Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Noodle
I am the Law!

Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Postby Noodle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Vroom vroom season is upon us. The previous Formula 1 thread appears to have fallen to the Bond villain's overly complicated and overblown torture device, so here's a new thread without restricting it to just F1.

F1, Moto GP, rallying, touring cars (remember that?), lawnmower racing, drag racing, etc.

Let's begin.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Re: Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Postby Beardy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Man, I used to love the BTCC! Proper racing with guys like Andy Rouse, John Cleland, Steve Soper and Will Hoy behind the wheels where the finishing order of the first race would be reversed and that was the grid for the second race. They started bringing in too many convoluted regs and that 'feature' race where only 2 wheels got changed on the car and it just lost something for me... they need to just simplify it and take it back to the pure racing it used to be... [/nostalgia]

Sorry you can return to the rest of the thread now.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 pm

A much bigger fan of two wheels than four, used to follow F1 once upon a time, but nowadays just keep an eye on results. Looking forward to the new MotoGP season (hopefully Rossi can challenge again now he's off the Ducati), and the WSBK is already underway after Aprilia took the two races at Phillip Island.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Beardy wrote:Man, I used to love the BTCC! Proper racing with guys like Andy Rouse, John Cleland, Steve Soper and Will Hoy behind the wheels where the finishing order of the first race would be reversed and that was the grid for the second race. They started bringing in too many convoluted regs and that 'feature' race where only 2 wheels got changed on the car and it just lost something for me... they need to just simplify it and take it back to the pure racing it used to be... [/nostalgia]

Sorry you can return to the rest of the thread now.

I caught the end of the Hoy/Cleland/Soper era. I remember Cleland's last race, with the commentators talking to him on the radio. Alain Menu had a cone wedged into his grille for half the race. Nowadays the only interest I have now is from Jason Plato and Matt Neal. It's certainly not that exciting any more.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Haha, I remember that! If I had to choose one sequence of racing to sum up the glory days of the BTCC it would be this every time for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCij9mYIokA

foxi
Leather Rebel

Postby foxi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

MotoGP (I work at the British round most years), and road racing (TT, NW200 etc.) for me.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Does anyone catch BRISCA racing? Used to go to Racewall Cowdenbeath with my parents every fortnight when I was a little 'un, and went to a few other raceways around the country like Arena Essex, Skegness and Hartlepool.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

MetallerMathius
Powermetal Child

Postby MetallerMathius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I caught the motorsport bug from a young age. I used to go to the BTCC and RallyCross almost every other weekend with my Dad. I still like going now. Brands is a great day out and nice and local.

The F1 season has just begun and I'm going to try and watch each race after a bit of neglecting it over the years. I was well chuffed for Kimi on Sunday. Well driven.
Just because I'm 6'9 does not give you the excuse to throw things at my head.

foxi
Leather Rebel

Postby foxi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Ah yes, I'm a bit of a Belle Vue Aces fan as well. Missed last season though due to travel commitments, but I'll hopefully get back to a few races when I return to Blighty.

Bio-Zombi
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bio-Zombi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:38 am

I'm a big fan of the BTCC love watching all 7 hours of it when it's on itv4,will they be showing the new season?

I'm also a big fan of the Aussie V8 series,my dad lives out there and got me into it he lives opposite one of the drivers dads.
You should try being dead...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Noodle wrote:F1, Moto GP, rallying, touring cars (remember that?), lawnmower racing, drag racing, etc.

Drag racing, you say? The season starts in a week and a half. My car's still not ready. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. It's getting there, but it's cutting it a lot tighter than I'd have liked!
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Finding the F1 really interesting so far. Now that (in my mind at least) Vettel's properly established himself as one of the greats, especially going from pitlane start to podium in Abu Dhabi last year, I don't mind that much if someone else wins this year.

Happy to see Massa back at the sharp end and out qualifying Alonso (4 races in a row now :) ), the Lotus is looking very competitive (obviously after last weekend), the Mercedes could join the battle, and if McLaren get their hands out their arses and work on the car fast enough, could have 4 main (Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen, Hamilton) and 3 other (Button, Massa, Rosberg) possible title contenders
:D
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Bio-Zombi
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bio-Zombi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:34 am

I can't make my mind up if I liked yesterdays Grand Prix or not......
You should try being dead...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 am

I hated it. Neither Hamilton or Brawn have any integrity. And the less said about Vettel the better.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am

The amount of money involved in F1 is so big that any loss of points is a disaster, i'd love there to be no team orders and to allow all drivers to race, but F1 is a bsuiness and if drivers take each other out, the loss of money is astronomical and sadly that's just how it is, the team bosses need to have control of all their employees, not just the guys who make the it happen, but the drivers too

I think Lewis is playing a very clever political game at the moment, he did as he was told by Ross Brawn yesterday, and let's be honest would you disobey your new boss after only knowing him a few months, he's earning his trust in the team and this will stand him in good stead later down the line, you want to have a team around you that trust you, even if your intentions are not honourable, if the team believe they are,m they will walk through fire for you :yes:

Vettell yesterday proved exactly who he is, and I expect nobody to trust him again, Mark Webber said what he had to on that podium about Seb having his own agenda and the team will protect him as usual, his contract is up end of the season, so expect him to leave, as for Vettel, I will never have any respect for him again after yesterday and I think a lot of fans will feel the same
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol: