her cry
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Bisset wrote:It was the same agency I went through and got hired with. My interviewers were given a copy of my CV that had been formatted into the agency format. Thankfully I brought a couple of copies of my CV (Protip, always bring spare CVs to an interview, the interviewer may not have one handy and it shows you are prepared).

And Jim, I've had much worse things in interviews, like my graduate interviews:

Me: Tell me about some of your achievements
Interviewee: Hmmm, well I bought a brilliant wedding present for my sister that made her cry

Rofl, no wonder unemployment is high, everyone wanting a job is a moron :lol:

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Name the worst French band you know of. Go.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Marseille

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:21 am

Fjar wrote:Name the worst French band you know of. Go.

Gojira?
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing