The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby WorMzy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Oh man, I went to the gym for the first time since November(?) on Wednesday, and my legs and abdomen are still not impressed with me.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Surgery went well, coming round from the general anaesthetic was the worst thing in the world. Fuck that shit.

I've since eaten stuff that would usually have me doubled over unable to think through the pain and been absolutely fine. Immense relief.

Only thing is I now seem to have caught a cold, or flu or something. Waiting to see if my temperature goes up before I haul myself back to the doctors.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:57 am

Couple of things:

1. General fitness is definitely improving Doing three major weight sessions a week (Push, Pull and Legs) and I'm already seeing benefits in muscles and energy. my 6am runs aren't crippling me nearly as much as they did before.

2. I think I've narrowed down Sulphur burps to a massive increase in protein, typically on days that I'm doign a lot of weights. Ah well, all in moderation!
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Started at the gym today. Bit nervous that I'll hate the results again :( My body loves putting on muscle but won't give up the fat.
Making a conscious diet effort too so we'll see... I just can't really enjoy working out knowing that i could just be making myself butch again.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Had my eye surgery the other day. It looks fucking horrible at the moment but once all the blood has been reabsorbed I should be able to see more than I could out my right eye before (an improvement from 0% is always welcome)
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Glad there's lots of information out there to fix what I now understand to be a terrible anterior pelvic tilt (think Donald Duck posture) that I've actually grown rather embarrassed about, even though it's not too noticeable to others, and explains why I had to stop going to the gym for a few weeks due to bad lower back pain caused by squatting with APT.

The thing is I might have to devise a whole new workout routine (if you can call it that), my sitting and possibly even sleeping posture to correct it, but there we are.

JPMC
Powermetal Child

Postby JPMC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 am

NeglectedField wrote:Glad there's lots of information out there to fix what I now understand to be a terrible anterior pelvic tilt (think Donald Duck posture) that I've actually grown rather embarrassed about, even though it's not too noticeable to others, and explains why I had to stop going to the gym for a few weeks due to bad lower back pain caused by squatting with APT.

The thing is I might have to devise a whole new workout routine (if you can call it that), my sitting and possibly even sleeping posture to correct it, but there we are.

Have you had a PT run through some corrective exercises with you? One of the biggest improvements you can make to correcting this imbalance is to start your workout routine with specific stretches. Without seeing you, I can't really advise properly, but in general anything that will really stretch your hip flexors, quads and psoas. I know it sounds girly but if your gym runs any yoga and/or Pilates classes, these would be great to teach you a few stretches you can incorporate into any lifting you do.

As for specific exercises, the ones I give clients are basically:
- Glute bridges
- Sit ups and russian twist supersets
- Both adductor and abductor machines
- Corrective deadlifting
- 3rd world squats

The idea is you want to strengthen the abdominal muscles and during the deadlift/squat not lifting too heavy so as to promote lordosis rather than correct it. This also means breathing correctly.

If you haven't already, a few PT sessions are well worth it.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:06 pm

I've been getting tingling in my left arm and hand when I move my head back. It looks like it could be a trapped nerve or slipped disk. I don't know whether to go to the doctor or not, because I just don't like doing. Anyone else had this?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:42 am

Metalchemyst wrote:I've been getting tingling in my left arm and hand when I move my head back. It looks like it could be a trapped nerve or slipped disk. I don't know whether to go to the doctor or not, because I just don't like doing. Anyone else had this?

Yes - mainly in the first two fingers and thumb and occasionally up the up arm. Googled it and its named 'Saturday Night Palsy' as it can happen if you've been drinking and sleep heavily on your arm without moving. Pretty much what happened. Went to doctors who did some movement tests and recommended physio but by the time it came through the feelings had gone (8 weeks ish) and had nothing similar since.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am

Metalchemyst wrote:I've been getting tingling in my left arm and hand when I move my head back. It looks like it could be a trapped nerve or slipped disk. I don't know whether to go to the doctor or not, because I just don't like doing. Anyone else had this?

Yes - mainly in the first two fingers and thumb and occasionally up the up arm. Googled it and its named 'Saturday Night Palsy' as it can happen if you've been drinking and sleep heavily on your arm without moving. Pretty much what happened. Went to doctors who did some movement tests and recommended physio but by the time it came through the feelings had gone (8 weeks ish) and had nothing similar since.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 pm

someone else wrote:

Thanks. It's not got any worse and probably slightly better, so I'll give it few more days (it's weekend anyway).

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Isn't that what happened to Dave Mustaine a few years back, only a lot worse?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:58 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:Isn't that what happened to Dave Mustaine a few years back, only a lot worse?

Not sure, but I think it happened to Tommy Bolin in Deep Purple while on heroin, where he damaged his nerves and could only play barre chords

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Mustaine's conditition was probably this:
https://www.musicianshealth.com/carpel- ... guitarists

The tingling in my arm and hand has defintely improved after 3 1/2 weeks, but still noticable, especially in bed in certain positions and when I bend down to pick something up.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:14 am

Reviving this thread because I just read on a news feed that a man who hadn't had sex in months went to a festival in the US and caught the monkey pox?