Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Postby kanet666 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:37 pm

kanet666 wrote:Wow, I liked Marc Marquez up until this weekend, but today proved just what a little snake he is. Clearly slowed down allowing Lorenzo to pass before deliberately dueling with Rossi, and then seemed to force contact causing Rossi to kick out slightly, knocking him off.

This wouldn't be much of an issue had it not forced Rossi to start from the back of the grid in the final race, pretty much gifting Lorenzo the title. Can't stand Lorenzo, and Marc has been riding dirty to seemingly back him up is disgusting.

Wow, when I put this I wasn't expecting it to get worse. Lorenzo got the title after all, but not without another helping hand from Marquez. Rossi got from dead last to 4th, but needed both Honda rivals to overtake Lorenzo to get the title. Dani Pedrosa tried at least, but Marquez sat directly behind Lorenzo the entire race despite clearly being the faster, and seemed to block Pedrosa from making a pass with 2 laps to go.

Well done to Lorenzo, he's been consistent this year and won the most races so deserves his title, but it would have been Rossi's without the huge amount of input from Marquez. Absolutely awful behaviour for a rider held in such high regard within the sport. Next year is going to be potentially explosive.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

How do you pronounce that driver's name?

http://namethatdriver.com/select_driver.asp
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Written from the perspective of the Aussie audience, and I don't watch much F1 so can't really comment on the focus of coverage, but I must say I refer to Autosport magazine as "F1 weekly". So much of that rag is devoted to F1 and other premier series get maybe a page or two, but not much more.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Got my medical done today, and got my ARDS test in two weeks. Provided I pass that, I'll be licensed to do circuit racing at a national level! :D

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Awesome. I've been holding off on my licence this year, because I need to see if I've got funding to compete at the top level again (in which case, I'll need an FIA International Licence). If I don't get the funding, I'll get a cheaper national licence instead and compete in the lower classes.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Might be easier that way, and upgrade it when it comes to renewal time later this year. Only down side is you'll need to do a medical again but with an ECG (unless you're already over 45).

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Jim wrote:Only down side is you'll need to do a medical again but with an ECG (unless you're already over 45).

At my level, I need to do an ECG every year anyway. Or every two years, since they consider the results valid for 24 months.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Right. I know Mercedes often talk up their rivals so they can look better when they win and possibly slightly less bad if they don't, but this seems interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35525585

Mercedes Engine boss Andy Cowell wrote:"Everybody here is assuming we're going to get beaten by Ferrari, and Honda are a big threat."

He probably means on a few individual races though, rather than across the season, which makes it a far smaller claim.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Passed my ARDS test today! Should get my licence through next week I think.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun May 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Read that as AIDS test ^

In other news, well done, Verstappen. Fucking 18 years old. I actually remember 1997, dammit.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue May 17, 2016 6:40 am

Maybe we could do with both Mercedes cars taking each other out more often if it produces more racing as exciting as that! Ricciardo (by the way, if you watched Channel 4's coverage, listen to how Christian Horner pronounces it...) got a really raw deal after Ferrari eventually managed to outwit Red Bull, but even that produced an (admittedly fanciful) attempt at passing the whiny multi-champion.

But yes, overjoyed for Max! Clearly more talented than Kvyat and even with the slightly whiffy circumstances surrounding the "non-demotion"/promotion, was a well fought race against Kimi and thoroughly deserved his outcome. Whether Kvyat would have ben able to do that can be up for debate but I can only picture him locking up, going wide and messing up. I can absolutely understand his post race interview though as even in the world of the driver market in F1, especially in Red Bull, he's been given such a raw deal.

I'm not even going to pass comment on Lewis and Nico's crash since it doesn't really affect anythbetter rad has led to a better race outcome than "what an interesting fight for the last podium"
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Noodle wrote:Ricciardo (by the way, if you watched Channel 4's coverage, listen to how Christian Horner pronounces it...)

Incorrectly! Ricciardo himself has said so, but that he's not bothered about Christian pronouncing it wrongly.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed May 25, 2016 12:11 am

Noodle wrote: Ricciardo (by the way, if you watched Channel 4's coverage,

I did, on 4OD. As it turns out, the full race and qualifying don't get put on there at all if they do the race live, so instead of 5 hours of coverage of the weekend I got a paltry 54 minutes...also someone spoilered me by going OH YOU DON'T KNOW WHO WON?? OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THE RACE, like that didn't make things fucking clear...

Not happy at all with how that turned out. As for the race itself, not bad! Interesting how the commentators were referring to it as a great response to people saying it's been getting boring, casually ommitting it was only happening because the Mercedes crash.

On the crash itself: my view - Hamilton's fault, somewhat understandable though given Nico's weird engine issue thing making him slow out of 3. Still dumb to dive down the inside when Nico had clearly already started moving over to that side long before the start of the braking phase...

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri May 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Worth a separate post. Fucking british media with it's hamtilon-centric arse-kissing. Hamilton was 1/10th ahead, in practice and here's the headline:

Andrew Benson wrote:Awesome Hamilton dominates in Monaco

My god, this article has never seemed more relevant
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/11/18/formula-ones-hamilton-centric-media-coverage-must-end-now/