The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Moonburp
Denim Demon

The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby Moonburp » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeah, this was coming for a while as it kept popping up in other threads.

So whatcha do? Been curious as to whether anyone does any team based sports on the forum? Anyone game for some 5-a-side at BOA this year? :P

Discuss, share, encourage.

Dr Sin
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby Dr Sin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 pm

I play Cricket for my Local team, have done for about 10 years now. It's a good laugh, and a great way to spend your Saturday afternoons in the Summer.

But I do need to lose a few pounds, need to get my Bikini Body for Bloodstock!

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Over the years I've become less interested in fitness/organised sports, but I partook in a few when I was younger.

I played football for 7-odd years for my school team and Rugby for 2 for my local team. I also tried my hand at Judo and cricket but didn't stick at either long enough to become any good or fully enjoy it.

I still love playing football, though. Will have to bring a ball to ArcTanGent as I won't be at BOA. ;)
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 pm

I Swim mainly, but have decided that I'm going to join the local woman's cricket team.

I have always been interested in cricket and the Stats behind it (I did my Statistics dissertation on cricket) and decided I fancied doing something a bit more sociable than just swimming so decided why not.

I have actually had a week off swimming as I have a bastard of a cold but getting back into it next week. First session will probably kill me.
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 pm

After being waylayed by illness last year, I've got back into running and did a reasonable 10k in November last year. Since Xmas I've improved to the point of contemplating a half marathon. I've lost 2st in 6 months and run several times a week (on treadmill and roads), most weeks 10-11k minimum with a max of about 16k.

Changing gyms helped - I was at a warehouse type one which closed suddenly, so was forced to look for others and found a great smaller local one where the staff are more encouraging.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm

I despise any kind of group sports tbh. I was terrible at PE at school and used to skip it, although I am pretty into exercising by myself. I quit the gym because I couldn't afford it, but I do a range of running, cycling, fitness DVDs (INSANITY YEAH!) and weights and resistance at home, with the help of my muscle man brother who seems to be a fountain of knowledge when it comes to these things.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 pm

I think people's Abs photo should be compulsory in this thread ha ha.
I see the bad moon arising.

Dr Sin
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Dr Sin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Ghost wrote:I think people's Abs photo should be compulsory in this thread ha ha.

Or Bingo Wings!

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:19 pm

I've been doing a fair bit recently. In a month I've managed to achieve shit I could never do before like proper sit ups and press ups, but it's made me kinda buiky... I've put on 3kg and my arms don't fit into my shirts anymore...
All this shit people say about exercise making you lose weight it all backwards for me, I only put it on :?

this is how i look at the moment :eyes:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/23bf171d5c04 ... 1_1280.jpg

I'm focusing less on weights and more on cardio and diet now. Running, burpees and pull-ups are my staple! I'm about to start riding and swimming again when it gets a bit warmer too.
I'd do team sports if I had any friends who did them/ could afford a club

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:36 pm

You definitely don't look bulky!! I want your stomach :(

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:I despise any kind of group sports tbh. I was terrible at PE at school and used to skip it,

I'm the complete opposite. That's the thing I miss most about school, the fact we had a few hours per week dedicated to sport. You wouldn't think it to look at me now but I was was pretty good at football and rugby (league) back in the day. Without sounding big headed I reckon I could have made the school team for both with a bit of effort, though probably not as a regular starter.
One thing though that I never really appreciated at the time was just how hard it is to get 25 or so lads together for a 5 aside tournament. We used to have them almost weekly at school, these days it's nigh on impossible to get 3 of us together for a kick about in the park, let alone put together a team of five, and let's not even mention trying to get enough for two teams. It just doesn't happen, people are away at uni, working, busy, have other commitments etc. So when I think back to school thats the one thing I miss, a large group all doing sports.
I kind of regret not starting at a club at young age, but around the time I got good I kind of fealt it was too late to join a local club.
I was part of a 5 aside team that was part of a league that we started in high school at the soccer dome at the trafford centre. But once we left school and had different things going on at different places we began to drift and there wasn't the same level of commitment. And the captain basically rang me one day at college and said him and 2 others were quitting. If I couldn't find 3 new players in 2 hours time he'd ring up and cancel our team. And unsurprisingly not many 17/18 year olds were interested in giving up their friday night to play football, and the few who were interested couldn't due to other commitments anyway, so that was that.
I miss it. I'd love more than anything just to get 12 of us (always preferred 6 aside) and have a good hour or so playing. But I can't see that happening any time soon.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:41 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:You definitely don't look bulky!! I want your stomach :(

This.
Hamdir you're actually kind of my body inspiration :P
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 pm

peypea wrote:

This.

whaa? :lol: thanks, but I don't get that at all
The only reason I have a semi-flat stomach is because I'm tall and have a long torso. It's not from sit ups or owt :P
Also I have a fat back D:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Nantha wrote:I've been doing a fair bit recently. In a month I've managed to achieve shit I could never do before like proper sit ups and press ups, but it's made me kinda buiky... I've put on 3kg and my arms don't fit into my shirts anymore...
All this shit people say about exercise making you lose weight it all backwards for me, I only put it on :?

Depends on what you do - heavier weights/low reps tend bulk you up while lighter/higher reps will tone you.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:50 pm

Nantha wrote:
peypea wrote:

This.

whaa? :lol: thanks, but I don't get that at all
The only reason I have a semi-flat stomach is because I'm tall and have a long torso. It's not from sit ups or owt :P
Also I have a fat back D:

I've molested your back. Didn't feel fat to me. Remind me to touch you up again next time I see you :eyes: (which won't be tonight because I'm too sick to come out :( )
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.